Next Great Goalie Final!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
FLYLine4LIFE said:
WC last year?? He made his name known then..and followed it up with an another amazing SEL year and was the Lundqvist show in the playoffs.

edit-oops, didnt see someone already brought up last years WC.

Like I said besides Swe-Can I really didn't watch any Sweden games. And I certainly didn't concentrate on Lundqvist back then, didn't care much for him, so I just don't remember how he played.

So if I resume, he's flown totally under the radar until he was drafted and then he's had a strong 12-15 months and he's the best goalie prospect over a guy like Lehtonen ? A guy who's been consistently awesome (for his age) for the past 4-5 years ? How much of a sure bet is he to adapt his game to the NHL (schedule, size of ice, etc) compared to a guy like Lehtonen who's already seen a little NHL action and who's played a lot in the AHL already ?

Like I said, I'm just being curious, I really don't know much about him, and one game (actually 2 thirds of a game as I missed the 1st period) certainly ain't enough for me to judge him. I just want to understand what motivates people to put him above Lehtonen. It just seems to me that if people go by his success in Sweden and on the international stage, it's a much smaller sample of success than the one Lehtonen has had so far, no ?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
wassup77 said:
Yeah imagine that! I even thought Lundqvist looked much better than Brodeur today!

But Brodeur played one of the crappiest game I've seen him play, it's not much of a compliment for Lundqvist.

wassup77

Nov 15, 2004
Sweden
E = CH² said:
But Brodeur played one of the crappiest game I've seen him play, it's not much of a compliment for Lundqvist.

I know, Lundqvist didn't have his best game either.

MLH

Feb 6, 2003
I counted again and got 10-6-1.

Lundqvist: Rancid, wassup77, Flylineforlife, pld45, MLH, NYRangers
Lehtonen: TGO, tm, HerRoc, EroCaps, CF87, dmcilvan, Taupy, Chooti, Steadfast, E=CH2
Erat: Predsfan77

Karma_

Mar 12, 2004
Lehtonen

Lehtonen dominated in europe before he turned 20.
Since then he has played 2 full regular seasons in NA with consistently high level, and even better in play-offs.

Then again, there is no reason Lundqvist couldn't do well in NA too, but until he does, he could be the next Tellqvist/Salo all i know.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Ok lundquist is looking good but he's also getting overrated ...
Lehtonen could start a new generation of goalie .. big,fast,athletic goalie ...
could turn out better than Luongo .. and for Lundquist .. I think he could have a good career if he's well surrounded ... could turn out like Kiprusoff!
My vote to Lehtonen!

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
E = CH² said:
Like I said besides Swe-Can I really didn't watch any Sweden games. And I certainly didn't concentrate on Lundqvist back then, didn't care much for him, so I just don't remember how he played.

So if I resume, he's flown totally under the radar until he was drafted and then he's had a strong 12-15 months and he's the best goalie prospect over a guy like Lehtonen ? A guy who's been consistently awesome (for his age) for the past 4-5 years ? How much of a sure bet is he to adapt his game to the NHL (schedule, size of ice, etc) compared to a guy like Lehtonen who's already seen a little NHL action and who's played a lot in the AHL already ?

Like I said, I'm just being curious, I really don't know much about him, and one game (actually 2 thirds of a game as I missed the 1st period) certainly ain't enough for me to judge him. I just want to understand what motivates people to put him above Lehtonen. It just seems to me that if people go by his success in Sweden and on the international stage, it's a much smaller sample of success than the one Lehtonen has had so far, no ?

There is more to it than that. He wasn't really well known even when he was drafted, I believe, as the Rangers picked him in the 7th round. He quickly became a much more noticeable prospect after he was drafted, though. His numbers in the SEL have been eye-popping, especially for someone so young. If you watch his highlights (which you can find in the Lundqvist thread on the Rangers board), you can see his quickness and concentration and the spectacular saves he can make.

What he has achieved in Sweden is very similar to what Lehtonen did in Finland. Like Lehtonen, his regular season numbers are frightening, and then his playoff numbers have been off the charts. Kari did it when he was a teenager, but Lundqvist has managed it against a lot of NHL-calibre opposition.

Between Lundqvist and Lehtonen, I'd still have to say I lean Lehtonen: because he is a year and a half younger, has more imposing physical stature, and is already in North America. None of these are very strong reasons, though and I can understand arguments either way.

Balej20*

I heard from an inside scout that Lehtonen will never make it to the big times. Lundquist is the real deal

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
dipietro and raycroft :)

sorry, couldnt resist - i cant vote for either of these two guys you all are fighting over, especially over two guys who are already proving their worth at the highest level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->