Next Great Goalie Final!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

f1nn

Jan 12, 2004
Espoo, Finland
Balej20 said:
I heard from an inside scout that Lehtonen will never make it to the big times. Lundquist is the real deal

that must be one dumbass scout... you can quote me on that later

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Jesus! The Rangers homerism is really coming out. Remember Blackburn? You know what? Until Lundqvist comes over here and proves a couple seasons in the AHL/NHL, I'd say he's a good prospect but he's no where near guys like Toivonen, Lehtonen, Raycroft, DiPietro...

Until he comes over here, until he can show he can put up numbers without a great cast, until he puts together a few good seasons, we can speculate all we want until we are blue in the face.

He has good numbers in the SEL, great for him! He's proven against NHLers...so has guys like Lehtonen, Raycroft, and DiPi and they've shown they can put up the numbers in around 60-80 games a year.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Diaboli said:
Lehtonen

Just out of curiosity, how many of the people who voted Lundqvist is neither Swedish, or a Ranger fan?

You know, just out of curiosity :D
Just out of curiousity. How many in here can make an honest vote. How many people have voted Lehtonen because the hype has been HUGE, since his days as a junior and playing SM-liiga as a 17-year old. You know, Lundqvist could end up better. I think they are on par right now. Henke has been dominating more than any other NHL-player in the SEL league the previous season. Thats the truth.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
An Ape called Yoko said:
Henke has been dominating more than any other NHL-player in the SEL league the previous season. Thats the truth.
That doesn't mean he'll dominate on AHL/NHL ice...
And look at Lehtonen who was a starter at an extremely early age in SM-liiga, where competition for goalies is much harder on a consistant basis, not just for one single season against NHL goaltenders of whom many where not very motivated and others not really adjusted to the bigger ice.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
mattihp said:
That doesn't mean he'll dominate on AHL/NHL ice...
And look at Lehtonen who was a starter at an extremely early age in SM-liiga, where competition for goalies is much harder on a consistant basis, not just for one single season against NHL goaltenders of whom many where not very motivated and others not really adjusted to the bigger ice.
The big ice vs small ice is all bogus. If the goalies are talanted enough, they will adjust. And Henke is a big boy, and already has a style that will fit perfectly. So that is a weak argument.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
An Ape called Yoko said:
The big ice vs small ice is all bogus. If the goalies are talanted enough, they will adjust. And Henke is a big boy, and already has a style that will fit perfectly. So that is a weak argument.
Alot of if he will adjust and so will depend on how he's treated over there... He's quite the crybaby (IE, wants to be starter or leave, Norrena situation) so I doubt he will want to play in the AHL to learn to tinker with his style... Much will matter on coincidences too.. On how the defense will line up front of him...

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
mattihp said:
Alot of if he will adjust and so will depend on how he's treated over there... He's quite the crybaby (IE, wants to be starter or leave, Norrena situation) so I doubt he will want to play in the AHL to learn to tinker with his style... Much will matter on coincidences too.. On how the defense will line up front of him...
He has said several times, that he is expecting to do a year in the AHL first. But me thinks he won´t have to.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
An Ape called Yoko said:
He has said several times, that he is expecting to do a year in the AHL first. But me thinks he won´t have to.
Considering there are a couple of guys who want to prove themselves on the rangers... I think he'll play at least 20 games in the AHL and then backing up whoever is hottest in the N.

AndersEriksson*

Lundqvist :bow:

I love how people say that since they've never heard of the guy he can't be any good :biglaugh:

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
mattihp said:
Considering there are a couple of guys who want to prove themselves on the rangers... I think he'll play at least 20 games in the AHL and then backing up whoever is hottest in the N.

I think the Rangers will make a trade. They always do. Lunqvist will then break through somewhere else and the Rangers will end up with squat, as always. ;)

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Riddarn said:
I think the Rangers will make a trade. They always do. Lunqvist will then break through somewhere else and the Rangers will end up with squat, as always. ;)
sounds pretty likely ;)

I don't see either of these two guys not being star goaltenders, but I think Lehtonen has the upper hand thanks to his cool demeaneor(sp?) and willingness to adjust. He's coaches' pet really.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
I'll tell you right now, I read the first post and I am not going to waste one more second reading any more of this crap.

Lundqvist is nowhere freakin near Lehtonen. If I look back and find even 30 per cent of this thread voting for Lundqvist I'm done with this garbage.

It's not even close. There are at least five goalies that I can think of that blow Lundqvist out of the water (Dipietro, Raycroft, Fleury, Toivenen, Niitimaki) . It's not even fair to the poor guy make this comparison. God.... get over your hard-ons Lundqvist fans. He's not that good.

Last edited:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Balej20 said:
I heard from an inside scout that Lehtonen will never make it to the big times. Lundquist is the real deal

I hope he has something to fall back on.

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Le Golie said:
I'll tell you right now, I read the first post and I am not going to waste one more second reading any more of this crap.

Lundqvist is nowhere freakin near Lehtonen. If I look back and find even 30 per cent of this thread voting for Lundqvist I'm done with this garbage.

It's not even close. There are at least five goalies that I can think of that blow Lundqvist out of the water (Dipietro, Raycroft, Fleury, Toivenen, Niitimaki) . It's not even fair to the poor guy make this comparison. God.... get over your hard-ons Lundqvist fans. He's not that good.
I think Lundqvist is a top-4 upcoming goalie, no doubt. (Not counting Luongo, as he's surefire)

Lehtonen
Raycroft

Lundqvist/Toivonen (DiPietro?)

Something like that.

reaper

May 1, 2005
Calm down legolie, your just making a fool of yourself. Maybe we are giving lunkan a bit extra credit but it's not like his stats doesn't talk for himself. He has dominated the SEL latest couple of years and this year we had a lot of goalies from the NHL. This years SEL was best ever and he still was the best goalie by FAR. If anyone is overhyped it's Lehtonen, why isn't he in the world championships playing if he's that great?? We all have our favourites and lunkan will be a future star, trust me, so don't come whining about him.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
reaper said:
Calm down legolie, your just making a fool of yourself. Maybe we are giving lunkan a bit extra credit but it's not like his stats doesn't talk for himself. He has dominated the SEL latest couple of years and this year we had a lot of goalies from the NHL. This years SEL was best ever and he still was the best goalie by FAR. If anyone is overhyped it's Lehtonen, why isn't he in the world championships playing if he's that great?? We all have our favourites and lunkan will be a future star, trust me, so don't come whining about him.
Lehtonen is in the playoffs, since the team that drafted him wanted him over as soon as possible when they saw how he could carry a team ;)

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
mattihp said:
Lehtonen is in the playoffs, since the team that drafted him wanted him over as soon as possible when they saw how he could carry a team ;)

Ouch! Buuurn! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad