Next up: Legace lets loose on NHLPA strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleifooss

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=130082&hubName=nhl

"We lost a season for no reason," Legace told The Associated Press. "We should've crumbled last September when the owners wanted a salary cap."

"It makes no sense what we ended up doing," Legace said. "For years, Bob was telling us, `No cap. Owners aren't telling us the truth about their books.' Then out of nowhere, he gives the owners a 24-per cent rollback and it looked like we were panicking.

"Then after saying we wouldn't even consider a salary cap, he backed down on that at the last minute just before the lockout. It was too late, and now we're taking a worse deal."

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
Old news. Already a dozen threads on this same article.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Don Corleone said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=130082&hubName=nhl

"We lost a season for no reason," Legace told The Associated Press. "We should've crumbled last September when the owners wanted a salary cap."

"It makes no sense what we ended up doing," Legace said. "For years, Bob was telling us, `No cap. Owners aren't telling us the truth about their books.' Then out of nowhere, he gives the owners a 24-per cent rollback and it looked like we were panicking.

"Then after saying we wouldn't even consider a salary cap, he backed down on that at the last minute just before the lockout. It was too late, and now we're taking a worse deal."
Then after saying we wouldn't even consider a salary cap, he backed down on that at the last minute just before the lockout.
I think he meant right before the season was cancelled.

Anyway, I can't get enough of the players bashing useless Bob.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Legace said when he was a players' representative for the Red Wings during the 2003-04 season, he publicly said the union should accept a salary cap.

"Bob came to one of our games and screamed at me in our dressing room after I said that," Legace said. "He freaked out on me. He thought I was showing a sign of weakness."
We can add nut case to Bob's growing resume.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Icey said:
Old news. Already a dozen threads on this same article.
It's a new article, check the date.
Legace lets loose on NHLPA strategy

Manny Legace

Associated Press

7/9/2005 9:32:40 PM

DETROIT (AP) - Detroit Red Wings goalie Manny Legace criticized players' union head Bob Goodenow on Saturday for failing to reach a labour deal that could have saved the cancelled 2004-05 season.

think-blue-

Sep 28, 2002
Visit site
Legace said when he was a players' representative for the Red Wings during the 2003-04 season, he publicly said the union should accept a salary cap.

"Bob came to one of our games and screamed at me in our dressing room after I said that," Legace said. "He freaked out on me. He thought I was showing a sign of weakness."

:joker: I can only imagine...but I Guess Legace calling him out publically is his way of getting back...

getnziggywidit said:

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
getnziggywidit said:

It all boils down to his enormous ego. He will never recover from the beating Bettman just gave him. IMO he is done as the union head. No confidence.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
getnziggywidit said:
It's a new article, check the date.

Actually its the same article. The associated press picked up the Detroit article from a few days ago, and TSN published it, as they do a lot.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
think/blue said:
:joker: I can only imagine...but I Guess Legace calling him out publically is his way of getting back...
Yeah I can only hope Legace stood up for himself on that occasion. He should have ripped Bob a new one right there.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Bruwinz37 said:
It all boils down to his enormous ego. He will never recover from the beating Bettman just gave him. IMO he is done as the union head. No confidence.
If it is about ego then he won. Secretly, he may enjoy having canceled the season. He proved he had the power to do so.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
txomisc said:
If it is about ego then he won. Secretly, he may enjoy having canceled the season. He proved he had the power to do so.

I seriously doubt he had Bettman shoving this victory down his throat. You may be right that he takes some morbid pleasure in cancelling a season, but I am sure he is ashamed beyond belief that he lost and now his players are calling him out on it.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Bruwinz37 said:
I seriously doubt he had Bettman shoving this victory down his throat. You may be right that he takes some morbid pleasure in cancelling a season, but I am sure he is ashamed beyond belief that he lost and now his players are calling him out on it.
Well as more and more players speak out, it seems more and more like the man has something seriously wrong with him. I know he should feel ashamed, but im not sure he does. He may even feel like he is being unjustly persecuted. Like an abusive husband kind of scenario "After all I've done for you, how could you do this to me" I can't say I know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I see a quote that I didn't want to read. But in any case I'm really not putting much thought to it either.

"They're not going to announce anything until it's 100-per cent finished and I'm sure they're not going to do it before the all-star game," said Legace, referring to baseball's all-star game Tuesday night in Detroit. "I'm hearing it's all but done and the lawyers have been looking over it, and that it could take 14 to 20 days."

Again, it doesn't make sense that lawyers will look over this for 14-20 more days.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
Scugs said:
I see a quote that I didn't want to read. But in any case I'm really not putting much thought to it either.

Again, it doesn't make sense that lawyers will look over this for 14-20 more days.

lawyers need work too !!

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Scugs said:

Sure. THey should look over a complex 600 document that will define the NHL/NHLPA partnership for the next 6 years in two days to satisfy you. Then, in 3 years when there is the infamous 'loophole' everyone is trying to find on these boards because the agreement was not thoroughly looked over enough, everyone will say - stupid lawyers why didn't they see that? :dunno:

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
blitzkriegs said:
Sure. THey should look over a complex 600 document that will define the NHL/NHLPA partnership for the next 6 years in two days to satisfy you. Then, in 3 years when there is the infamous 'loophole' everyone is trying to find on these boards because the agreement was not thoroughly looked over enough, everyone will say - stupid lawyers why didn't they see that? :dunno:

2 days. :biglaugh:

Try for the past what, 4 weeks now? Almost 5 weeks?

shveik

Jul 6, 2002
Visit site
Don Corleone said:

I have to say I agree with what Legace is saying. If the NHLPA knew that they cannot stomach to be locked out for more than a year, then they should have bent over in September. But in September, all you could hear is that they are prepared for 2 year stoppage.

It's interesting to see that Legace is blaming Goodenow for not having a hard enough stance. He offered the rollback, even caved in on the cap trying to salvage the season. Made NHLPA look WEAK WEAK WEAK (I am having Nike goalie commercial flashbak) :biglaugh: But I thought that the reason for these concessions (at least the February one, and the current almost done deal) is not Goodenow's softness, but the pressure from some NHLPA members. Now Legace is saying that it's all Bob? All you Goodenow bashers should send poor BG apology notes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad