LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017
Marty Brodeur
Marty St.louis
Daniel Alfredsson
Curtis Joseph

Bryan Murray

Those are my choices for next year's class.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Andreychuk?

I don't want to keep piling on the guy as that's been going on for months and it's not like he was a bad guy or player...

Let's just say he was a good player who played for a long time.

He really wasn't too special if you take away from his massive longevity. His induction - along with Housley's - effectively lowers the standard in many people's opinions.

And that was enough of a reason to put him in.

Housley was one of only 8 defensemen to reach 1000 points. That's why he's in.
Andreychuk was one of only 9 players to score over 600 goals and captain his team to a SC. That's why he's in.

Nothing else matters for those two players.
The HOF is not just about single season top 10 finishes and trophies. The HOF is not just about peak and prime.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
The back log is ridiculous...
Manon Rheaume (as a player not this stupid builder crap)
Kim St-Pierre
Kim Martin
Jenny Potter
Chanda Gunn
Vicky Sunohara
Jennifer Botterill
Jayna Hefford
Sarah Tueting
Hong Guo
Erin Whitten
Cherie Piper
Krissy Wendell-Pohl
Tuula Puputti

I'm sure I'm still missing some.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
what it boils down to is lafontaine has 6.5 or 7 meaningful seasons and roenick has 11 or 11.5.
I don't think that's what it boils down to. You're over-rating longevity (IMO). What you've basically shown is that Roenick had about one truly elite season and a handful of borderline ones.

My question is: Does a handful of borderline and 'very-good' seasons make a Hall of Famer?

It shouldn't, but sadly the Hall seems to think it does.

Ah well, if nothing else, Roenick's induction speech should be entertaining...

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Brodeur and St. Louis are obvious. I am not optimistic to see who else is added. Ideally I would like them to start adding European greats who never played in the NHL. Firsov is probably the player I would most like to see added.

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
Look what happened in the years that Wayne Gretzky and Patrick Roy were inducted, because Wayne Gretzky is the greatest player of all-time, and Patrick Roy is arguably the best goaltender of all-time. There were 5 inductees in 1999, and Wayne Gretzky was the only inductee from the player category, because, I'm assuming, the voters played the "Gretzky is peerless" game. Legends of Hockey - Induction Showcase - 1999 Induction

Then in 2006 they inducted Patrick Roy with a player from a different era, because Patrick Roy is "peerless." That player was Dick Duff from the 50s-60s and early-70s. Legends of Hockey Net - An official web channel of the Hockey Hall of Fame . They also inducted the deceased coach, Herb Brooks.

I think the Hockey Hall Of Fame voting committee will play this game again in 2018 with Martin Brodeur being the only inductee in the player category, or they will vote to induct players from a different era with Brodeur, because Brodeur is "peerless" and they will induct a female player as well, and a coach.

MY PREDICTION

THE 2018 HOCKEY HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES

01. Martin Brodeur
02. Lorne Chabot
03. Jayna Hefford
04. Bryan Murray

The Contenders
Legends of Hockey - Induction Showcase - 2016 Induction Eligibility

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I don't think Joseph should have to wait any longer

He's more deserving than the likes of Alfie and Roenick

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
to me it is a no brainer that fleury deserves in before alfredsson but i suspect the opposite will hold true.

roenick's career started off brilliantly but he was like a circus sideshow at the end, i'm on the fence with him.

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
I don't think Joseph should have to wait any longer

He's more deserving than the likes of Alfie and Roenick

For sure. Plus after the legends game last weekend, I'd gladly make that drive again for Team Brodeur vs. Team Joseph.

Brodeur
St. Louis
Joseph
Fleury

I have an incredible amount of sympathy for Theo Fleury, and I wouldn't be surprised if there is a media push for him, especially given the stories that have dominated the news lately.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
On topic
Brodeur
St-Louis
Some other player (ONLY ONE PLEASE)
Kim St-Pierre

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
There's really no reason to be too fussy about Alfredsson's induction at this point if you're not particularly in favor of it; and I'm saying that as someone who is a fan of a team that feuded with his for years (and still is).

Just being objective.

He'd be a decent 3rd wheel this season, along with Brodeur and St-Louis.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Brodeur
St Louis
Alfy
Brind'Amour would be my 4, though I know Brindy would be a divisive pick. There's a lot of guys that could get in that would be able to make as valid of a claim.

Still can't believe that Andreychuk got in over Alfredsson or Brind'Amour. I mean, I can believe it, I just REALLY disagree with it.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Brodeur
St Louis
Alfy
Brind'Amour would be my 4, though I know Brindy would be a divisive pick. There's a lot of guys that could get in that would be able to make as valid of a claim.

Still can't believe that Andreychuk got in over Alfredsson or Brind'Amour. I mean, I can believe it, I just REALLY disagree with it.

That's the thing....
If the 4th pick is divisive, abstain from making a 4th pick...?

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
That's the thing....
If the 4th pick is divisive, abstain from making a 4th pick...?
And that wouldn't be the worst thing, though I'd prefer they take the approach of righting wrongs by inducting people that are still on the outside looking in either due to WHA and how they left the NHL (Tremblay) or that they were an international that never really got the chance at the NHL (Mikhailov) if there's not a good 4th option.

But all said, even if Brind'Amour (or Roenick, or Fleury) would be divisive, given that guys like Housley, Andreychuk, and Dino have been inducted would they really be all that divisive in comparison?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
But all said, even if Brind'Amour (or Roenick, or Fleury) would be divisive, given that guys like Housley, Andreychuk, and Dino have been inducted would they really be all that divisive in comparison?

Hell, you might actually add Alfie to that list if you deem Fleury to be divisive.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
How does Joseph have a better case than Barrasso?

Joseph
- more career wins

Barrasso
More and higher...
- Vezina votes
- top-10 stat finishes
- AST honours
Won a Vezina
Back stopped 2 Stanley Cup winners

I didn't say he had a better case, but who exactly was Barrasso's competition for the Vezina?

Fuhr? Smith? Liut? Vanbiesbrouk?

Solid list of goaltenders, but they pale in comparison to the likes of Hasek, Roy, Brodeur and Belfour

Was Barrasso even a top 5 player on those Cup winning teams? Maybe. But there are lots of non-Hall of Fame goalies who would've come away with 2 Cups had they been Pittsburgh's starter in the early 90's

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Was Barrasso even a top 5 player on those Cup winning teams? Maybe. But there are lots of non-Hall of Fame goalies who would've come away with 2 Cups had they been Pittsburgh's starter in the early 90's

You know the reason why that particular user namedropped him, and it's not even related to Barrasso's achievements.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I didn't say he had a better case, but who exactly was Barrasso's competition for the Vezina?

Fuhr? Smith? Liut? Vanbiesbrouk?

Solid list of goaltenders, but they pale in comparison to the likes of Hasek, Roy, Brodeur and Belfour

And Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, Belfour are going to be in the HHOF for being the best goalies in a low scoring era. Plus, Joseph isn't clearly the 5th best goalie from his own era.

Meanwhile, one of the best goalies from mid-80's to mid-90's is ignored.

Isn't that just the reverse of inducting every Tom, Dick and Harry who scored some points in the 1980's and ignoring the DPE? Is Joseph the Andreychuk of goalies?

Anyways, I think that Barrasso posted a career that would normally be worth celebrating.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Let's be super nice to each other.

If you come up with material like this :

And Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, Belfour are going to be in the HHOF for being the best goalies in a low scoring era. Plus, Joseph isn't clearly the 5th best goalie from his own era.

Meanwhile, one of the best goalies from mid-80's to mid-90's is ignored.

Isn't that just the reverse of inducting every Tom, Dick and Harry who scored some points in the 1980's and ignoring the DPE? Is Joseph the Andreychuk of goalies?

I MIGHT, and I say MIGHT, call you on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Bryan Murray is very qualified to be inducted in the non-player category.

The only thing he has over Jacques Demers is that he speaks the good language.
And I'm not quite sure Demers is the guy with the best case either, though we're getting at a point where 2X Jack Adams + The Most Gutsy Coach Call of all Stanley Cups Coach Calls should be a f***ing no brainer.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->