Newsday: Offer Almost Done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Again..

Why would a SINGLE player or OWNER admit to being involved in any kind of revolt before it works..

We will not hear names untill after a deal is (potentially) signed..

Most of these guys will have to go back playing with the PA, and if the coupe of sorts fails, they don't want their name attached to it...

Same thing from the owners side.. why would they want to attach their name to this?

Does not make it any more true or false..

just provides reasoning why everyone is denying everything..

:dunno:

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Alan Hahn is certainly a name I recognize, but I don't know a thing about that newspaper. Is it credible or a rag?

Balej20*

Lowetide said:
Alan Hahn is certainly a name I recognize, but I don't know a thing about that newspaper. Is it credible or a rag?

Alan Hahn is creditable. Newsday is a very widely circulated Newspaper on Long Island. They have a very creditable sports section...their news section, however, leaves a lot to be desired...lol

Hemooli

Jan 25, 2005
www.csfbl.com
Lowetide said:

Newsday is certainly a large and credible source in most cases; however, they have rarely done NHL news in the past, so I have some doubt about their source.

not quite yoda

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
"The proposal, the source said, involves a $46-million cap with a 100 percent luxury tax that starts at $42 million. There also is a provision that drops the cap to $42 million should more than eight teams hit the $46-million cap in the same season"

This looks like an exceptionaly delicious offer if it comes from the players. Totally reasonable and would address the League's fears of a magnet force that would draw all teams to the maximum cap level.

Just hopes there's some truth to it. And that it gets published on a major site sometime soon (tsn.ca anyone?)

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
mudcrutch79 said:
My God LT, you've sunk low enough to be scanning the BoH, looking for a glimmer of hope?

DAMN!!! I was hoping my disguise would throw people off! damn you mudcrutch. :D

Thanks nomorekids, I didn't know it was that newsday.

I admit it's all gotten to me. For the first time since childhood I spoke out in defense of Stan Fischler today. Soon I will take up the accordion and begin to memorize the lyrics of that woman who sang Luka years ago. I feel like I have been stuck in an elevator with Ted Saskin for a year.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
A league source, who asked for anonymity, told The Tampa Tribune on Thursday that a group of players, which included NHL Players' Association president Trevor Linden, was working to get a deal together to give to the owners. Within 48 hours - the players want time to gauge opinions from union members before approaching the executive committee - the union is expected to make contact with the league. The source also indicated that Wayne Gretzky, now a general partner with the Phoenix Coyotes, and Pittsburgh Penguins owner/player Mario Lemieux were involved in the push. Reports also suggested that agents were working behind the scenes to help broker a deal they hope would end the lockout.

EdBelfour20

Jan 19, 2004
Please, obviously if this is going to happen (proposal to the NHL) we will hear about it by Saturday at the VERY LATEST :handclap:

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
If any of this is true, I wonder what they plan on doing about item #7 from their last proposal.
If they plan on including it in a new proposal, they might as well not present it.

Hockeycrazy3033

Feb 15, 2005
Hockeytown, Michigan
Here in Detroit...Gary Bettman was on 1130 the fan and I listened to the whole thing. He was saying that he didn't plan to not have a season and that he doesn't want to break the union. He was asked by WOJO like a million times if the season was really done, and Bettman was saying what he said yesterday that if today or the next couple days the PA would come to him and ask for that 42 offer again and that they'd accept it that he'd gladly have another press conference to uncancel the season. They also were asking him what would he have done if they asked him for 45 mil, and he says "They should of asked, and then we would of went from there" basically he said the same thing from yetserdays conference which goes to show it's all Bob Goodenows fault and he should rot in hell. These rumblings about the players and that they'd accept the cap well DAMN if u hear the commish saying he'd uncancel the season why sit there and do nothing if ur really that pissed off with ur own head of the union and that u guys actually want to play...makes no sense. Im not saying anything is going to happen, but it sure as hell was nice of Bettman (even though I can't stand him) to say he'd gladly uncancel the season if the PA does something about it.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
kenabnrmal said:
Remind me what #7 is, please.
Here it is:
7. Indexing of Tax Rates and Payroll Minimums & Maximums All dollar amounts would be in place for 2004-05 (pro-rated) and 2005-06. Dollar levels for tax rates, payroll minimums & maximums for subsequent years either constant or increased by % change in greater of either hockey related revenues or only the gate receipts and broadcasting segments of hockey related revenues from the 2005-06 base year.

It says, if league revenues go up, the cap goes up.

We all thought the PA didn't want linkage, but, from this we see that they only want linkage if revenues go up.

They want 0 risk and all reward.

Sorry, if the PA wants to be partners they have to be partners in good times and bad. They have to take the risks if they want the rewards.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->