Next Possible Rangers Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think HF Boards is worse at picking coaches than they are at evaluating the potential of fringe prospects and impact of journeymen thrown into trades, which holy balls is saying a lot.

To be fair this is not the message board of www. futurenhlcoaches, we are not privy to the Trottier essay

And I like fringe prospects and journeymen

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
That article was an indictment of AV and confirmed what I’ve thought: it was a bad mix of his laissez-faire approach and a less vocal leadership group. I put it more on the coach because we did have talent in that room, a lot of it.
What article?

dumpin

Jul 6, 2010
How about Steve Valiquette? He appears to be really up on analytics has his own firm Clear Sight Analytics. He was a career backup goalie, but when he talks about players and the game he appears to be right on with his analysis. I know in baseball some of the best managers were/are guys that were backup catchers in their playing career, maybe hockey is the similar.

He also is a very lucky guy. He turned down a contract in 2011 with Lokomotiv in KHL because he couldn't get guaranteed playing time and the team later perished in a plane crash.

Reactions: egelband

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
How about Steve Valiquette? He appears to be really up on analytics has his own firm Clear Sight Analytics. He was a career backup goalie, but when he talks about players and the game he appears to be right on with his analysis. I know in baseball some of the best managers were/are guys that were backup catchers in their playing career, maybe hockey is the similar.

He also is a very lucky guy. He turned down a contract in 2011 with Lokomotiv in KHL because he couldn't get guaranteed playing time and the team later perished in a plane crash.
Idk about coach, but I'd hire him to run the analytics department.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Hope it's true. It would only make sense seeing the new direction that the team is taking. Same system will just produce the same results with the new batch of players.
To be clear, this is information from a close friend who got this directly from people inside the Rangers organization. I can't really disclose why he was talking with them or why that topic came up but you can feel free to trust me on this.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Idk about coach, but I'd hire him to run the analytics department.

Yeah agreed. I think he’s really smart but I wouldn’t want him to jump to HC from nowhere. I’d love him to run analytics or maybe be an assistant or something.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Find the guy that attended a lot of Roger Neilson coaching seminars when he held them before his passing . Gerard Gallant would end his Summer vacations early on PEI and head back to these seminars....WHILE he was still a PLAYER ! Gallant always wanted to coach and he prepared himself for the job . That is a true story and it came from one of his best friends in Summerside PEI . It was in our local newspaper a few weeks ago .

FUZfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2018
I think AV is gone. You can see it in his body language, he knows it. I think it's unfortunate because he's an excellent coach, but he has run his course here and it's time for a new direction and philosophy behind the bench.

As far as Messier, if he had the ability to make good hockey personnel decisions, he would have retired 2 years before he actually did.:thumbd:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think AV is gone. You can see it in his body language, he knows it. I think it's unfortunate because he's an excellent coach, but he has run his course here and it's time for a new direction and philosophy behind the bench.
He is not an excellent coach. He has an excellent record only in times when the goalie is one of the top players in the league and is playing like it. AV cannot make less with more. He can only work with more. He needs very high end players, but that is not enough for him. He goes nowhere if the goaltending is not the best in the league.

Reactions: Inferno

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008

Not sure good analysts make good coaches. One thing to talk about things that have happened and another when tasked with strategically devising those things.

And wow on the Lokomotiv thing.

Is Granato in the realm of possibility? Ex-Ranger and now coaching college kids.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Hynes and Hakstol would be the example we should look at. Both are very good with bringing along young talent.
Which is why they should steal Knoblauch from Philly. They can’t fire Hakstol now. Devils can keep coach Voldemort.

AK 27

I shoot puck. Puck go in net. I score goal.
Apr 15, 2015
NYC
A few thoughts...

a) I'd say AV is gone. It's a rebuild and that certainly includes the coaching staff. If AV couldn't win the Cup with what he had a few years ago, and that's over, then so is he.

b) I think any of the older coaches around (Sutter, Quenneville, etc.) were brought up to be particularly hard on rookies. I don't think they're known for developing young talent and more often rely on their veterans. Who knows how many veterans we're going to have by the time October comes around?

c) Did anyone mention Dan Bylsma? I'm not advocating him - just surprised I didn't see his name. But I may have missed it.

d) I think Keefe will stay where he is. If you're Toronto you don't let a guy like that walk out of your organization. Although, obviously, it happens.

e) Ted Nolan? j/k

f) Tony Granato has been mentioned. I feel like any coach worth getting isn't going to be one of those guys who couldn't really seem to make it as a coach at the NHL level. Then again, I like his brief history with the Blue Shirts.

g) I would like to see some of the '94 guys get more involved in the coaching process (besides Beuk) but they really do need to get involved at a lower level first. That's just necessary.

h) It's NYC. I feel like NYC wants a coach with a name and not some college coach, as good as he may be. I could be wrong for sure. This is a rebuild but I think they want the man at the helm to be someone of notoriety and respect. Of course I have no idea who that's going to be nor are any of my guesses more right or wrong than the rest of you all. I'm sort of assuming the Rangers (and anyone else rebuilding) is probably trying to model themselves after Toronto, whether or not they have Matthews, Marner, Nylander, etc.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
@AK 27

Kris Knoblauch.
-Big market experience as top assistant in Philadelphia. Great with youth. Former coach of Erie. Only 38 years old. Was brought in to replace Hakstol, but Hakstol won’t be fired now, also it wouldn’t be the first time the Flyers blocked the Rangers from getting the coach that they wanted.

Would be my first choice.

AK 27

I shoot puck. Puck go in net. I score goal.
Apr 15, 2015
NYC
@AK 27

Kris Knoblauch.
-Big market experience as top assistant in Philadelphia. Great with youth. Former coach of Erie. Only 38 years old. Was brought in to replace Hakstol, but Hakstol won’t be fired now, also it wouldn’t be the first time the Flyers blocked the Rangers from getting the coach that they wanted.

Would be my first choice.

Well, at least Lundqvist would have someone his own age to talk to ;-)

I feel like there really isn't a lot of transference between NY and Philly but maybe times have changed. Also, when a team gets good, coaches tend to stick around to see what happens (see - Ulf Samuelson w/ NYR). Ulfie knew when it was time to go. Philly is just getting started with their success. My guess is that Knoblauch would stick around a little while longer in Philly. It's good for his career to do so.

Plus, I don't know if NYers are ready for another Knoblauch :)

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
He is not an excellent coach. He has an excellent record only in times when the goalie is one of the top players in the league and is playing like it. AV cannot make less with more. He can only work with more. He needs very high end players, but that is not enough for him. He goes nowhere if the goaltending is not the best in the league.

Was thinking about something along these lines at one point this season. AV has Lundqvist in NY, he had Luongo in Vancouver. Obviously top goalies.

In Montreal he had Thibault, Hackett, a bit of Theodore.

ponytrekker

Mar 28, 2013
I want a coach that will not fear installing a 2-1-2. Watching PIT-BOS and the announcers have mentioned that Boston's third man high has given PIT fits.

Reactions: Mac n Gs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->