Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Hmm...

• His misuse of personnel constantly
  • No consistency with his line combinations; has no feel for who should play with who
  • Can never ever make in-game adjustments; when his system is being stifled as it so often has been he does not know how change gears and come at the opposition with something different
  • Game preparation lacking severely; whether it is not getting his players ready to play or there being a lack of respect for him, the never ending opening minute(s) opposition goals is evidence of this
  • It had been said of him that he was not good at developing young players in Vancouver, and this has been exemplified here. He mismanages them. He is a coach that is dependent on having a veterans in the lockerroom with a great goaltender to bail him out of having to do the talking
  • BUT MOST OF ALL, IT IS HIS TRASH TRASH TRASH DEFENSIVE SYSTEM. Whatever you want to call it at this point, because it certainly is not man-to-man, is a ****ing circus act. Not one player seems to understand. Opposing players constantly are open, and not just open, but find themselves open in the high percentage scoring areas. He has his wingers collapse down low for some god forsaken reason, vacating the opposing defensemen, allowing for pucks to go around the boards to them with time and space to fire away and make plays, thus pinning us in our own zone.

He is a JOKE. JOKE. I pray no other fan base has to suffer from watching his "coaching" and "system." He needs the perfect storm for his "system" to be successful. He needs multiple defensemen to have speed with fantastic puck moving ability to get out of the jams his "defensive system" creates in their own end, to be able to spring the play to offense and swing the momentum. But you are not always going to have the perfect group to achieve this. And a good coach would be able to make adjustments, have a plan B to adjust to the group he has to work with. He never has. He has had players that have been able to cover up his deficiencies during the years we were making our runs.

Time to go.

I’ve seen less pandering to an audience in presidential debates.

AV is going to be canned because he was brought into push a contender, and he wasn’t expected to be a developer.

Face it. The team nose dived and there was a huge house cleaning with much more to follow.

I didn’t agree with the mind reading or minutia about AV and the team before the levee broke, and now it’s almost comical given how gutted the team is.

Every year this is some player / coach / etc who is the cause of everything, and there is some player / coach / etc who will fix all those things, and usually the personel who are the cause of everything and fix of everything tend to be perphirel personel unrelated to the core issues of the team at the given moment.

And it doesn’t matter how many times that scenario falls on its face , next year there is a new one.

He’s gone because the team is done, and the 2005-2014 system is being scrapped.

He didn’t sink the team, and he won’t be let go for that.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We dont have a top twenty five player at any position or any mind blowing prospect.
What exactly do you seek to accomplish with any coach?

Sounds exactly like Knick fans under Dantoni

Lundqvist?

Also it's very, very flimsy to argue that Kreider isn't a top 25 LW, Zib a top 25 C, Zucc a top 25 RW, and McDonagh a top 25 D.

Reactions: haveandare and jas

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I’ve seen less pandering to an audience in presidential debates.

AV is going to be canned because he was brought into push a contender, and he wasn’t expected to be a developer.

Face it. The team nose dived and there was a huge house cleaning with much more to follow.

I didn’t agree with the mind reading or minutia about AV and the team before the levee broke, and now it’s almost comical given how gutted the team is.

Every year this is some player / coach / etc who is the cause of everything, and there is some player / coach / etc who will fix all those things, and usually the personel who are the cause of everything and fix of everything tend to be perphirel personel unrelated to the core issues of the team at the given moment.

And it doesn’t matter how many times that scenario falls on its face , next year there is a new one.

He’s gone because the team is done, and the 2005-2014 system is being scrapped.

He didn’t sink the team, and he won’t be let go for that.
Agree to disagree.

If you dont want to discuss the flaws in his coaching and system that have been existent since he started here in 2013-2014 then so be it. There is blame here. The issues have been there. Ignoring them and making the case that they sold off the roster and the era has come to an end is simply put the easy way out.

Also his system was significantly different than Tortorella’s. So let’s just clarify it has not been the same from 2005-2014.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Sounds exactly like Knick fans under Dantoni
Dantoni did not "loose" his best defensive players on the bench in the final minute of a playoff game. Dantoni also has nothing to do with the fact that AV is utterly incapable of recognizing what is actually happening in the game as opposed to what he expects to happen in the game.

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Dantoni did not "loose" his best defensive players on the bench in the final minute of a playoff game. Dantoni also has nothing to do with the fact that AV is utterly incapable of recognizing what is actually happening in the game as opposed to what he expects to happen in the game.

Go tell that to the MSG/NYK/NYR analytics department

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Love this pathetic easy way out excuse.

So, basically, what youre saying is there is no possible way to evaluate a coach unless he has an elite player? Really? This unbelievably laughable. A whole group of 20 players, that has changed albeit over the last 3-4 years, has continued to exemplify the same flaws year in and year out. Youre right, AV is not to blame at all. Blame the personnel, heck blame his Defense Coach changing too. Dont blame him.

I think everyone can probably agree that AV has his flaws and is probably not the right coach for our rebuild without going off into the realm of the ridiculous by calling him a joke and laying every criticism that you did at his feet.

Somehow the guy has managed to compile a tremendous regular season record, has been to two Stanley cup finals, even more conference finals, and a ton of playoff wins.

He’s not a joke. He just hasn’t been quite good enough. He was a tremendously smart bet, though, when we hired him. His time is just over, is all.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I think everyone can probably agree that AV has his flaws and is probably not the right coach for our rebuild without going off into the realm of the ridiculous by calling him a joke and laying every criticism that you did at his feet.

Somehow the guy has managed to compile a tremendous regular season record, has been to two Stanley cup finals, even more conference finals, and a ton of playoff wins.

He’s not a joke. He just hasn’t been quite good enough. He was a tremendously smart bet, though, when we hired him. His time is just over, is all.

This is really an excellent post. It's nice to see someone not automatically repeating the same nonsense that almost everyone else is.

IMO AV lost the team over the course of this season and should be replaced....but saying he doesn't know what the f*** he's doing or how to f***ing coach a hockey team is refuted by a pretty successful (albeit Stanley Cup-less) coaching resumé. There's history there and FWIW he did coach the team to the Stanley Cup finals something you can't say about very many of the coaches we've had down through the years. In my lifetime Emile Francis only did it once and he must have had 15 years of trying? and he's in the Hall of Fame. Fred Shero--also in the HOF. Mike Keenan who was a complete jerk and Vigneault. There you go. Four f***ing times to the finals and we even won once.

Any case we should fine a younger coach like the AHL Marlies guy and go with that. Lindy Ruff--no way. No to Lindsay Ruff too---whoever the f*** that is.

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
This is really an excellent post. It's nice to see someone not automatically repeating the same nonsense that almost everyone else is.

IMO AV lost the team over the course of this season and should be replaced....but saying he doesn't know what the **** he's doing or how to ****ing coach a hockey team is refuted by a pretty successful (albeit Stanley Cup-less) coaching resumé. There's history there and FWIW he did coach the team to the Stanley Cup finals something you can't say about very many of the coaches we've had down through the years. In my lifetime Emile Francis only did it once and he must have had 15 years of trying? and he's in the Hall of Fame. Fred Shero--also in the HOF. Mike Keenan who was a complete jerk and Vigneault. There you go. Four ****ing times to the finals and we even won once.

Any case we should fine a younger coach like the AHL Marlies guy and go with that. Lindy Ruff--no way. No to Lindsay Ruff too---whoever the **** that is.
You can say a lot of things critical about AV's system and style (and BTW, I've got a long list) but I don't think it's fair to say he lost the team. Looks to me that he has this patched together group playing pretty well. It wasn't his idea to throw up the white flag two weeks before the trade deadline. There's much he deserves to be criticized for, but "losing the team" is not a fair point. Coaches voices get old in the locker room. He's had a good run. Time for a new voice.

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
You can say a lot of things critical about AV's system and style (and BTW, I've got a long list) but I don't think it's fair to say he lost the team. Looks to me that he has this patched together group playing pretty well. It wasn't his idea to throw up the white flag two weeks before the trade deadline. There's much he deserves to be criticized for, but "losing the team" is not a fair point. Coaches voices get old in the locker room. He's had a good run. Time for a new voice.

FWIW AV wasn't getting the effort out of his pre-trade deadline group that he's getting out of his team now. Numerous occasions not showing up for puck drop and down early in games. Over and over the same sorts of mistakes to the point sometimes of ridiculousness. I don't like AV's defensive schemes--I never have....but he's had success with it before but not this year. Was it simply the personnel? That being said I've never said he was a bad coach nor have I griped all that much because this fan favorite wasn't getting enough minutes and that fan target was getting too many. As well I would say I like AV's personality/demeanor. It was a relief anyway from Tort's playing his anger issues out in public. Still he's the coach and he's responsible for having his team ready to go---every game. Over and over again this year that was not the case. My other issue is their not defending each other which IMO speaks to team cohesiveness which added to their not being ready for games gave me the impression of a team that was not only soft but too f***ing comfortable with themselves. It was almost funny the shock that some of the leadership of the team expressed after the letter came out and after they were asked to submit their trade lists. Like taking for granted that this party was going to go on forever.

So is AV a good coach? IMO he's a very good coach. Did he get the best out of this team? No--not even close. I parse that as losing the team but you might also say that some of the players might have lost themselves. It's up to you how you want to describe it.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Joke? No. Again, as I recall half the board was singing his praises after the first year or two. Yes, he has had success. However, in my view, his success in Vancouver & NY is directly attributable to having two of the top goalies over the last 25 years. Without, not just top goaltending, Hall of fame elite level, his "system" yields a lot of warts. The run to the Finals could have been directly attributed to such play. Will he fine employment (providing that he is in fact fired)? Of course he will. But I do not view him as a top, excellent coach. The goaltenders that he has been blessed with, masked a lot of flaws.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
Joke? No. Again, as I recall half the board was singing his praises after the first year or two. Yes, he has had success. However, in my view, his success in Vancouver & NY is directly attributable to having two of the top goalies over the last 25 years. Without, not just top goaltending, Hall of fame elite level, his "system" yields a lot of warts. The run to the Finals could have been directly attributed to such play. Will he fine employment (providing that he is in fact fired)? Of course he will. But I do not view him as a top, excellent coach. The goaltenders that he has been blessed with, masked a lot of flaws.

FWIW , I’m not sure that the Rangers would have made it past Montreal that year had Kreider not slid into Price knocking him out for the series.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

He is a joke.

Always a bridesmaid, never a bride. Been sayung it for years because his coaching ability and systematic flaws have been evident even through his “tremendous regular season record.” Shit lets just celebrate that. His poor coaching and defensive system have been the achilles heel to what has prevented him from being a championship coach.

Ignorance is bliss.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
FWIW , I’m not sure that the Rangers would have made it past Montreal that year had Kreider not slid into Price knocking him out for the series.

Price is a pretty mediocre playoff goalie.

He and the Habs were crazy lucky to get by Boston (who hit something like 16 posts in that series.) I think the Rangers probably wrap up the Habs series sooner if Price doesn't get hurt.

Though had Boston not run into some really crappy shooting luck, I don't think we get by them in the ECF that year.

Reactions: leetch99

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Price is a pretty mediocre playoff goalie.

Here, that's more like it.

But yeah, we destroyed the Habs in that series. Tokarski doing backflips prevented it from being a sweep.

The 2014 team deserves a lot of credit. I think the hybrid of AV's offense and Torts' system was exactly what this team needed, and it's progressively fallen away the more AV has sunk his teeth in.

Find you a man who can do both.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Here, that's more like it.

But yeah, we destroyed the Habs in that series. Tokarski doing backflips prevented it from being a sweep.

The 2014 team deserves a lot of credit. I think the hybrid of AV's offense and Torts' system was exactly what this team needed, and it's progressively fallen away the more AV has sunk his teeth in.

Find you a man who can do both.

.919 career SV% and he's mediocre? He's overrated, not mediocre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->