News Article: News & Notes

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Story about Minnesota Sweden... they put fish on pizza. Herring of course, and more types IIRC. And their individual pizzas are humongous. Like 18 inches wide but paper thin. I have never seen such a thing.

Fu Fan. Maybe our esteemed sverigians can confirm their favorite pizza topping.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Nobody forces people to play hockey. Nobody forces people to play football. You assume the risks when you sign-up, sign a contract. Even in the game of hockey, nobody forces anyone to fight (well most of the time). While they may not have known all the risks at all times in the past, they know the risks now.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Nobody forces people to play hockey. Nobody forces people to play football. You assume the risks when you sign-up, sign a contract. Even in the game of hockey, nobody forces anyone to fight (well most of the time). While they may not have known all the risks at all times in the past, they know the risks now.

No doubt. But its not a good look for these leagues to have CTE and players killing themselves afterwards thats for sure.

They would ban these hits to the head/fighting for the same reason they ban steroids and other performance enhancing drugs that could potentially be hazardous to your health.

Thats why they put in concussion protocols.

You really have to protect your investments and this means protecting the players from themselves.

The more of these CTE findings that come out the less appetite the sports leagues will have for the bad publicity.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I have to say that its probably time to do away with fighting in the NHL sadly. The realities of scientific research are in the back of my mind now and its hard seeing people bash each others heads knowing what can happen down the road.

I agree.

We can adjust to life without it. The sport continues to do just fine in Europe and is beautiful to watch. Swedes play a beautiful version of it.

Or, continue to allow fighting, but just make it an automatic game misconduct. You could still send a message or avenge a wrong or fire your team up, but your squad would be one man short the rest of the way. I think that would radically reduce the amount of it.

Just a thought.

Hockey is much bigger and better than just fighting. Let's protect the health of players.

And as long as we're on the subject, the season is way too damn long. Not that it'll ever change. But that would improve player health too -- if players played 65 games per regular season, not 82.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I agree.

We can adjust to life without it. The sport continues to do just fine in Europe and is beautiful to watch. Swedes play a beautiful version of it.

Or, continue to allow fighting, but just make it an automatic game misconduct. You could still send a message or avenge a wrong or fire your team up, but your squad would be one man short the rest of the way. I think that would radically reduce the amount of it.

Just a thought.

Hockey is much bigger and better than just fighting. Let's protect the health of players.

And as long as we're on the subject, the season is way too damn long. Not that it'll ever change. But that would improve player health too. If players were playing 65 games per regular season, not 82.

Yeah I agree. And this is coming from a knuckle dragging dinosaur that has been pro fighting for years. You get older, science advances, more info becomes available and you change your thoughts.

Now as far as reducing the season...AHAHAHAHAHA

Owners will NEVER do that. This is a gate driven league (and TV ratings are important too). The less games you have the less revenue you have.

Fighting ban and hits to the head would cause some angst among old schoolers but it won't have an effect on the bottom line.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I've been all about violence but slowly thats been eroding. Yeah I wouldn't want my son playing football for sure.

MMA is something I can't watch at all.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Sad to hear about Mr. Capgeek, Matthew Wuest. :(

Life is all too brief. *Sigh*

James 4:14New King James Version (NKJV)

14 whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away.

Anyway, I used to be totally pro-fighting but as I get older the more I think they should just ban it. I hate seeing players lives ruined by concussions. I feel like I am supporting a blood sport by cheering for it. :(

Of course, reffing standards will have to go way, way, way up if they are going to ban fighting.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Not Garrison Keillor's Prairie Home Companion and Gilligan's Island? :sarcasm:

Those are in the top 5 for sure!!!

Gomez from all accounts is a good dude. He makes a point that its one thing to get ripped by fans and the media but what really hurts is when close friends and teamates pity you like you have the plague or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad