Next Canadian city to host the WJC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
What cities are favored in the running to host the next WJC in Canada?

I'm guessing London, Winnipeg (after the number of people in Grand Forks), Ottawa, Calgary/Edmonton and Quebec.

I thought London should have won the right to host the 2006 tourney but Vancouver won. I think with the JLC in London and the Memorial Cup in London this year they should be one of the front runners. I may sound bias being from London, but I think they deserve to host the tourney with the amount of interest in the CHL over the past 40 years, we deserve it.

I think the biggest competition will come from Ottawa

gretzky99

trahans99 said:
What cities are favored in the running to host the next WJC in Canada?

I'm guessing London, Winnipeg (after the number of people in Grand Forks), Ottawa, Calgary/Edmonton and Quebec.

I thought London should have won the right to host the 2006 tourney but Vancouver won. I think with the JLC in London and the Memorial Cup in London this year they should be one of the front runners. I may sound bias being from London, but I think they deserve to host the tourney with the amount of interest in the CHL over the past 40 years, we deserve it.

I think the biggest competition will come from Ottawa

I think Vancouver will draw far more then London.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
yeah given that Vancouver has the 2010 Olympics as well... if you were CHA where would you rather host the WJC? Vancouver with over 2 million people or a small Ontario city? hmmm it's a tough one

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
MooseHunter said:
yeah given that Vancouver has the 2010 Olympics as well... if you were CHA where would you rather host the WJC? Vancouver with over 2 million people or a small Ontario city? hmmm it's a tough one

I understand that, but the WJC is not about big market hockey or the olympic which is part of the reason they chose vancouver. Vancouver has had a WHL team for what, 5 years, London for 40 years.

I can understand why they chose Vancouver, but was a little disappointed b/c I thought London was gonna win (i had front row tickets for every game in the tourney)

But next years Canada team won't be as strong and probably isn't favored to win so if they don't win i would have been even more disappointed.

Either way, what cities will compete for the next tourney in Canada.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
I think it should go to Ottawa. We have 2 quality stadiums for the event (Corel Center and Civic Center), our junior team leads the CHL in attendance, we have a second junior team in the city, and we have been bent over by the CHA real good the past 2 bids, so it is a chance to make amends. It also hasn't been to Ontario in a LOOOONNNNGGGGG time.

mymkovski

Aug 16, 2004
I believe that Winnipeg has earned its right to host the event after saving the event's booty in Grand Forks.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
I think its Ottawa or London. I think the JLC being brand new and state of the art might give is some edge but Ottawa has a slightly larger arena and has had a great junior team so its almost 50/50 IMO.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
SLIGHTLY larger? While the Civic center is only slightly larger, Ottawa has a NHL rink and a normal sized junior rink, ALL in the same city. London has nothing CLOSE to the Corel Center.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
I'd love to see the WJC in Ontario, as long as it is awarded to a city that supports junior hockey (which leaves Toronto and Hamilton out). London/Kitchener (yes, it was a joint bid the last time) or Ottawa would be great choices.

Aebischer4ever

Jan 15, 2005
North Bay, Ontario
Habs13 said:
If it's Montreal, Quebec City or Ottawa.. I'll be there.

I'd love to see the next one in any of those cities cause then i'd actually be able to go and see them. Also they're great hockey cities and any one would make for a great host.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
Vancouver, of course, will be the next city to host the tournament. After that, it should be in Ottawa. You have two 10,000-plus seat arenas, plus, if need be, you can access the arena in Hull, which has also hosted a Memorial Cup. Ottawa would be a very deserving area, I actually thought they would get the WJC for 2005-06, but as a former BC resident, I was quite pleased to see Vancouver/the Lower Mainland receive the tournament.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ottawa actually finished second in the voting, Ottawa had by far the most packages sold but Vancouver got it due to the olympics. (which in my opinion didnt make alot of sense, because the world juniors are no where near close to the same scale).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad