Next Possible Rangers Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If the thought is truly to build a more North/South team, then Sutter would do. But I doubt that he wants a part of a rebuild.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
When is the last time the Rangers hired a young up and coming guy with no NHL head coaching experience? Have they ever?

If they are truly turning over a new leaf and going with a youth movement on the personnel side, why not do the same for a coach?

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Not a fan of the dump and chase or stretch pass huh?
I just think relying on the stretch pass leads to bad defense and offense drying up in the playoffs.. dump and chase can get beat easier by the new prototype dmen. More dmen look like skjei than staal. Dump and chase works on staal type guys. The skjeis and ADAs of the world can skate out of the pressure or pass it out

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I just think relying on the stretch pass leads to bad defense and offense drying up in the playoffs.. dump and chase can get beat easier by the new prototype dmen. More dmen look like skjei than staal. Dump and chase works on staal type guys. The skjeis and ADAs of the world can skate out of the pressure or pass it out
I was being tongue and cheek ... I hate it as well haha.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Yes ...Keefe sounds like a great fit . I doubt Leafs would hold him back from an NHL gig...that would be nasty . Let's face it...he is pretty well blocked in TO . They have all their money Millions and Millions and upfront money sunk into Babs ...so Keefe will never be a Leaf head coach anytime soon . I doubt they would pay him to be an assistant to match what he would make as a head coach in the NHL elsewhere .

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Yes ...Keefe sounds like a great fit . I doubt Leafs would hold him back from an NHL gig...that would be nasty . Let's face it...he is pretty well blocked in TO . They have all their money Millions and Millions and upfront money sunk into Babs ...so Keefe will never be a Leaf head coach anytime soon . I doubt they would pay him to be an assistant to match what he would make as a head coach in the NHL elsewhere .
There's already chatter of him leaving after the year because there is no room for him to grow.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Would rather have Knoblauch. Keefe has benefited for Toronto’s infrastructure tremendously and has no NHL level coaching experience.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's not the usual to hold a minor league coach back from getting an NHL opportunity and Babcock will be coach in Toronto pretty much as long as he wants to be. I think he might be the highest paid coach in the league. If the Rangers ask the Leafs for permission to negotiate with Keefe I'm thinking that while the Leafs brass wouldn't be altogether happy to see Keefe leave they wouldn't stand in his way. And if it's not the Rangers it will be another NHL team.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Honestly I'd be OK with Messier being coach. This would obviously be a more appropriate time for him to get the job than last time given that we're rebuilding. Even he himself will go through growing pains but that will be OK, beneficial even. Nonetheless, regardless of record, one thing that is for certain is that the winning culture he'd create and the respect he'd command would be noteworthy-- which is very important. When rebuilding if you're not careful a team can develop a losing attitude, even when they get all the key pieces they need to regularly contend (Edmonton, Buffalo, etc.).

I think while the Rangers will be bad next year, Messier is such an innate leader that he will make it work in the most meaningful, productive way possible with these kids. Obviously though when you're coach you are willingly putting part of your legacy on the line. While nothing will ever take away what he did for us, Messier risks much more than any outsider walking in-- and he's been willing to take that risk.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad