http://video.flames.nhl.com/videocenter/

A Summary:

Part 1
  • No update on Kiprusoff situation.
  • Expects to have Ramo under contract by camp
  • Happy with the number of goaltenders signed

Part 2
  • Scouted Memorial Cup extensively
  • Interviewed 60 players at combine, may be interested in some guys that they did not interview
  • Continues having talks with other teams about moving up into top 5
  • Draft BPA
  • Knows the cost to move up and who is willing to trade down
  • Is open to trading 22nd and 28th in the right situation, but would be happy with the picks
  • Teams have inquired about #6 but cost too high and no one would ante up
  • Knows how important this draft is to the future of the Flames
  • Admits it is a rebuild, joked about going to therapy to accept it
  • Feaster says the staff is very prepared for the draft

Part 3
  • Needs to improve center ice position. Needs more size in bottom 6 and faceoff needs to improve.
  • Wants a physical shutdown defenseman for the 3rd pairing
  • Need to get bigger and harder to play against up and down the lineup
  • Would like to bring in a shooting RW
  • Critiqued plans from the past 2 years
  • Knows there is no quick fix
  • Drafting needs to improve, but has improved the last 3 years
  • Need to add assets, no more trading top draft picks just to make playoffs

Part 4
  • No compliance buyouts for current roster players
  • Looking forward to GM meetings to talk with other GMs face to face
  • Willing to bring in bad contracts
  • Asked if we could take on a miserable contract and use a compliance buyout on him and Feaster said "I was ruling out compliance buyouts from where we stand right now. Of the group thats under contract here in Calgary right now we would not have any compliance buyouts"
  • Thinks approaching trades with the attitude that you have to win is not as effective as trying to work out a deal that is good for both teams.
  • Asked of Cammalleri or Tanguay has requested a trade and his response was "I cannot confirm nor deny and nothing should be inferred by my inability to confirm or deny"
  • Did not deny Tanguay/Cammalleri were in play at draft

Part 5
  • Exercised options on Clint Malarchuk, Jamie Pringle, John Weisbrod, Chris Snow and TroyWard
  • Abbotsford's staff all returning except assistant coaches Luke Strand & Kale McLean, they will likely be replaced by 1 body
  • Craig Conroy will be taking over day to day hockey operations in Abbotsford but will still be based in Calgary and still help in Calgary
  • Qualifying offers have to be presented by July 2nd
  • Butler & Backlund have arbitration rights, Brodie does not so it changes negotiations.
  • No concerns of offer sheets due to the abundance of cap space
  • They want to re-sign Butler
  • This past year was simply not good enough

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
The longer that we have no word on Kipper, does that mean he is more likely to stay?

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
The longer that we have no word on Kipper, does that mean he is more likely to stay?
No I don't think so. The impression I get is he is ready to retire and is waiting in case the desire to return arises

either way I hope he is gone next year, if he returns I want him traded

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I wouldn't be surprised if Micheal Ryder is the shooting RW he's after. I'd welcome it actually.

In terms of centers and face off improvement I think that is going to have to happen via trade.

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
After watching the video I'm starting to think feaster may have a deal to move into the top 5. He said in the interview " I think in the right scenario we could do something" in regards to trading into the top 5. I seriously think the flames want mackinnon or barkov and so they should and I could see us doing something pick with our picks to get into the top 5 to get either of them.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Yeah, it really seems like Feaster wants to make a move pretty badly. I'm scared of what the price will be though.

It obviously will be worth the fact that we created a winning atmosphere in calgary by winning 1 more game.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
God that irks me...a couple meaningless wins prevents us from picking up a franchise player. Ah well, its good to see our young guys come in and play to win.

Good thing the Islanders didn't win any games to end the season in 2000 so they got Rick DiPietro over Heatley or Gaborik. :laugh:

This is the problem calling prospects franchise players, we simply don't know what how these kids will do.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Fair point but you know what I'm getting at.

Yea I do but personally I will never complain about a team that tries to win (and does). I get that we want I new shinny toy but personally I respect our players and Hartley a hell of a lot more for not simply giving up. Not to mention that history shows us that many top prospects end up failing and players that are picked later end up better, we simply have to hope that our scouts have done their work and this is a draft that sets up the franchise.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
He has named Baertschi an untouchable. I doubt he moves him, as it would leave him with zero credibility.

Well, he also named Giordano, Brodie, and Glencross as untouchables. What else is there to trade to move up in the draft? 1st+Backlund/Gaudreau/Horak/whatever else won't be enough to move up.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Yea I do but personally I will never complain about a team that tries to win (and does). I get that we want I new shinny toy but personally I respect our players and Hartley a hell of a lot more for not simply giving up. Not to mention that history shows us that many top prospects end up failing and players that are picked later end up better, we simply have to hope that our scouts have done their work and this is a draft that sets up the franchise.

True enough. We finally have a scouting system in place that I believe in for the first time as a flames fan. I think our scouting team is one of the best in the league, and time will show that I think.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
True enough. We finally have a scouting system in place that I believe in for the first time as a flames fan. I think our scouting team is one of the best in the league, and time will show that I think.

I am cautiously optimistic but based on some of the mock drafts I have seen I maybe very happy on draft day.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
It's too bad that Ward is staying on board. But I'm happy I finally heard the word faceoff come from his mouth.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's too bad that Ward is staying on board. But I'm happy I finally heard the word faceoff come from his mouth.

Care to expand? I was pretty impressed with how the AHL players who came up looked. I thought that that was down to him, right?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Care to expand? I was pretty impressed with how the AHL players who came up looked. I thought that that was down to him, right?

It seems he's not interested in development. Irving was poorly handled, and guys like Kolanos, Street, Walter, Sylvester would eat valuable development minutes

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
It seems he's not interested in development. Irving was poorly handled, and guys like Kolanos, Street, Walter, Sylvester would eat valuable development minutes
Ward played players who deserved to play. They had to earn their minutes, that's not a bad thing. The only issue I had was the Irving situation.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Well, he also named Giordano, Brodie, and Glencross as untouchables. What else is there to trade to move up in the draft? 1st+Backlund/Gaudreau/Horak/whatever else won't be enough to move up.

I think "untouchable" gets overplayed. Anyone is touchable. There are just players you'd move for market value and ones you'd want more than market value for. Glencross is probably legitimately untouchable since he has an NTC and won't be asked to waive it. Everyone else including Bartschi is available, some would just take an overpay to acquire. If Colorado offers you Duchene for Bartschi because they're drafting Mackinnon you do it since it's better than market value.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Ward played players who deserved to play. They had to earn their minutes, that's not a bad thing. The only issue I had was the Irving situation.

I blame upper management more than Ward because any franchise should have a mandate and provide clear instructions. And really Ward is given the roster to deal with so the lack of high end prospects isnt his fault. But ultimately, the coach is the guy on the ground calling the shots. Guys like Nemisz and Bouma should've been given more ice time IMO

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I blame upper management more than Ward because any franchise should have a mandate and provide clear instructions. And really Ward is given the roster to deal with so the lack of high end prospects isnt his fault. But ultimately, the coach is the guy on the ground calling the shots. Guys like Nemisz and Bouma should've been given more ice time IMO
Bouma was playing top 6 when he got hurt and Nemisz moved into the top 6 once his game picked up. Same goes for Reinhart.

Every player that deserved ice time got it. As a result Kolanos was a healthy scratch quite often because he looked disinterested, same with Aliu.

Things will also be different this coming year, they are telling Ward was system to employ so it matches the Flames.

And the person to blame for the Flames having no AHL talent right now is Sutter. Feaster's picks are just entering the pro ranks this coming year, so you really can't blame him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->