Next in Line for Canada incase of Injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
Looks like Rob Blake is doubtful that he will play in the WCw/ Scott Hannan :bow: as his likely replacment

I was wondering who are the players next in line incaes someone withdraws not just for injury but any reasone

( just throwing out names in random order)

Forwards: Kieth Premeau, Jonathen Cheechoo, Rick Nash, Mark Recchi, Cory Stillman, Brandon Shanahan, Mike Comrie, Alyn McCauley, Jason Spezza

Defencmen: Scott Hannan, Brad Stuart, JM Liles, Bryan McCabe, Bouwmeester, Sheldon Souray, Kyle McLaren, Mike Rathjie (any shark u can thtink of :shakehead), Chris Phillips

Goalies:Marty Turco, JS Giguere, Jose Theodor

Thoughts??

leafaholix*

Players won't pull out for "any reason". This isn't the USA's Olympic basketball team.

Hmm, my take...

Forwards: Keith Primeau, Mark Recchi, Cory Stillman
Defense: Bryan McCabe, Scott Hannan, Jay Bouwmeester
Goalie: Jose Theodore, Marty Turco, Marc Denis

FYI, JM Liles is American.

knowitall

Apr 25, 2002
Northern Icon
Visit site
Cory Stillman? Are you drunk? Were talking about TEAM CANADA here!!! This guy was benched for an improtant Stanley Cup game because he wasnt good enough to play there but you think he might be good enough to play for TEAM CANADA. Sober up....Next in line would have to be Priemeau, Murray, Tanguay, Kariya, Nash or Recchi....................and you think Stillman....Holy Schnickeys!!!!!

mowthecat

sharkyz15 said:
Looks like Rob Blake is doubtful that he will play in the WCw/ Scott Hannan :bow: as his likely replacment

I was wondering who are the players next in line incaes someone withdraws not just for injury but any reasone

( just throwing out names in random order)

Forwards: Kieth Premeau, Jonathen Cheechoo, Rick Nash, Mark Recchi, Cory Stillman, Brandon Shanahan, Mike Comrie, Alyn McCauley, Jason Spezza

Defencmen: Scott Hannan, Brad Stuart, JM Liles, Bryan McCabe, Bouwmeester, Sheldon Souray, Kyle McLaren, Mike Rathjie (any shark u can thtink of :shakehead), Chris Phillips

Goalies:Marty Turco, JS Giguere, Jose Theodor

Thoughts??

I think Turco is a ways down the list to tell you the truth.

Last edited:

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
sharkyz15 said:

Jonathan Cheechoo ???????? I'm not you're a Sharks fan but there's a lot of players I would take before him. Maybe later but for this august World Cup, I really don't see how he could be in line. Little bias here don't you think ?

Alyn McCauley ???????? How many Sharks do you think are world class player ????

Sheldon Souray ? Unless he prove to be healthy he doesn't belong there.

Mike Rathje ?????? Why not Tom Preissing for team USA ???

P.S. If all of your sharks nominees was a joke that I didn't see it, i'm sorry it's late. If it's not a joke, you overrate your team as much as any team fans.

kremlin

Oct 11, 2003
Visit site
Russian Fan said:
Jonathan Cheechoo ???????? I'm not you're a Sharks fan but there's a lot of players I would take before him. Maybe later but for this august World Cup, I really don't see how he could be in line. Little bias here don't you think ?

Alyn McCauley ???????? How many Sharks do you think are world class player ????

Sheldon Souray ? Unless he prove to be healthy he doesn't belong there.

Mike Rathje ?????? Why not Tom Preissing for team USA ???

P.S. If all of your sharks nominees was a joke that I didn't see it, i'm sorry it's late. If it's not a joke, you overrate your team as much as any team fans.

I don't think Cheechoo and McCauley should be mentioned as being Team Canada candidates, although both had amazing season.

I do feel Mike Rathje should have gotten some consideration. Heck, I think he should have been an All-star this season.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
McCauley should be mentioned. There are some player I would take in front of him, but it's not like Draper and Maltby are much better than him.
Draper won the Selke, McCauley was a finalist while Maltby wasn't. Of course that's not an indication of their individual strenght, but it shows that McCauley would be a good replacement for a third or fourth liner (although I would take Keith Primeau for that role).

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
kremlin said:
I don't think Cheechoo and McCauley should be mentioned as being Team Canada candidates, although both had amazing season.

I do feel Mike Rathje should have gotten some consideration. Heck, I think he should have been an All-star this season.

I agree with it, Cheechoo got a good season, very nice progression. McCauley start to get the credit he should have receive when he was with the Leafs but even said that I think they are far from being a Team Canada candidate.

As for Mike Rathje, I'm a Habs fan & I don't even think Sheldon Souray should be mentioned with TEAM CANADA & Rathje like Souray need to prove me a lot more to be call TOP 8 Canadian defensmen.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
It seems to me that canadas depth on d fades pretty quickly...

I like Hannan but... we're already down to Scott Hannan? :blush:

Killer 93

SensGuy said:
I think that would be a mistake. As great a season as Hannan just had, McCabe had a better one.

That does not matter, because McCabe gets no respect or credit around here. McCabe is the only defenceman to ever make a mistake, didn't you see game 5?

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Chances are posters based in the east are going to be biased towards defensemen in their conference. It's not like the Sharks play at a reasonable time in the east. Hannan was the #1 defensemen for a club that played in the western conference finals.

Did you (SensGuy) seriously see enough of Hannan to definitively say that McCabe had a better season? I highly, highly doubt it.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Did you (SensGuy) seriously see enough of Hannan to definitively say that McCabe had a better season? I highly, highly doubt it.
:lol:

I guess you didn't know I live in Colorado. I've seen more than enough of Scott Hannan. I was talking at the beginning of the playoffs about how underrated he was.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Blake is a beast on the Blueline. Putting the fear of fat asses into everyone. But as physical and reliable Hannan is defensively, can he matche Blake's offensive contribuations as well as move the puck up the ice. McCabe is like Blake's clone, only not as dominant some nights. There are plenty of Canadian defensemen that can handle Blake's role on defense, from Hannan to Phillips. But besides McCabe there isn't one availble that has the size, skill, offense and defense to match Blake. Bouwmeester perhaps, but he is very young, so I doubt he would see much icetime in the 3rd, meaning our other D get overworked.

Nic

Apr 30, 2004
knowitall said:
Cory Stillman? Are you drunk? Were talking about TEAM CANADA here!!! This guy was benched for an improtant Stanley Cup game because he wasnt good enough to play there but you think he might be good enough to play for TEAM CANADA. Sober up....Next in line would have to be Priemeau, Murray, Tanguay, Kariya, Nash or Recchi....................and you think Stillman....Holy Schnickeys!!!!!

Stillman is the guy getting the last laugh here. He had 80 points last season AND won a Stanley Cup. He didn't play that well in the playoffs because he was battling an injury. There are better candidates for the WC team if somebody gets injured, but Stillman is still a very good player, whether you are willing to admit it or not.

As for the topic, here are the players I would consider to replace injured players on the team (roughly ranked in order of preference)

Forwards: Primeau, Sullivan, Tanguay, Kariya
Defense: Hannan, Bouwmeester, Stuart
Goal: Turco

Phanuthier*

Thats alot of Sharks :joker:

For my list,

Forwards: Bertuzzi (if reinstated), Primeau (if healthy), Rick Nash, Tanguey, Kariya, Jason Spezza
Defenseman: Bouwmeester, McCabe, Hannan

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
On offense, I would take Primeau (if a centre goes down) or Kariya.

I am really amazed at how Kariya's stock has fallen in the last 10 months. It seems like most people just forget about him nowadays, after an injury plagued season. Kariya should be a national team fixture, even though he didn't have the best of seasons. He steps up his game when playing for his country.

dumpnchase

Apr 24, 2004
California
Just a note to all who doubt Hannan or the Sharks players. Most of these guys have be proving for years that they are good players they just weren't getting the press so everyone outside of the pacific didn't realize how good they were until last season when they went to the WCFs.

It's not just with the Sharks it can be said of a lot of players playing in the Pacific timezone who are underrated.

Also Cheechoo scored almost 30goals playing on the Sharks third line. How many other NHLers scored 25-30goals playing on their team's third line? If **I** was picking I would pick him not because of skill (he does have an excellent shot) but because its guys like him who show everyone what a real NHLer is, all hard work and no whining.

And no Cheechoo isn't my fav player, that would be Friesen.

dumpnchase

Apr 24, 2004
California
SensGuy said:
:lol:

I guess you didn't know I live in Colorado. I've seen more than enough of Scott Hannan. I was talking at the beginning of the playoffs about how underrated he was.
So are u mad @ at him for stopping Forsberg? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->