Next Possible Rangers Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
ALF would have bias anytime the Panthers or Wild came to play, can't have him behind the bench.

Stevens was co-coach with Adam Oates when the Devils did that doofy thing a few years ago. Would he be interested in the Rangers even? Is this just Larry speculating or did Stevens and his camp come to Larry with the idea?

As far as educators, I'm going with Mr. Kotter over Belvedere, Charles, or Drexler. Kotter kept a very rowdy lockeroom together ;)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
With Scott Stevens we'd have a lot better defense in a fairly short period of time IMO---but seriously I don't think too many of the other options on our prospective list are going to try to replicate AV's man on man thing so......would it bug me if Stevens were named coach? not really but there are others who might be better.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And my personal distaste for that lunatic aside, the Wild and Devils have been awful defensive teams under Stevens. Constantly in their own zone and can't move the pick (just like Scott Stevens couldn't move the puck).

Didn't like him as a defenseman and don't like him as a defensive coach.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
And my personal distaste for that lunatic aside, the Wild and Devils have been awful defensive teams under Stevens. Constantly in their own zone and can't move the pick (just like Scott Stevens couldn't move the puck).

Didn't like him as a defenseman and don't like him as a defensive coach.
But but goals against

Reactions: Machinehead

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
ALF would have bias anytime the Panthers or Wild came to play, can't have him behind the bench.

Stevens was co-coach with Adam Oates when the Devils did that doofy thing a few years ago. Would he be interested in the Rangers even? Is this just Larry speculating or did Stevens and his camp come to Larry with the idea?

As far as educators, I'm going with Mr. Kotter over Belvedere, Charles, or Drexler. Kotter kept a very rowdy lockeroom together ;)
don't forget nashville

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I'm not saying I wouldn't hire Keefe, but let me point this out real quick because it's been on my mind

-Young
-Fresh ideas
-Supposedly into analytics
-Allegedly spotty personality
-Most hyped coaching prospect in hockey
-Currently coaching the Marlies

He's Dallas Eakins in 2013. Everything about him is Dallas Eakins in 2013. That doesn't mean it'll turn out like Dallas Eakins, but he's Dallas Eakins in 2013.

Reactions: haveandare

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'm not saying I wouldn't hire Keefe, but let me point this out real quick because it's been on my mind

-Young
-Fresh ideas

He's Dallas Eakins in 2013. Everything about him is Dallas Eakins in 2013. That doesn't mean it'll turn out like Dallas Eakins, but he's Dallas Eakins in 2013.
It's true. The comparison is hard to shake. But I also look at that roster Eakins had and...well...

That's why part of me wants to skip Keefe and go for DJ Smith.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

-Young
-Fresh ideas

not gonna lie i've thought the same thing...probably not fair but still thought it

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
It's true. The comparison is hard to shake. But I also look at that roster Eakins had and...well...

That's why part of me wants to skip Keefe and go for DJ Smith.

You want to take a guy who gets more out of little. The Marlies are a premier AHL club, lots of one-way deals, and the Leafs have taken their time with their kids. I'm not against Keefe at all... but if he's a Corsi coach, then I'd steer clear on him... you can see the monkey see monkey do group think and repeat taking place again if Keefe's that guy.

You had Eakins, Noel, Rowe, as those analytics coaches. Some say Peters is one too, but I think he's more pediegreed coming from the school of Babcock. But out of those 4 names... does their combined winning percentages break .430? What about playoff appearances? Or series wins. How many of those are out there? Zero?

1 maybe... did they crack a playoff series win? What about a single playoff game victory? No?

A game played in the playoffs?

No? None?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Coaches should look at what data's available. That said I think Mikos87 makes a good point---just data checking is not the be all--end all. The most important thing is to win--not to look good losing. I'm a bit more interested in the systems the new coaching staff brings in and how they make them adaptable to the personnel that we have. Scrap the man on man D shit and get a harder forecheck going. This year's version of the Rangers was all about moving the puck of the ice quickly but we never really had a great forecheck. Opponents busted out of their d-zones way too easily all year.

Keefe does have an extraordinarily good pedigree though--with Sault Ste. Marie in the OHL and the Marlies in the AHL.

OHL coaching record two years---98W--29L--9T
AHL coaching record three years---147W--63L--15T

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Something similar to how Vegas plays is what I consider a perfect template for this group of players. They pressure the puck in the defensive zone without losing structure, play a fast north-south game, and don't quit on the forecheck/backcheck. I think it would help build a nice character identity if they mix it up with speed, skill, and grit.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
You had Eakins, Noel, Rowe, as those analytics coaches. Some say Peters is one too, but I think he's more pediegreed coming from the school of Babcock. But out of those 4 names... does their combined winning percentages break .430? What about playoff appearances? Or series wins. How many of those are out there? Zero?

1 maybe... did they crack a playoff series win? What about a single playoff game victory? No?

No? None?

I think this point lacks context.

How did these teams fare after firing these coaches? The Oilers made the playoffs once, only after drafting a yearly Hart contender. The Jets just made the playoffs for the first time since firing Noel. Rowe was only there for 60ish games, and they pretty much played a similar level of hockey after ditching him (then they traded two first liners for a 4th round pick after getting rid of the “computer boys” but that’s another story).

It’s not like these guys were given great situations to work with. I think it’s completely unfair to write off “analytics” coaches because these three didn’t work out. It’s not like Edmonton, Florida, or Winnipeg have a history of success, and these coaches tarnished it. They were in line with pretty much everything else these franchises did.

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You want to take a guy who gets more out of little. The Marlies are a premier AHL club, lots of one-way deals, and the Leafs have taken their time with their kids. I'm not against Keefe at all... but if he's a Corsi coach, then I'd steer clear on him... you can see the monkey see monkey do group think and repeat taking place again if Keefe's that guy.

No? None?
I've heard Gerard Gallant is pretty good.

Tom Rowe is the GM who fired him.

Gallant and 2 of the Panther's 3 best forwards are now up 2-0 on the Kings.

I agree with avoiding Goodwin's Law analytics coaching, but that's a terrible example.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
i want to hate larry's idea of scott stevens...but aside him being a former devil i'm not coming up with much negative to having his name on the list of candidates

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Let’s begin at the start. I’ve been watching Ranger hockey since 1990.

Roger Neilson - what I remember most about Roger was he was always changing his tie from game to game and it annoyed the shit out of me. I was to young to really judge his ability to coach.

Ron Smith - We only had him for a short while but man did I begin to miss Rogers ties pretty fast. I hated his guy and I started playing hockey in school so I started to understand the game much more and follow the game nightly.

Mike Keenan - what can I say. I hated his guts during the season. Thought he was to rash. But guess what after that game 7 I’ve loved him ever since. Broke my heart when he left for St Louis. When I read a book about the 94 I started to dislike him again and how Messier basically coaches the team down the stretch.

Colin Campbell - To be fair to Colin he had massive shoes to fill, ones which had a Stanley cup in them. For 4 years I blamed this man for not getting back to the promise land.

John Muckler - I thought he was to old for the role. Outdated. Strongly disliked him.

Ron Low - The very sight of him made me vomit in my mouth.

Bryan Trottier - Rollercoaster. Didn’t have enough time to hate him. Thought he was treated unfairly.

Glen Sather - I was very curious how GM/Coach duties would affect the team. After a while I was happy he stepped down as coach.

Tom Renney - I didn’t like him. Not the way he looked nor anything about him.

Torts - His own worst enemy. Very likable guy. Reminded me of Roy Keane in the soccer world. Thought he did well but to defensive and was growing sick of all the blocked shots. Still like him.

Alain - Was unsure season 1 but he grew on me. Came in with much fan fare. During season 2 I felt better about him after the Canucks fires Torts. I felt that vindicated Alain was a better coach. Season 3-5 I hated his guts. Go figure.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Interesting post by @Elliman, I'll weigh in on my lifetime

Keenan - Too young to judge him on the job, feel like we won despite him in retrospect.

Campbell - For a rookie coach who wasn't a head coach before or after us, I thought he did really well, and was singled out for a diminishing roster in 1998.

Muckler - Downgrade on Campbell in my estimation, but again, diminishing roster. Hard to judge.

Low - Honestly liked him. He got a ton of production out of the offense during the Dead Puck Era, and built and kept together some legendary lines. Literally nobody was winning with the defense and goaltending we had at the time.

Trottier - Wasn't around long enough to judge him. He was unfairly hailed as a savoir and in turn, unfairly singled out, with a roster that was going nowhere.

Sather - Filler after he fired Trottier. Not much to say.

Renney - Loved the guy. Disliked because he wouldn't yell and scream. Got a ton out of subpar rosters. The 07/08 Rangers win a Cup if they had any finishing ability outside of Jagr.

Torts - I singled Torts out for not winning the Cup but under AV, I began to appreciate Torts more. Flawed coach - too hard on rookies, too stifling on offense. But a good coach. We had a great defensive structure and guys were accountable. Loved that he took no shit from the media bashing his players. Torts would have given birth if Brooksie tried pulling the Dan Boyle thing with him around.

AV - unmitigated disaster. Had the best roster of any coach on this list sans Keenan and his teams got progressively worse every year. He drove the Rangers from SCF in 2014, to buyers in Summer 2017, to rebuilding in Summer 2018. Like Gorton or not, AV fought him every inch of the way and benched/scratched/misused the majority of acquisitions. He did so deliberately, putting his ego ahead of the team. We did everything for him, repeatedly acquiring players who "fit his system," and yet he was never happy, mostly because he doesn't have a system. A reptilian little sneak, he was quiet like Renney and yet arrogant like Torts. Without peer, the worst defensive system I've seen at this level. If AV had the goaltending Low and Trottier had, we would have won like 10 games this past season. Got significantly less out of McDonagh, Shattenkirk, Skjei, and Smith than Renney and Torts got out of Rozsival, Staal, Girardi and Malik.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Even though I liked Renney and Torts, I do think they were let go at the right time.

AV was fired years too late. He should have been sacked after the Eric Staal debacle, with Staal getting re-signed.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Who's Horshack on this squad? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad