Next Great Goalie Final!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diaboli

Sep 16, 2004
City once voted as F
An Ape called Yoko said:
Just out of curiousity. How many in here can make an honest vote. How many people have voted Lehtonen because the hype has been HUGE, since his days as a junior and playing SM-liiga as a 17-year old. You know, Lundqvist could end up better. I think they are on par right now. Henke has been dominating more than any other NHL-player in the SEL league the previous season. Thats the truth.

Unlike your comparison, mine isn't abstract, and can be counted due to that ;)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
err, hrm. see this kind of stuff is tough. honestly lehtonen is at the point of getting seriously overrated, he's good but he's not god. things shouldn't just be like "hear a name and automatically say he's amazing and better than everyone else".

I'd have to say that IMO i think the two are probably pretty close in terms of what they could become...all-star or even franchise goalies. lundqvist has only gotten better every year...better playing style, he works very hard to improve his game and isn't just happy to win (you can bet he wasn't happy about yesterdays game against canada even though he won). the guy is great on breakaways and has stopped many NHL star players on them...he's just damn good, he does deserve some press.

lehtonen is good also though and he does get the benefit of playing in NA...

so i dunno, i'll have to think about it a little...i want to be a homer and vote lundqvist but then again, i don't want to be a homer ;)

and remember this poll is about who will be the next great goalie...not who's already in the NHL. raycroft is a good goalie obviously but is he really "the next great goalie"? i don't think he has that upside

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Levitate said:
err, hrm. see this kind of stuff is tough. honestly lehtonen is at the point of getting seriously overrated, he's good but he's not god. things shouldn't just be like "hear a name and automatically say he's amazing and better than everyone else".

I'd have to say that IMO i think the two are probably pretty close in terms of what they could become...all-star or even franchise goalies. lundqvist has only gotten better every year...better playing style, he works very hard to improve his game and isn't just happy to win (you can bet he wasn't happy about yesterdays game against canada even though he won). the guy is great on breakaways and has stopped many NHL star players on them...he's just damn good, he does deserve some press.

lehtonen is good also though and he does get the benefit of playing in NA...

so i dunno, i'll have to think about it a little...i want to be a homer and vote lundqvist but then again, i don't want to be a homer ;)

and remember this poll is about who will be the next great goalie...not who's already in the NHL. raycroft is a good goalie obviously but is he really "the next great goalie"? i don't think he has that upside

Also a question... Which season hasn't Kari gotten better after? ;)

reaper

May 1, 2005
Well, tell me when he gets some experience from senior nationals :shakehead Doesn't prove much to me until you've played nationals against the best players. Lundqvist has proven he can handle international play and Lehtonen has not imo.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
reaper said:
Well, tell me when he gets some experience from senior nationals :shakehead Doesn't prove much to me until you've played nationals against the best players. Lundqvist has proven he can handle international play and Lehtonen has not imo.
Lundqvist does not prove he's a better goalie before he's played in the best league in the world ;)

reaper

May 1, 2005
Not saying he is better. Just saying it's ridicolous to say Lehtonen is better by a mile and such. They are both great goalies and will probably be big stars. Give both players credits. Just because Lundqvist hasn't played in NHL yet doesn't say he is not a good goalie. Sure, it will be a new test to play in NHL but the world championships have many great players and he can handle that level. Give creds to both players, they are both good, saying anything else is just bs.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
reaper said:
Not saying he is better. Just saying it's ridicolous to say Lehtonen is better by a mile and such. They are both great goalies and will probably be big stars. Give both players credits. Just because Lundqvist hasn't played in NHL yet doesn't say he is not a good goalie. Sure, it will be a new test to play in NHL but the world championships have many great players and he can handle that level. Give creds to both players, they are both good, saying anything else is just bs.
I didn't say he wasn't a good goalie. I used the reverse argument of the fact that you said.

ATLANTARANGER*

It is not unusual for a low round pick (8th)

E = CH² said:
I really want to understand what's up with all the lundqvist hype. Before those goalie threads and before the WC I had never heard his name before. How come so many posters like him more than a guy like Lehtonen ? Just being curious...
to not get any respect. Lehtonen on the other hand was a high pick. I guess people feel that the experts can't be wrong and that there has to be something wrong with the swede, or he's just been lucky. People I think fail to realize that goalies, like dmen, mature at a later age. Many of the great goalies in the NHL cameo f age in their 20's, mid to late.
Lundqvist has improved every year. He must come over and show he can now do it in N.A.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
ATLANTARANGER said:
to not get any respect. Lehtonen on the other hand was a high pick. I guess people feel that the experts can't be wrong and that there has to be something wrong with the swede, or he's just been lucky. People I think fail to realize that goalies, like dmen, mature at a later age. Many of the great goalies in the NHL cameo f age in their 20's, mid to late.
Lundqvist has improved every year. He must come over and show he can now do it in N.A.
Lehtonen has also improved every year, and his fast improvement made his team want to bring him over as early as possible.

DarthSather99

Mar 2, 2002
NYC
Visit site
Lundqvist

Both are good goalies, can you lose with either one? I vote Lundqvist cause no goalie in the World has done what he has done lately against premier competition.

Das Rancor

Dec 4, 2002
Saukkola City
Visit site
For heaven's sake! There have been many goalies who've been dominant in their league and/or at the world championships but haven't accomplished anything in NA... There's a reason why most scouts and most of the press rate Lehtonen among the top 5 prospects... He was 18 when he dominated in the finnish elite league... 18... And now he's the best goalie of the AHL... Lundqvist has proven nothing in comparison to Lehtonen... It really is a bit ridiculous to compare these two... I think, now that Fleury has again faltered under pressure, it's safe to say that Lehtonen is in a league of his own... I might consider adding Lundvist to the 5-10 top goalie prospects, but certainly not any higher before he has shown something in NA...
So clearly:

LEHTONEN

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
Das Rancor said:
Lundqvist has proven nothing in comparison to Lehtonen... It really is a bit ridiculous to compare these two...

Now I voted for Lehtonen, but this is ridiculous. Lundqvist's experience in Sweden is very similar to Lehtonen's in Finland. Lehtonen was younger when he dominated the SM-Liiga, sure, but Lundqvist faced tougher competition this past season. The biggest difference between what they've acheived is that Lehtonen put on a show in the men's league at 18, and Lundqvist has had a slower road. He started playing in the SEL at 19, started playing out of his skin at 20, and started dominating at 21.

Sure, Lundqvist has not played in NA, which leaves you with a doubt as to his ability to adjust, but would anyone seriously suggest that being the best goalie in the AHL this season is more impressive than being the best goalie in the SEL this season?

I agree with those who say that Lehtonen is the best, but Lundqvist is definitely up amongst the best.

Das Rancor

Dec 4, 2002
Saukkola City
Visit site
007 said:
Sure, Lundqvist has not played in NA, which leaves you with a doubt as to his ability to adjust, but would anyone seriously suggest that being the best goalie in the AHL this season is more impressive than being the best goalie in the SEL this season?

I would... The AHL is the number one show case for young players who want to make it to the NHL... The players have something to prove... The SEL might have been full of NHLers, but the question is how hard did they try? And they had to adjust to the swedish game aswell... Oh yeah... Tim Thomas totally dominated in the finnish SM-Liiga this season... With a couple of NHL goalies playing way worse than him... Success in Europe doesn't mean success in NA...

Last edited:

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
Das Rancor said:
Success in Europe doesn't mean success in NA...
And vice versa.

Das Rancor said:
The AHL is the number one show case for young players who want to make it to the NHL... The players have something to prove...
What do they need to prove while there is no NHL ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad