Next Possible Rangers Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I don’t know enough about these systems and coaches. What are the main systems and who does’em?

I don’t think anyone knows.

Usually the coach’s playstyle is labeled as one of the 4-6 choices from the “call a play” dropdown menu in the EA Sports NHL series.

For Example, regardless of if it means anything , Arniel employed a Umbrella or if he his the d pad again, he switched it to an overload.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I don’t think anyone knows.

Usually the coach’s playstyle is labeled as one of the 4-6 choices from the “call a play” dropdown menu in the EA Sports NHL series.

For Example, regardless of if it means anything , Arniel employed a Umbrella or if he his the d pad again, he switched it to an overload.
Haha. That’s how it looks to me. If I were coach, on defense: you’re this zone, sort it out. On offense: score goaaaaaals!!

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Would anyone have a problemo with Messier as coach if AV was let go?

I know I wouldn't have an issue at all with that. I think it would be pretty cool matter of fact if Gorton let him be in charge.

I know typically former HOF players don't usually work out(ie...Gretzky) but Messier is from a different cloth. It can be argued he is the greatest leader of men in all of team sports not just hockey. To give him a kick at the can would be just fine with me. What ya think fellas?

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Would anyone have a problemo with Messier as coach if AV was let go?

I know I wouldn't have an issue at all with that. I think it would be pretty cool matter of fact if let him be in charge....what ya think fellas?
He's never coached a team prior to us, I want a coach with some experience.
That being said I would like him to be involved with the organization in some capacity, just not as the hc

Reactions: haveandare

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
He's never coached a team prior to us, I want a coach with some experience.
That being said I would like him to be involved with the organization in some capacity, just not as the hc

I hear ya 743 and your not wrong but something about Messier behind the bench greatly appeals to me. I think he would be an inspiration to the younger and older player alike and tho he may not be a master of the "x's and o's" so to speak, I'm pretty dang confident he would add a solid staff to support him in that regard and his presence alone would help his players to do whatever was necessary to not F up and keep their focus at all times.

I know it's a longshot but I wouldn't be adverse to giving the Messiah a shot behind the bench...what the heck...:)

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I think moving Miller had more to do with not wanting to commit to a 5+ million dollar contract than his relationship with AV. If he had been killing it on the ice, I bet the FO wouldn't have cared about how he got along with Alain.

If you heard the interviews Gorton gave earlier today on Boomer and then later on Kay, it seems pretty obvious that hes heavily leaning towards replacing him.
I have it from a good source, through contact with Rangers scouts/brass, that AV and associated coaches are going to be "cleaned house" this off-season. A lack of ability to properly develop players and fix mistakes/habits in existing players were some of the key dialogue. Take that for what it is worth.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I hear ya 743 and your not wrong but something about Messier behind the bench greatly appeals to me. I think he would be an inspiration to the younger and older player alike and tho he may not be a master of the "x's and o's" so to speak, I'm pretty dang confident he would add a solid staff to support him in that regard and his presence alone would help his players to do whatever was necessary to not F up and keep their focus at all times.

I know it's a longshot but I wouldn't be adverse to giving the Messiah a shot behind the bench...what the heck...:)
Mark Messier is not a young guy. If he wanted to be involved in the game after he retired, he should have put the work in like Beukeboom, or Samuelsson or any number of retired players have done. He didn't do it. This is not a "what the heck" scenario. You cant just throw crap at the wall like a monkey at the zoo. There has to be some real thought put into this. I don't want Messier anywhere near this team. The kids we are trying to develop were not even born in his glory days. His messages will not translate to them. Mess is right where he belongs. Wherever the hell that is he should stay there.

Reactions: Maliks PlusMinus

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I love Messier and everything he did as a player but his whole exit from the Rangers organization after being a special assistant was completely arrogant. He coached a bunch of kids and did that one tournament the Spengler Cup, and expected to use the 94 card to become coach. Then when he wasn't he threw a tantrum and left.

He's been out of the game so long now, he can't just pick right back up and coach with the modern systems and style.

The new coach will probably be a Boston NCAA guy, or someone who has gone through the minor league rankings.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
No to Messier. Let him first learn his chops in the ECHL. Has he made that effort yet? If not, he has no business coaching in the NHL. Playing and coaching are two totally different worlds.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
I have it from a good source, through contact with Rangers scouts/brass, that AV and associated coaches are going to be "cleaned house" this off-season. A lack of ability to properly develop players and fix mistakes/habits in existing players were some of the key dialogue. Take that for what it is worth.

Hope it's true. It would only make sense seeing the new direction that the team is taking. Same system will just produce the same results with the new batch of players.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
FWIW I think AV lost this team but IMO the quality of this team left a bit to be desired anyway. I'm not going to argue with the Stepan deal. I liked it and I think it eventually is going to pay off very well for us but Rangers management's thinking that Zibanejad could be a legit 1st line center was a major over estimation. He probably had input but that's not necessarily all on AV. When you look at Mika and Kevin our top two centers who have 60 points between them three quarters of the way through the season that should tell you that our production from the middle was not there and that's a crucial factor IMO as to why this team eventually imploded. FWIW I think Hayes has played well for us this year and he's one of only two or three guys that have played well the last month or two. But he's probably not going to hit 40 points by year's end and Mika might not do it either. Think about that---your top center not hitting 40 points. That's f***ing sad.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Whoever it is I hope it does not lead to totally abandoning the team trying to make plays in the neutral zone, both offensively and defensively.

Last edited:

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
So AV, who probably won't even be here next year, pretty much caused Miller to be shipped out of here??

****ing ridiculous.....
Which is exactly what my fear is.

So let me get this right. You think JG traded Miller to basically pacify AV even though there is a chance AV gets fired. Seriously, Miller got traded because of his attitude and fact they would not have wanted to pay him $5 million per in a new contract. Miller is to blame. No one knows what really went on behind the scenes but Management is not that stupid to trade someone they thought was worth it to keep.

Reactions: GordonGecko

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Brooks article literally says they felt Miller had "coachability" problems that weren't tied to AV.

Gorton didn't wan't Miller either, it's pretty clear hearing him talk about it. The guy was in a contract year and dogged it big time, that doesn't exactly inspire confidence to the tune of 20+ million dollars. And it sounds like there were many problems with him outside of that too.

Namestnikov, for what it's worth, supposedly had a real great relationship with Cooper and the rest of his teammates. Seems like a polar opposite personality. I don't love it in that this team has way too many nice guys who play nice but hopefully we can add some guys in the coming yer or two who are quality human beings but play like assholes. We could really use some of that.

Reactions: Rangers743

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Fun fact, JT Miller once almost ran me and my friends over leaving MSG after a game he was a scratch for, practically burned out making the turn. Speaks to the kind of person he is. Good riddance.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

I feel, Gorton and I've been on the same 'wave-length'.. I can't see him keeping AV or anyone on the coaching staff besides Allaire. How can you honestly evaluate your talent/roster and realize it's not good enough... but analyze this 'system' and say everything is working. AV hasn't adapted at all. Simple question Gorton can ask himself, does AV put his players in position to succeed?

I've seen some people say, 'AV is staying, because Miller was moved.' The problem with Miller, besides his bozo plays and effort, is he could set TERRIBLE examples for younger players. If he was having issues with AV, no matter if he's in the right, your actions could be a detriment in the locker-room/player development. Who's to say it wont happen again with the new coach? plus he's due to make 4-5M$ ( With that said, I think he could be a massive player in TB and produce at a high rate playing in the top6. )

Last edited:
Reactions: haveandare

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
FIRE RENNEY! Happened because he was the cause of everything, and FIRE(ing) RENNEY! fixed everything as the team really was Tort’s Kinda Guys at that point until we needed AV’s System that caused all the issues and then traded everyone just because of AV who will be fired in a few weeks so we can hire Renney for the young prospects , and then FIRE RENNEY ! again in case Mark Messier holds the team accountable for Gorton making all the right decisions while Sather is in charge before we get a no name coach from Division 3 to fix everything prior to the Arrival of Coach Suter who will make us the Kings who won the cup a few years ago without even the the slightest comparison in team comp and playstyle, and then Muckler with Trottier his final shot, and we will win the cup.
Tom Renney was an excellent coach who was perfect for us at the time. He took a team coming out of the lockout that was expected to finish at the bottom and gave it structure, a system, and defensive accountability. He built the base that Torts built upon. Plus, his personality was perfect for young players. A coach like him would be perfect. Maybe we should be looking at coaches with a background with developmental teams: USDL, etc

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I really don't know enough to say, but I trust Gorton and co to pick the right person. As long as AV is gone and the new guy isn't an entitled ex player with no experience, I'm happy.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
I'll be shocked if AV isn't fired within a few days of the season's end. Shocked, I tell ya!

Reactions: jas

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Tom Renney was an excellent coach who was perfect for us at the time. He took a team coming out of the lockout that was expected to finish at the bottom and gave it structure, a system, and defensive accountability. He built the base that Torts built upon. Plus, his personality was perfect for young players. A coach like him would be perfect. Maybe we should be looking at coaches with a background with developmental teams: USDL, etc

I liked Renney. He seemed like a nice guy, but I think he’s a bit over rated and most definitely mislabeled as the coach who “turned it around” for RangersTown™️

The lockout, the salary cap, Jagr’s Insane season, and the emergence of not Kevin Weekes was what ended the Dark Ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad