next Superpest Prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
I think Ott's the favorite for this one. Even in the AHL he's a wanted man. Heck, even some of his own supporters can't stand him. The kid learned how to piss his opponents off in 10 different languages when he was 17/18, fights everyone, and everywhere, even though he can't fight himself out of a wet paper bag. He's just annyoing both physicly and vocally. I think most Stars/Oiler fans just have to love him for his altercation with Laraque in his rookie season during the playoffs.

I still remember his first NHL shift. Believe it was against the Preds. He jumped onto the ice, locked his target and skated as hard as he could towards his victim for the check. He litterly flew through the boards.. It was just the perfect introduction for him, it's what he's all about.

Plus, his nickname speaks for itself as well.

denphis

F. Duchemin said:
Steve ott maybe?

he's definetly the newest SUPER pest, i read that after the 2002 olympics he asked lindros if he had given his medal to thorton yet because he didn't deserve to be there. i know lindros does't get alot of respect now anyway i thought that was ballsy for a young player. as an oilers fan i hate anyone that plays for dallas but i would take ott in a second to be on my team.

jeffbrown

Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I think the unwritten definition of a hockey pest is a relatively undersized guy who goes around running guys. Do you ever hear of a big guy, say 6'4 defined as a pest? Not really....he's just being aggressive. The guys that get hit (usually bigger guys, or star players) usually react by mumbling, "What the??? What's this little puke hitting me for? I can't fight him because I'm 6'3 and he's 5'9. Damn".

The degree to which you are rated a pest is elevated if you don't back up your actions (ie fight). Let me explain. I'm a Vancouver fan, so I have most knowledge of Matt Cooke compared to other pests. Apparently the dislike of Cooke is that he runs around, hits anyone, yaps incessantly, but doesn't drop the gloves (or rarely does). He would be considerd a super pest because you can't get back at him to fight.

A guy like Barnaby or Tootoo, while they are pests with the same attributes as Cooke, the difference is they drop the gloves alot more than Cooke. In this regard, Barnaby et al are pest/enforcers since they do engage in pugilistics quite often.

jeffbrown

Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
OH yeah, with all the talk about Ott as a super-pest, which I agree with, let me say that in hindsight (it's a beautiful thing, isn't it?) I wish the Canucks had drafted him instead of Nathan mega-bust Smith. Doh!

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
denphis said:
i read that after the 2002 olympics he asked lindros if he had given his medal to thorton yet because he didn't deserve to be there.

:lol: :lol

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
denphis said:
he's definetly the newest SUPER pest, i read that after the 2002 olympics he asked lindros if he had given his medal to thorton yet because he didn't deserve to be there. i know lindros does't get alot of respect now anyway i thought that was ballsy for a young player. as an oilers fan i hate anyone that plays for dallas but i would take ott in a second to be on my team.

Wasn't that Sean Avery who said that? I think it was in the interview where he called out Matt Cooke.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
jeffbrown said:
I think the unwritten definition of a hockey pest is a relatively undersized guy who goes around running guys. Do you ever hear of a big guy, say 6'4 defined as a pest? Not really....he's just being aggressive. The guys that get hit (usually bigger guys, or star players) usually react by mumbling, "What the??? What's this little puke hitting me for? I can't fight him because I'm 6'3 and he's 5'9. Damn".
Ya, good call.

When a big guy hits you its usually "Oh geez, he is a big guy" But when I am playing hockey and a little guy hit men I go "What an annoying little puke, he will get his" etc etc. Its never fun when a little guy makes you look stupid.

denphis

i pretty sure ray ferraro said when talking about ott, i could be wrong it was probably a year or two ago. it just stuck in my head because it was so funny

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Grave77digger said:
Carcillo

Talent Analysis

Carcillo is a strong power forward who’s playing in his sophomore season in the OHL currently. He works hard and is extremely physical. Carcillo isn’t at all afraid to drop the mitts and duke it out. He’s a powerful skater who loves to crash the net and possesses a pretty good set of hands, allowing him to work close to the net. He forechecks and backchecks harder than most his age. Carcillo has a very powerful shot and uses it a lot. He needs to calm down a bit at times however, and is a bit undisciplined, causing him to take stupid penalties. Carcillo is an adept agitator prospect.

I really hope someone takes that punk's head off. He's nothing more then a cheap shot artist. He makes Marchment look like a nice guy.

He's such a crappy player. I really hope he never makes the bigs.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Stevex said:
Konopka lit it up in the ECHL didnt he? That's a tough league to talk trash in.

They have some NASTY players down there, so it definately is. I figured he'd never even really make it to the AHL but he's proving some people wrong I guess.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
kingsjohn said:
Sounds like he's gotten under your skin....

Not at all, just don't think of him as a pest. When you can put one guy on the ice to take care of him, that's not a pest to me. People disagree, so be it.

blackgoldblue

Feb 15, 2004
Stevex said:
Konopka lit it up in the ECHL didnt he? That's a tough league to talk trash in.

Yeah, he led the Nailers in goals and scoring while he was there. He definitely has some scoring ability, just not enough to make it to the NHL on that alone IMHO. I love him as a player though and could definitely see him making it as a 3rd/4th line agitator who can chip in some goals if a team gives him a chance.

The ECHL is a tough league. The skill isn't the greatest so alot of fans (especially those who aren't really big hockey fans) go to the games expecting to see a fight as part of the entertainment. Konopka definitely has heart. While the skill isn't the greatest there are definitely guys who could hold their own in a hockey fight against anyone.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Well the Oilers are hoping that Dan Baum can develop into that type of player for them in the future. His professional career has been hampered by injuries so far though, so it's tough to say how good of a future he has.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
Reveille said:
I really hope someone takes that punk's head off. He's nothing more then a cheap shot artist. He makes Marchment look like a nice guy.

He's such a crappy player. I really hope he never makes the bigs.

I think you just helped the argument for Carcilio. :)

theo6060

Feb 7, 2003
Visit site
One that hasn't been mentioned yet is Cal Clutterbuck for the Majors in the OHL. The guy loves stirring the pot. He's only 5'11" but has put on a lot of muscle, especially this season. He's an 06 eligible, could very well be a 1st rounder.

bonefizzle

Dec 5, 2004
avery is the biggest superpest and i'm pretty sure will continue to be the biggest superpest in the league for years to come.. already led nhl in pims last year.. (i think, he was 3/4 through the year anyways.) he started the kugel fight haha got to watch him play in kingston alot.. he is a beauty, i would like him to get traded to a team out east so more people in this part of the country would get to watch him

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Steve Downie is going to be a great pest. Downie got Mike Richards so riled up in a game earlier this season, that Richards actually entered the Windsor penalty box to go after Downie.... it earned Richards a suspension. The next game against Kitchener Downie was a marked man and drew several penalties, including a double minor against Valabik for headbutting him.

On top of driving people nuts, Downie's a tough little guy who throws big hits and won't back down from anybody. He's a very quick skater and has shown his skills with an increased role this season, good shot, good vision and decent stickhandler. I think he's already clicking at around a point per game (this year) in his draft year. He probably won't be picked in the high rounds because of his size, but I'm a big fan of his and see Sean Avery'esque upside in him.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
bonefizzle said:
avery is the biggest superpest and i'm pretty sure will continue to be the biggest superpest in the league for years to come.. already led nhl in pims last year.. (i think, he was 3/4 through the year anyways.) he started the kugel fight haha got to watch him play in kingston alot.. he is a beauty, i would like him to get traded to a team out east so more people in this part of the country would get to watch him

Are you kidding?! And deprive us of years of Ott-Avery action in the Pacific Division?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad