Next Possible Rangers Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I'm not saying I wouldn't hire Keefe, but let me point this out real quick because it's been on my mind

-Young
-Fresh ideas
-Supposedly into analytics
-Allegedly spotty personality
-Most hyped coaching prospect in hockey
-Currently coaching the Marlies

He's Dallas Eakins in 2013. Everything about him is Dallas Eakins in 2013. That doesn't mean it'll turn out like Dallas Eakins, but he's Dallas Eakins in 2013.
hqdefault.jpg

Reactions: Phoicon

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Dallas Eakins looked too pretty boy to be a good hockey coach, how could he command any respect? I think Keefe has that base covered

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Gorton specifically said he doesn't want to really consider anyone who hasn't been a head coach before. Stevens never has. A little concerning that Brooks wrote that since he sometimes primes the fans for organizational decisions that have already been made, but I'm not sure I see Stevens happening.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Where is he quoted saying this?
He said it during his interview on the radio a week or so ago. I think it was WFAN. They asked if he'd consider a totally off the board pick citing some NBA hires or something and he said he doesn't think he'll seriously consider anyone who hasn't been a head coach before, either in the NHL, AHL, foreign pro league or NCAA. They asked again later if he'd consider Messier and he said no again because he doesn't expect to really consider anyone who hasn't been a head coach.

Reactions: nevesis

Blueshirt Special

Shady Brey
Feb 28, 2007
NJ
www.linespeedconsulting.com
"I think someone is going to have to convince us. We do have a number of names that we want to talk to and start to do but I think someone is going to have to convince me and our group that they should be the next coach of the Rangers."

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Interesting post by @Elliman, I'll weigh in on my lifetime

Keenan - Too young to judge him on the job, feel like we won despite him in retrospect.

Campbell - For a rookie coach who wasn't a head coach before or after us, I thought he did really well, and was singled out for a diminishing roster in 1998.

Muckler - Downgrade on Campbell in my estimation, but again, diminishing roster. Hard to judge.

Low - Honestly liked him. He got a ton of production out of the offense during the Dead Puck Era, and built and kept together some legendary lines. Literally nobody was winning with the defense and goaltending we had at the time.

Trottier - Wasn't around long enough to judge him. He was unfairly hailed as a savoir and in turn, unfairly singled out, with a roster that was going nowhere.

Sather - Filler after he fired Trottier. Not much to say.

Renney - Loved the guy. Disliked because he wouldn't yell and scream. Got a ton out of subpar rosters. The 07/08 Rangers win a Cup if they had any finishing ability outside of Jagr.

Torts - I singled Torts out for not winning the Cup but under AV, I began to appreciate Torts more. Flawed coach - too hard on rookies, too stifling on offense. But a good coach. We had a great defensive structure and guys were accountable. Loved that he took no **** from the media bashing his players. Torts would have given birth if Brooksie tried pulling the Dan Boyle thing with him around.

AV - unmitigated disaster. Had the best roster of any coach on this list sans Keenan and his teams got progressively worse every year. He drove the Rangers from SCF in 2014, to buyers in Summer 2017, to rebuilding in Summer 2018. Like Gorton or not, AV fought him every inch of the way and benched/scratched/misused the majority of acquisitions. He did so deliberately, putting his ego ahead of the team. We did everything for him, repeatedly acquiring players who "fit his system," and yet he was never happy, mostly because he doesn't have a system. A reptilian little sneak, he was quiet like Renney and yet arrogant like Torts. Without peer, the worst defensive system I've seen at this level. If AV had the goaltending Low and Trottier had, we would have won like 10 games this past season. Got significantly less out of McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Skjei, and Smith than Renney and Torts got out of Rozsival, Staal, Girardi and Malik.

Years ago, I remember on this very board I mentioned this exact concern. I thought and still think there is/was something off with a guy behind the bench that simply looks like he doesn't care getting beat on the ice.

I was told that he, and I'm paraphrasing here, surely yells a lot when he's in the locker room.

Take it for what it's worth but Renney just pissed me off for that very reason and yes, I know it's irrational.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Stevens did coach though. Remember when him and Oates did that Co-Coach thing a few years ago?

In any event, remember that Larry did spend time working for the Devils organization in the mid-late 80s (if you watch the Koharski/Schonfeld altercation on YouTube, Larry is one of the guys holding Schoney back and he's mentioned it in his columns a few times) so he has ties with a lot of though Lamriello guys and sees their success/leadership as positives sometimes over the practicality of the situation.

Carpinello also said the Rangers aren't crazy about Keefe/Tippett. He's still a very reliable source having covered the team since 1978.

rangerlp

May 24, 2012
If we're not considering Phil Esposito or Jean-Guy Talbot as replacements, I think we're going to be fine.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Dallas Eakins and also David Quinn (and I'll add Hakstol from the Flyers to this list) all look like they can be regenerated versions of The Doctor from Doctor Who.

I'm not sure Hakstol is really human, he might be a fairly clever automaton, given away by the poor range of emotion and inability to speak a sentence that doesn't sound pre-recorded

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Gorton specifically said he doesn't want to really consider anyone who hasn't been a head coach before. Stevens never has. A little concerning that Brooks wrote that since he sometimes primes the fans for organizational decisions that have already been made, but I'm not sure I see Stevens happening.
When reading Brooks you have to separate NYR leaks from Larry's agendas. Usually any info pertaining to people living in the area who may be a good candidate is from those people. The Avery stuff, Kovalchuk, etc, that's him helping out friends.

Surprised Brooks hasn’t mentioned Lemaire or Larry Robinson to coach the Rangers. There’s still plenty of time.
Which is how we know this is a Larry agenda and not NYR. He loves Robinson and wrote years ago trying to push him as our next coach. Well, neither one of these guys are happening, so you target the heir apparent.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I just want the playoffs to be over with so we can start getting some leaks or news in general T_T

Phoicon

Take these broken wings and learn to fly again.
Jan 26, 2018
Copenhagen
I just want the playoffs to be over with so we can start getting some leaks or news in general T_T

Generally, I agree. But this year's playoffs are so much fun. The Sharks-Ducks series and Vegas versus Kopitar one are very enjoyable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->