Next in Line for Canada incase of Injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Knucklez said:
I'd take Hannan over McCabe. We already have plenty of scoring on the blueline with Jovo, Niedermayer, and Pronger. We could use a tough, stay-at-home dman like Hannan.

basically, hannan will be right behind regehr on the list of guys who probably wont play because they dont have the offensive upside of the others. i think mccabe would have a better chance of cracking the lineup, if for no other reason than his great shot on the power play.

mccabe made some big mistakes in the playoffs, but i honestly believe it was because he was over-played and worn out mentally and physically. i think he would bring a great spark to the team playing on the 3rd pairing of defensemen where he can go all out all the time. over the last 3 years he's averaged more than double hannans points and plus/minus

the way i see it, arguing that scott hannan is better than mccabe is like saying that steve sullivan is a better all-around player than joe thornton because of their respective playoff performances. both are great players, but one is a level above the other

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
canucks-for-life said:
Actually you obviously dont now anyting and our basing your entire opinion on playoffs IN THE REGULAR SEASON PRIMEAU WAS INJURED AND IN 50 SOME ODD GAMES HE ONLY HAD SEVEN GOALS, if he didnt have such a good playoffs no one would be near considereing him, and if you say we could use him for leadership not points we already have guys like LEMIEUX
Actually, maybe you should have watched the guy play. He was well on his way to winning the Selke trophy before his injury and you could see how valuable he was to the team based on the sub .500 record the flyers had without him in the lineup. He had a great regular season even without putting up points and an incredible playoff. And I don't think that playoff was a fluke, he finally put it all together and he can be that player.

habsfan9

Feb 23, 2004
laval, qc
Leafaholix said:
Players won't pull out for "any reason". This isn't the USA's Olympic basketball team.

Hmm, my take...

Forwards: Keith Primeau, Mark Recchi, Cory Stillman
Defense: Bryan McCabe, Scott Hannan, Jay Bouwmeester
Goalie: Jose Theodore, Marty Turco, Marc Denis

FYI, JM Liles is American.
ALEX TANGUAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
:bow:

No offense, but a awful lot of you guys are in love with stat sheets and points. I would've thought that the selections of Draper and Maltby would have shown that Team Canada is naming players based on styles and situations rather than sheer points.

You don't need 6 offensive defensemen on this team. Hannan is being chosen because of the job he did on Forsberg in the playoffs. Period. He'll be given the same task in addition to Jagr for the Czechs, and Tkachuk for the US and any other big, power forward the opposition can throw at Canada. Yes, McCabe has more offense and probably hits more too. But his positional play is not as strong and he has always struggled against power forwards who go right at him. Hannan was picked because his skill set fits what Quinn wants to do with the defense better than McCabe's does.

As for the rest. Any other forwards go down Primeau should be the first man called. If not him than probably Glen Murray. Kariya is too injury-prone and inconsistent. If he can go out and disprove that he's welcome to return to the next team (he's still pretty young), but otherwise he's a risk.

On defense McCabe and Aucoin should be the next two considered. I like Rathje and that wouldn't bother me either. Can't see Brad Stuart though. Good player, but not over those other three.

In net I think it'd be Theodore if anyone went down. It's largely ceremonial anyway, but he's clearly next in line.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Malefic74 said:
No offense, but a awful lot of you guys are in love with stat sheets and points. I would've thought that the selections of Draper and Maltby would have shown that Team Canada is naming players based on styles and situations rather than sheer points.

You don't need 6 offensive defensemen on this team. Hannan is being chosen because of the job he did on Forsberg in the playoffs. Period. He'll be given the same task in addition to Jagr for the Czechs, and Tkachuk for the US and any other big, power forward the opposition can throw at Canada. Yes, McCabe has more offense and probably hits more too. But his positional play is not as strong and he has always struggled against power forwards who go right at him. Hannan was picked because his skill set fits what Quinn wants to do with the defense better than McCabe's does.

this is what i've been trying to say. i think the team should replace players by style. i think mccabe is the best suited to replace blake's offensive output and physical play of the remaining guys. if adam foote went down, then yeah, hannan would be the next guy. when they were picking the team, i have to think they planned to have a certain amount of "shut down" guys, a certain amount of guys who can move the puck, shoot the puck, etc. and because of this, i think they should stick with this system

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
No Morrison love here? One of the few players available to team canada that could play on any line. If another centre goes down he would be my next choice after Primeau and before Arnott, Tanguay et al.

Phanuthier*

Malefic74 said:
With all due respect, a reserve defenseman would have a hard time finding top pair duty against the other teams top forwards. Guys like Pronger, Foote and Niedermayer would get that honour, and even guys lower on the depth chart but still on the team like Redden and Regehr, would get call over Hannan.

Personally, I see his contribution as a 8th defenseman minimimal, and better fit for a guy like Bouwmeester, who would excel more as a depth defenseman that velchro (or whatever his name is).

Phanuthier*

ginner said:
No Morrison love here? One of the few players available to team canada that could play on any line. If another centre goes down he would be my next choice after Primeau and before Arnott, Tanguay et al.
Totally slipped my mind :blush:

Not that you mention it... I'd put him 2 on my list, behind only Bertuzzi.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I am not sold on McCabe. Perhaps it's my bias but he doesn't strike me as a guy you want for a tournament where every single game is so important.

Call me crazy but I would've rather seen Souray get a shot. One season doesn't make him a top defenseman but I'd say he's well worth the risk, if you can call it that.

One guy who won't get the shot is Phillips...who is one d-man that would be excellent for games that are very, very important.

Splatman Phanutier said:
With all due respect, a reserve defenseman would have a hard time finding top pair duty against the other teams top forwards. Guys like Pronger, Foote and Niedermayer would get that honour, and even guys lower on the depth chart but still on the team like Redden and Regehr, would get call over Hannan.

Personally, I see his contribution as a 8th defenseman minimimal, and better fit for a guy like Bouwmeester, who would excel more as a depth defenseman that velchro (or whatever his name is).

Yet Hannan was not on the top pair in San Jose, yet he drew that duty. Based on a few things that Quinn does out of the ordinary it wouldn't surprise me to see him do this. It's not unheard of for a player to see duty only for power plays or when you really need a goal (as I suspect Mario willl be used), so why not use the tactic defensively as well? While conventional wisdom supports what you're saying, I'm merely suggesting a line of reasoning for Hannan's selection.

My first thought was Bouwmeester as well. Hannan's selection really surprised me. The only reasoning I can see behind is that they intend to replace Blake's offense with a guy like Redden or someone else already there; basically your number 2 is out, numbers 3 to 6 move up one spot and you replace your number 7 rather than trying to find another number 2. That and the only thing about Hannan is how well he handled Forsberg and Iginla in the playoffs.

Phanuthier*

Malefic74 said:
Yet Hannan was not on the top pair in San Jose, yet he drew that duty. Based on a few things that Quinn does out of the ordinary it wouldn't surprise me to see him do this. It's not unheard of for a player to see duty only for power plays or when you really need a goal (as I suspect Mario willl be used), so why not use the tactic defensively as well? While conventional wisdom supports what you're saying, I'm merely suggesting a line of reasoning for Hannan's selection.
So you think Scott Hannan will draw 20-30 minutes a game, and play ahead of Pronger, Foote, Niedermayer, Redden, Regehr, Brewer and Jovonoski?

Right now, he's a reserve forward, and likely 9-10 on the depth chart. I doubt he'll draw top duty ahead of other No 1 defenseman like Pronger, Niedermayer, Redden and Regehr, all of which draw did the same job as well, and judging by his inability to contain Iginla, at least Regehr did a better job of shutting down his man in the playoffs IMO, espcially outplaying Hannan in the Flames-Sharks series.

Killer 93

Sting004 said:
I am not sold on McCabe. Perhaps it's my bias but he doesn't strike me as a guy you want for a tournament where every single game is so important.

Call me crazy but I would've rather seen Souray get a shot. One season doesn't make him a top defenseman but I'd say he's well worth the risk, if you can call it that.

One guy who won't get the shot is Phillips...who is one d-man that would be excellent for games that are very, very important.

Obviously. :shakehead

Splatman Phanutier said:
So you think Scott Hannan will draw 20-30 minutes a game, and play ahead of Pronger, Foote, Niedermayer, Redden, Regehr, Brewer and Jovonoski?

Right now, he's a reserve forward, and likely 9-10 on the depth chart. I doubt he'll draw top duty ahead of other No 1 defenseman like Pronger, Niedermayer, Redden and Regehr, all of which draw did the same job as well, and judging by his inability to contain Iginla, at least Regehr did a better job of shutting down his man in the playoffs IMO, espcially outplaying Hannan in the Flames-Sharks series.

I'd put him ahead of Brewer for sure. But I'm of the opinion that Brewer is only there because of Lowe. He has regressed IMO, and still has problems in his own end. I can't see Hannan out ahead of Redden, Foote or Pronger, but defensively he is the equal of Regehr and a little ahead of Jovo who is still prone to giveaways. Late in a game, nursing a lead and your top guys getting tired I'd have no problem throwing out Hannan and Regehr to hold the fort for a shift or two. McCabe is too prone to stupid penalties and occasional displays of poor decisions with the puck.

As I said above; they're replacing a number 7 defenceman not a number 2.

Phanuthier*

Malefic74 said:
I'd put him ahead of Brewer for sure. But I'm of the opinion that Brewer is only there because of Lowe. He has regressed IMO, and still has problems in his own end. I can't see Hannan out ahead of Redden, Foote or Pronger, but defensively he is the equal of Regehr and a little ahead of Jovo who is still prone to giveaways. Late in a game, nursing a lead and your top guys getting tired I'd have no problem throwing out Hannan and Regehr to hold the fort for a shift or two. McCabe is too prone to stupid penalties and occasional displays of poor decisions with the puck.

As I said above; they're replacing a number 7 defenceman not a number 2.
Well since I quoted your post earlier, you deserve a response. I agree for the most part.

Brewer is there because of previous Olympic experiance and a strong World Championship showing. He really hasn't shown too much in the NHL, but experiance and upside warrents a roster spot.

Jovo's not a guy I'd want to line up against the other teams top player - heck, he wasn't even that in Vancouver - but I don't see Hannan better overall then Jovo. Jovo's prone to mistakes in his own zone, but so is Blake.

As for Regehr vs. Hannan... I'm a Flames fan obviously, and I have my biases obviously, but Regehr has much more physical assets then Hannan. To me, Hannan is exactly what his nickname is... velchro. Regehr is much stronger and tougher, and far better along the boards. From the little I've seen of Hanna (playoffs - which is where he made his name) his game seems to be to stick to a guy and make sure he goes no where. That's great for neautralizing opponents, but Regehr does that ontop of intimidation. Naslund may have had 9 points, but I wouldn't have even known he played if it wasn't for the scoresheet. In the first series, if Naslund wasn't capatalizing on his chances, he really wasn't visible or a factor. Detriots top players (Shanahan and Hull) were kept quiet, as was SJ's top players (minus Korolyuk) and St Louis was held off the board for the most part. Not only was Regehr able to shut all these guys down (for example, so I can do a series by series rather then game by game) but he kept them all to the outside because he is such an intimidating presense, something that Hannan doesn't have. Right now, I don't know if there's a stronger defender out there then Regehr. Maybe Stevens in his hay day, but not right now.

For the last-minute-of-3rd-down-a-goal situation, my depth charts would go (if Hannan made the team): Pronger, Foote, Regehr, Redden, Hannan.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Splatman Phanutier said:
For the last-minute-of-3rd-down-a-goal situation, my depth charts would go (if Hannan made the team): Pronger, Foote, Regehr, Redden, Hannan.

wait...you'd want foote, regehr, and hannan on if we were DOWN a goal? jeez, i'd rather have andy delmore on

if you meant UP a goal, then for the last minute i also would have pronger and foote on

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Splatman Phanutier said:
Well since I quoted your post earlier, you deserve a response. I agree for the most part.

Brewer is there because of previous Olympic experiance and a strong World Championship showing. He really hasn't shown too much in the NHL, but experiance and upside warrents a roster spot.

Jovo's not a guy I'd want to line up against the other teams top player - heck, he wasn't even that in Vancouver - but I don't see Hannan better overall then Jovo. Jovo's prone to mistakes in his own zone, but so is Blake.

As for Regehr vs. Hannan... I'm a Flames fan obviously, and I have my biases obviously, but Regehr has much more physical assets then Hannan. To me, Hannan is exactly what his nickname is... velchro. Regehr is much stronger and tougher, and far better along the boards. From the little I've seen of Hanna (playoffs - which is where he made his name) his game seems to be to stick to a guy and make sure he goes no where. That's great for neautralizing opponents, but Regehr does that ontop of intimidation. Naslund may have had 9 points, but I wouldn't have even known he played if it wasn't for the scoresheet. In the first series, if Naslund wasn't capatalizing on his chances, he really wasn't visible or a factor. Detriots top players (Shanahan and Hull) were kept quiet, as was SJ's top players (minus Korolyuk) and St Louis was held off the board for the most part. Not only was Regehr able to shut all these guys down (for example, so I can do a series by series rather then game by game) but he kept them all to the outside because he is such an intimidating presense, something that Hannan doesn't have. Right now, I don't know if there's a stronger defender out there then Regehr. Maybe Stevens in his hay day, but not right now.

YOU DON'T HAVE NIEDERMAYER ON THE ICE!!!!!!!!!!!

Phanuthier*

arrbez said:
wait...you'd want foote, regehr, and hannan on if we were DOWN a goal? jeez, i'd rather have andy delmore on

if you meant UP a goal, then for the last minute i also would have pronger and foote on
Sorry, typo! :blush:

Vast Ant Dioi

Jun 16, 2003
Xunantunich
thenewnhl.blogspot.com
Splatman, I was going to say much the same as you in regards to the Hannan vs. Regehr debate. I think Hannan is underrated by most outside of San Jose, but I think at this point in time it is clear that Regehr is a better defenseman. Before the Sj-Cal series there was a lot of talk of how Hannan would shut down Iginla, but given Iggy had goals in every Flame victory in that series save game 1, I'm not sure he did his job.

That said, I like his tenacity and character. Those are the biggest reasons I'd take him over a guy like McCabe, who seems like a selfish, arrogant bum to me (maybe it's the Leafs' sweater, hehe). I think Hannan will do much better in practice and in the dressing room as a #8 than would McCabe, who would no doubt be sulking and bitter over not being dressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->