next up; 2008 draft!!

whockeynut

Jun 19, 2007
I know, I know, we just got done with 07', but I am curious to hear some names for the 08' draft. Most of us know the big ones : Stamkos, Hayes, Doughty, Wahl, Wilson, Tuebert, Del Zotto, Piterangelo, McRae, etc... but I want to hear about some lesser known players that most of us might have not seen or heard of.

Kane, JVR, and Turris were nowhere to be found a year ago, but now they went 1-2-3 in this years draft. Give us some info on some lesser known or unheard of kids that you guys think might make a big impact for the 08' draft like the above three have. All countries would be welcomed.

I am especially curious to hear U.S. college eligible players since this years crop was pretty weak. Will 08' be another weak year for U.S colleges? Does the USHL and U.S National developement programs continue to get most of the draft eligible players? Anythoughts would be nice.

I think 2 sleepers for 08' will be A.J Jenks, and Thomas Mcullom. They may not be sleepers, but they will be draft day risers in my eyes.

I agree with the jenks kid. He is huge he can skate, shoot, pass hit, He may be the most well rounded in the draft.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I think I would take Doughty first personally (as of today anyway) Stamkos is pretty unreal, but Doughty's offensive is just ridiculous for a defenseman his age IMO, I really wouldn't be surprised to see him hit 100 points next year, especially as that whole team in Guelph matures, and when was the last time a defenseman put up those sort of stats in his draft year in the OHL?

I've only seen him 2 or 3 times, and I am certainly not a scout, but his offensive skill is just uncanny.

Willis

Aug 2, 2005
Beach is more like a Keith Tkachuk or Brendan Shannahan. I think he has alot more potential then either one though

A lot more potential than Brendan Shanahan means you would end up with Gretzky or Messier. Right!

Now if he "only" turns into Shanahan then any team that drafts him will be jumping for joy. That is a HOF career.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
A lot more potential than Brendan Shanahan means you would end up with Gretzky or Messier. Right!

Now if he "only" turns into Shanahan then any team that drafts him will be jumping for joy. That is a HOF career.

No I think he has a chance to be a pretty consistent 50 goal guy with 150+ PIM every year

Hes big and can skate really well. He is a bit nuts and needs to control that. But Honestly as a 16 year old in the WHL last year to do what he did was pretty damm impressive. The reason I say he has more "potential" than a shanahan is he skates alot better as a 16 year old then Shanahan ever has.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Heres a few other lesser known WHL players to keep an eye on

Geordie Wudrick -Swift Current Broncos. Good skater decent size. Should be expected to score more this season
Neal Prokop-Moose Jaw Warriors. Huge Center,Good skill. Tough first year in the league could possibly break out and climb the rankings
Eric Mestery-Spokane Chiefs. Huge Defenceman. Doesnt play a very physical game but is above average puck mover
Travis Bobbee-Lethbridge Hurricanes. Slick skating defenceman. Small in size but should put up bigger numbers this year
Dale Hunt-Prince George Cougers. Speedy Right wing. He should score more this year but if he doesnt his stock will fall
Colby Robak-Brandon Wheat Kings. Steady puck moving defenceman. Good size and decent offensive instincts
Michael Stone-Calgary Hitmen. Big solid stay at home Defenceman. Likes to hit would like to see him get meaner

HT9

Jun 19, 2006
Anybody have an early list for the top 10ish goalies in the draft?

cdnhky1

May 16, 2002
Visit site

As far as those playing in North American are concerned:

From the Q:

Poulin
Delmas
Tardif
Mayer

From the O:

Pasquale
Hutchinson
Carrozzi

From the Dub:

DeSerres
Holtby
Bosch
Pickard

Don't know enough about the guys playing in Europe or the US to include any of them.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
No I think he has a chance to be a pretty consistent 50 goal guy with 150+ PIM every year

Hes big and can skate really well. He is a bit nuts and needs to control that. But Honestly as a 16 year old in the WHL last year to do what he did was pretty damm impressive. The reason I say he has more "potential" than a shanahan is he skates alot better as a 16 year old then Shanahan ever has.

At the NHL level? I'd like to see that.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
For U.S. non-CHL goalies, the NTDP and U18 USA Four Nations guys are probably the best we have to offer...

-Aaron Crandell was high school last year, playing in the USHL next year.
-Brady Hjelle was in high school last year, and I believe he's returing for his senior year.
-Mike Clemente NTDP
-Nick Maricic NTDP
-Joe Cannata NTDP

There are other possibilities of course, and I'm sure there are other USHL goalies that'll be rated higher by next summer too.

HT9

Jun 19, 2006
Anybody know anything about Martin Jones? does he have a shot to get drafted?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad