News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Grinder

No Respect
Oct 17, 2008
Jefferson, NJ
I will boo Kovy when he plays at the Rock. I look forward to it. Other than that I have no other thoughts or feeling. He left in a time when this franchise needed him the most and we now know his true character. Let him play for a rebuilding rangers team with an aging starting goaltender. Who cares. His “retirement” might have saved this team a great deal of turmoil.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
I guess I will never understand the desire for players to want to play in New York. It just doesn't appeal to me, then again I hate big cities and big markets.

Reactions: VoidCreature

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Fyi, another areana (17,500 seats) is being planned to be built in Suffolk li, by ronkonkama.... would be 40 miles east of belmont. So the rock, msg, barclays, nvmc, and whatever this will be called....5 areanas within 80 miles.

I would laugh, and it would be fitting , for the isles Belmont areana to fall through (which already has delays) and wind up out there

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Fyi, another areana (17,500 seats) is being planned to be built in Suffolk li, by ronkonkama.... would be 40 miles east of belmont. So the rock, msg, barclays, nvmc, and whatever this will be called....5 areanas within 80 miles.

I would laugh, and it would be fitting , for the isles Belmont areana to fall through (which already has delays) and wind up out there

Pretty crazy this logjam of arenas being built. This new place will probably take serious business away from the half assed refurbished Coliseum. Seems like they would've been better off just bulldozing it

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Another reason to rejoice in making the playoffs. So we don’t have an entire offseason of “another year of no playoffs! Kovy would have helped us though! He could have added 30 goals! We would have been in with him!”

Good riddance.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Shouldn't our recapture penalty decrease since he's still playing under his old contract for a different team?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Rangers don't really have all this cap space that everyone keeps mentioning

Skjei, Namestnikov, Spooner, Vesey, and Hayes all need new contracts (among others)

Should be interesting to keep an eye on Namestnikov and Spooner. I wouldn't be surprised to see them let Namestnikov walk or deal him.

Both are arbitration eligible. Namestnikov could likely command 3 million and Spooner could realistically get around 4.

Spending around 3 million each on Namestnikov, Hayes, and Spooner will eat into their cap space very quickly.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Shouldn't our recapture penalty decrease since he's still playing under his old contract for a different team?
His contract would not be related in any way to the old contract.
The recapture penalty is a sunk cost given the relative "benefit" we accrued versus the Cap Hit he costed us. I'd get used to it for another 7 years.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I also don’t believe this report. Their season just ended a day or two ago... he can’t sign anywhere here for over two months.

I've heard conflicting reports on this.

He can take himself off the VRL when he turns 35 on April 15th. It really all just depends on when his KHL deal 'expires.' I don't believe he has to wait until July 1st, that is just the date for expiring NHL deals.

Just like everything else in this Kovalchuk saga, it seems like it's all in a gray area where no one really knows what is going to happen. It's kind of fitting his return is just as cloudy as his initial contract and his departure.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Should be interesting to keep an eye on Namestnikov and Spooner. I wouldn't be surprised to see them let Namestnikov walk or deal him.

Both are arbitration eligible. Namestnikov could likely command 3 million and Spooner could realistically get around 4.

Spending around 3 million each on Namestnikov, Hayes, and Spooner will eat into their cap space very quickly.
they're saying their timeline works out, where they can extend QOs to the RFAs till they go UFA. they'll obviously part ways with zucc and maybe kreider, the idea being they can get rid of them for assets for the future

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
Seems about as wrong a move you could make during a rebuild that's barely started yet

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ

You know a lot about the Rags.

RandoDoomer

Apr 6, 2007
Bridgewater, NJ
So Kovalchuk, nearing the end of his career, wants to sign with a team just starting a rebuild? :huh: Go for it, bro! I guess winning isn't all that important to him. The Rangers just can't help themselves with washed up superstars.

Reactions: Colin226

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
So Kovalchuk, nearing the end of his career, wants to sign with a team just starting a rebuild? :huh: Go for it, bro! I guess winning isn't all that important to him. The Rangers just can't help themselves with washed up superstars.

That isnt it at all, think about it! Kovalsuck is getting up there in his old age..and he thinks he is still playing St. Petersburg SKA because the Rangers and them have very similar uniforms. He wont even know the difference..!! Also gotta play for the most known team! Gotta have that spotlight baby!!

Reactions: RandoDoomer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->