News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Where'd ya see that?

He got up and walked away from his little window after Mason got lost on the third goal. It was pretty funny. I don't know why they seem to think he's the answer to their defensive problems.

Maybe I'm conditioned in regards to his play from watching the Devils light him up like a Christmas tree every time we play him, but I'm just not a fan.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'm so shocked that Chevaldayoff still has a job in Winnipeg. Feels like he has total immunity there. Is he the actual owner of the team or one of them?

To be fair, Mason hasn't been as bad as Pavelec in recent years. Mason has only had one bad season in the last 4 or 5 years, while Pavelec has only had one good season in that time period, and two above average seasons in his entire career.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He got up and walked away from his little window after Mason got lost on the third goal. It was pretty funny. I don't know why they seem to think he's the answer to their defensive problems.

Maybe I'm conditioned in regards to his play from watching the Devils light him up like a Christmas tree every time we play him, but I'm just not a fan.
Did you catch his interview on the 1st intermission? He said something like ''Success doesn't happen overnight''. I mean, it hasn't been overnight. It's been going on 7 years and his team has been the kings of mediocrity over that time span. How does he get to keep his job? Aside from Garth Snow, who has currently had their job for more than 5 years as a GM, and has such a shitty track record? And ownership just extended this fool, and he also extended Paul Maurice, who is the fourth longest tenured head coach in the league and has made the playoffs with them once.

They claim they're competing every year, but they look to be tanking every year, if that's what you call competing. Ownership must think they're tanking also, because you don't keep Chevaldayoff this long if you were supposed to be competing all these years. And all I hear about when he's praised are his draft picks. Yeah, that's kind of what happens when you suck year after year.

Reactions: Peter Sidorkiewicz

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Did you catch his interview on the 1st intermission? He said something like ''Success doesn't happen overnight''. I mean, it hasn't been overnight. It's been going on 7 years and his team has been the kings of mediocrity over that time span. How does he get to keep his job? Aside from Garth Snow, who has currently had their job for more than 5 years as a GM, and has such a ****ty track record? And ownership just extended this fool, and he also extended Paul Maurice, who is the fourth longest tenured head coach in the league and has made the playoffs with them once.

They claim they're competing every year, but they look to be tanking every year, if that's what you call competing. Ownership must think they're tanking also, because you don't keep Chevaldayoff this long if you were supposed to be competing all these years. And all I hear about when he's praised are his draft picks. Yeah, that's kind of what happens when you suck year after year.

Definitely one of the more puzzling tenures in the league. If they don't step it up I don't see how Laine's stay in Winnipeg is going to go any better than Kovalchuk's in Atlanta. Same organisation, same lack of results.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I'm so shocked that Chevaldayoff still has a job in Winnipeg. Feels like he has total immunity there. Is he the actual owner of the team or one of them?

To be fair, Mason hasn't been as bad as Pavelec in recent years. Mason has only had one bad season in the last 4 or 5 years, while Pavelec has only had one good season in that time period, and two above average seasons in his entire career.
They just gave Cheveldayoff a contract extension a month ago. This will be his 7th season as Winnipeg's GM, and they have 0 playoff wins and have only made the playoffs once.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The Winnipeg situation is surprising to me. Is their goaltending that bad? They seem to have a very talented lineup. Is their coach calling Hynes for advice? I don’t get it. You’d think they’d be pretty good with that roster.

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
The Winnipeg situation is surprising to me. Is their goaltending that bad? They seem to have a very talented lineup. Is their coach calling Hynes for advice? I don’t get it. You’d think they’d be pretty good with that roster.

I feel like we've been saying that about the Jets for a while now.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Jets are the new Oilers, or the West Sabres for that matter. Laine's not enough, they need a McDavid to break through the loserdom mentality.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The big difference between him and Garth is that Garth kept his job for so long because the owner who employed him was a complete lunatic who knew nothing about hockey.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The Jets are the new Oilers, or the West Sabres for that matter. Laine's not enough, they need a McDavid to break through the loserdom mentality.
McDavid will change things sure, but you don't need a McDavid to win games. Jets are in the same boat as the Oilers were for years in that they have barely had any players drafted outside the first round make the NHL, and the couple that have aren't impact players. Any franchise can pick guys in the first round every year, especially as high as they have, and land good NHL players. Successful franchises pick and develop good NHL players throughout the draft. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Winnipeg_Jets_draft_picks

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I can't agree with this. In living memory we've had a run of playoff success, Winnipeg has never even had that. Also we realized that we had to clean house and did just that. The Jets refuse to do so.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I can't agree with this. In living memory we've had a run of playoff success, Winnipeg has never even had that. Also we realized that we had to clean house and did just that. The Jets refuse to do so.

I'm more referring to the last few years when we keep hearing how they're going to make the big jump with all these great young players and it never seems to happen. But yes the Panthers are a better comp for the Jets for longevity if you lump in the Thrasher era.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
They just gave Cheveldayoff a contract extension a month ago. This will be his 7th season as Winnipeg's GM, and they have 0 playoff wins and have only made the playoffs once.
Nothing pleases me more (other than a Devils win if course) than watching Winnipeg fail while Cheveldayoff is still their GM.

He is pure trash and it annoys me that he get some plaudits for the drafting of Schiefele, Trouba, Ehlers etc when the credit should go to the work of his scouts, which he inherited from Atlanta Thrashers organization.

Reactions: Bleedred

DerekDevils30

Feb 2, 2007
Manitoba
Jets roster is more than capable of being a playoff team. Paul Maurice should be on thin ice but the ownership/management group runs things like a country club. I will say the Mason signing was very questionable. He's a solid goalie but NOT the answer.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
sabremike,

youre delusional if you think any team or rather, fan claims playoff success when the team has never won the cup

playoff success means hoisting, no?

and to add, what of the blues 67 welcome in expansion and their "playoff success" for 3 seasons in a gift ride to the final

spare (at least me) a history of the sabres playoff success. it dosent exist

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Isn’t the Sabres owner passionate? If he is I’m sure the Sabres fortunes will improve.
He's definitely passionate, but you could call him meddling as well. The owner getting involved with hockey decisions isn't always a great thing.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Jets roster is more than capable of being a playoff team. Paul Maurice should be on thin ice but the ownership/management group runs things like a country club. I will say the Mason signing was very questionable. He's a solid goalie but NOT the answer.
I thought the signing was fine, if not just to ease Hellebuyck in. Hellebuyck is probably not ready to be a starter yet, but he probably should be a 1b and not a backup. I figured Mason would help ease him in.

It looks like Maurice is already preferring him. Maurice's head coaching career in the NHL has been made by BAD goaltending. Just like AV's career and reputation has been padded by some of the best goaltending. All Maurice knows is bad goaltending, so it's all he knows at this point, he'll probably play whoever is the worst. Just like when they recalled PavelSUCK last year and literally played him until he got injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad