Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Hedberg16 said:
Definately KARI LEHTONEN.

Henrik Lundqvist made the final? There are alot of goalie prospects better than him.

Actually there really aren't many goalie prospects better than Lundqvist, and I'm not saying that just because I'm a Rangers fan... I won't vote, 'cause I'm unsure. Lehtonen has better talent and Ed Belfour upside, but Lundqvist is WAY more proven, plus his resume is 10x more impressive than Lehtonen's.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Sonny Lamateena said:
This Ranger fan chooses... Lehtonen.

Congrats, you are the first! :clap:

This is unreal. I know about 90% of the votes for Lundqvist are from Swedes here because of the World Championships and Ranger fans but still.. why then did the Rangers choose Montoya?

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
Steadfast said:
Congrats, you are the first! :clap:

This is unreal. I know about 90% of the votes for Lundqvist are from Swedes here because of the World Championships and Ranger fans but still.. why then did the Rangers choose Montoya?

For the same reason they picked Lundqvist when we had Blackburn... people doubting Lundqvist don't sound like cynics or anything, it's just stupid. If you've paid any attention to Lundqvist at all, you know the story. Already and for a year now he's been regarded as the best Swedish goalie EVER. Montoya was chosen for the same reason Ovechkin or Schremp were chosen; Don Maloney saw him as the best player available at no. 6. It's that simple.

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
NYR469 said:
like who? there may be some others better but to say there are alot shows you are majorily underrating him.

1. Lehtonen
2. Raycroft
3. Fleury
4. Toivonen
5. DiPietro
6. Nitymaki
7. Lundqvist

He's top 10, but he's miles behind Lehtonen, and not within spitting distance of DiPietro.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I kinda agree with this... I'd have to admit Lehtonen. I don't think DiPietro is TOO much better, but better nonetheless... I think Lundqvist>Nittymaki... and Bryzgalov, and Ouellet, and Emery, and Miller. But not Toivonen, Fleury or DiPietro... Raycroft should be top 20, but not 2nd.

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
Bruins4Ever said:
1. Lehtonen
2. Raycroft
3. Fleury
4. Toivonen
5. DiPietro
6. Nitymaki
7. Lundqvist

He's top 10, but he's miles behind Lehtonen, and not within spitting distance of DiPietro.

God has spoken. Now we can end this discussion. :teach:

Conclusion: Lehtonen is the next one and Lundqvist is not.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Bruins4Ever said:
1. Lehtonen
2. Raycroft
3. Fleury
4. Toivonen
5. DiPietro
6. Nitymaki
7. Lundqvist

I think Lundqvist can be just as good as any of the goalies you have mentioned, but lets hear it for all of them becoming very good NHL goalies :handclap:

Know Your Enemy

Registered
Jul 18, 2004
North Vancouver
This is kind of strange, Lehtonen has dominated the SM-Liiga, World Juniors, the AHL and hasnt lost in the NHL.

Lehtonen was the goaltender/player of the year, and the playoff MVP in the SM-Liiga at around age 18. He was the World Juniors best Goaltender in '02 and won a Silver and 1 or 2 Bronze medals. Was on the AHL 2nd all-star team and was Goaltender of the month twice this year. Hasn't lost an NHL game while playing with a poor defensive club. And he also played very well in the World Cup pre-season..... I think its a given that Lehtonen should take this, he's dominated everywhere he's gone.

Taxman

Dec 9, 2003
Visit site
BobMarleyNYR said:
Actually there really aren't many goalie prospects better than Lundqvist, and I'm not saying that just because I'm a Rangers fan... I won't vote, 'cause I'm unsure. Lehtonen has better talent and Ed Belfour upside, but Lundqvist is WAY more proven, plus his resume is 10x more impressive than Lehtonen's.

Lundqvist has a much more impressive resume than Lehtonen? :biglaugh:

Lehtonen's resume seriously craps all over Lundqvist's. I have no idea where you got the idea that Lundqvist has anywhere near the resume Lehtonen has.

BTW, Lehtonen is in the AHL playoffs again right now and again is proving himself to be a ****ing big time big game goalie. He has been the best goalie of the entire AHL playoff tournament so far.

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
Taxman said:
Lundqvist has a much more impressive resume than Lehtonen? :biglaugh:

Lehtonen's resume seriously craps all over Lundqvist's. I have no idea where you got the idea that Lundqvist has anywhere near the resume Lehtonen has.

BTW, Lehtonen is in the AHL playoffs again right now and again is proving himself to be a ****ing big time big game goalie. He has been the best goalie of the entire AHL playoff tournament so far.

Lundqvist whould **** AHL. He'd shut everything out. SEL > AHL...

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004

Well isn't playing in an International Tournament with the best of the best NHLers better than being in the AHL playoffs?

Das Rancor

Dec 4, 2002
Saukkola City
Visit site
wassup77 said:
Seeing is believing!
Yeah, and when he makes the NHL, the Rangers are gonna make the playoffs and win the Stanley cup!
Geez... How many times does one have to type it:

SUCCESS IN EUROPE DOES NOT MEAN SUCCESS IN NORTH AMERICA!
:banghead:

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Lundqvist is the flavour of the week ...
incredible .. this guy was underrated for 2 years ..
but in 3 months ... he's now better than the #2 prospect on hockeysfuture top 50 ranking sure it doesnt mean anything .. but some Lundqvist homer here forgot that as great as Lundqvist resumé could be ... Lehtonen resumé is as good if not better than him while he's still 2 years younger ...

Lundqvist will probably turn out as a great goalie for the rangers ..
BUT !! Lehtonen could redefine the goalie position ... he's the most complete goalie I've ever seen in my life .. and he's done really well everywhere he played ..
Actually, I do think that Toivonen(which i'm probably one of his greatest fan even if he plays for the hated Bruins) could beat Lundqvist in the long run...
Lundqvist has good all around game like a lot of goalie .. but sometimes when these goalies can't adapt their style to other league .. so i'll wait until Lundqvist come in NA before I try to compare him to Lehtonen or even Toivonen !

miss hockey

Sep 6, 2004
Helsinki
FLYLine4LIFE said:
WC last year?? He made his name known then..and followed it up with an another amazing SEL year and was the Lundqvist show in the playoffs.

Yes but in Finland we had the Lehtonen show, in the regurlar season AND the playoffs.

At age 17.

wassup77 said:

you know, a 101 different goalies are great in europe,. then suck in North America. You heard of the likes of Lasak? He's a recent example, an older one is Myllys,. absolutely magnificent goalies on the big ice. supreme, dominant.
On the small ice, no future.

Lundqvist has yet to step onto AHL ice, so let's not judge his **** of the AHL just yet.
Besides, for many european goalies it takes an entire season to adjust to the AHL.
SEL better than AHL? Maybe in terms of who the top 3 guys for each team are, but guys 4-23 are better in the AHL than in the SEL. AHL -> SEL

I just read through this entire thread, your homerism for Lundqvist is incredible. You slam eveyr other goalie, claim the AHL is crap, claim theres no suhc thing as big ice small ice while there clearly is and you off-hand dismiss some of the best talent in the AHL without even looking at them once.

Go to www.theahl.com and look up goaltender statistics, look for Niittymäki, Toivonen, Fleury, etc etc who you so eagerly dismissed.

Lundqvist is the flavour of the week, remember that, but bear in mind that Lehtonen is the flavour of the millenium.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
until kari plays a full season in the nhl - i have trouble saying even he is better than raycroft or dipietro. it looks like he might be in a few years - but everyone here is counting their eggs before they're in the pudding with either of these two. doesnt matter what experience either has until its at least a season of the nhl. its like saying crosby is better than lecavalier - maybe he will be someday...but you cant say he is now.

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
miss hockey said:
Yes but in Finland we had the Lehtonen show, in the regurlar season AND the playoffs.

At age 17.

you know, a 101 different goalies are great in europe,. then suck in North America. You heard of the likes of Lasak? He's a recent example, an older one is Myllys,. absolutely magnificent goalies on the big ice. supreme, dominant.
On the small ice, no future.

Lundqvist has yet to step onto AHL ice, so let's not judge his **** of the AHL just yet.
Besides, for many european goalies it takes an entire season to adjust to the AHL.
SEL better than AHL? Maybe in terms of who the top 3 guys for each team are, but guys 4-23 are better in the AHL than in the SEL. AHL -> SEL

I just read through this entire thread, your homerism for Lundqvist is incredible. You slam eveyr other goalie, claim the AHL is crap, claim theres no suhc thing as big ice small ice while there clearly is and you off-hand dismiss some of the best talent in the AHL without even looking at them once.

Go to www.theahl.com and look up goaltender statistics, look for Niittymäki, Toivonen, Fleury, etc etc who you so eagerly dismissed.

Lundqvist is the flavour of the week, remember that, but bear in mind that Lehtonen is the flavour of the millenium.

Okay, that makes sense. I will wait to see how well Lundqvist will do in the AHL. But hey, this topic asks who will be the next great goalie. And nobody KNOWS. No goalie has garanteed that he will be great. I think Lundqvist will be better than Lehtonen.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
bleedgreen said:
until kari plays a full season in the nhl - i have trouble saying even he is better than raycroft or dipietro. it looks like he might be in a few years - but everyone here is counting their eggs before they're in the pudding with either of these two. doesnt matter what experience either has until its at least a season of the nhl. its like saying crosby is better than lecavalier - maybe he will be someday...but you cant say he is now.

Good replay, and the same goes for Lundqvist. Wait to judge them until we see what they both can do on the biggest level, the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad