News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I was looking at NHLsCap yesterday. I know Patrick Marleau is really old, but holy smokes I did not realize Toronto committed $18.75M to a 38-year old. That is insane. Especially when you have young players to pay.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I was looking at NHLsCap yesterday. I know Patrick Marleau is really old, but holy smokes I did not realize Toronto committed $18.75M to a 38-year old. That is insane. Especially when you have young players to pay.

Without knowing their Cap situation, they definitely pushed their chips into the center and advanced their rebuild once they saw how the 3 young studs played last year.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
No more Marek vs Wyshynski kind of sucks though. It was one of the only hockey podcasts I always enjoyed.

It will be interesting to see if he can stop himself from making political comments, or if he'll be the next one ESPN has to suspend.

You know how Lou loves him some NHL veterans. Marleau's a fitness guy though, so I don't think it's quite as risky as it appears just eyeballing it. If anything, maybe that 3rd year, but you could buy him out from 1 year if need be and it's not a total disaster.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Without knowing their Cap situation, they definitely pushed their chips into the center and advanced their rebuild once they saw how the 3 young studs played last year.

It will be interesting to see if he can stop himself from making political comments, or if he'll be the next one ESPN has to suspend.

You know how Lou loves him some NHL veterans. Marleau's a fitness guy though, so I don't think it's quite as risky as it appears just eyeballing it. If anything, maybe that 3rd year, but you could buy him out from 1 year if need be and it's not a total disaster.

I don't know. Just seems like a risky contract to add to their position of strength. I know you need to add vets to make a run, but that kind of contract just complicates things for them IMO. They're up against the cap with JVR, Bozak, and Komarov all UFA after this year. At least one of them probably goes in a trade.

I think a trade around Nylander for Werenski would make sense for both Toronto and Columbus, honestly. Although that still doesn't help the Leafs' immediate cap situation.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
I don't know. Just seems like a risky contract to add to their position of strength. I know you need to add vets to make a run, but that kind of contract just complicates things for them IMO. They're up against the cap with JVR, Bozak, and Komarov all UFA after this year. At least one of them probably goes in a trade.

I think a trade around Nylander for Werenski would make sense for both Toronto and Columbus, honestly. Although that still doesn't help the Leafs' immediate cap situation.

I think Bozak and JVR are both gone this offseason so that will free up a lot of cap but also make them lose some depth.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
I watched the Sabres - Sharks game last night and the Sabres looked slow and uninspired just like in the Devils game. Its almost as if they've quit on the team before the season has even started. We may be seeing a Johnny Mac situation over there.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Some clown on the mainboard is trying to argue with me that Dustin Brown doesn't have one of the worst contracts in the league.

LOL

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Some clown on the mainboard is trying to argue with me that Dustin Brown doesn't have one of the worst contracts in the league.

LOL

hes right, Brown doesnt have one of the worst contracts

he has THE worst contract

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

That's what I've been saying in that thread about ''Does Loui Eriksson have the worst contract in the league?''. I've tried to explain that last year was the first time in 4 seasons that Dustin Brown scored more than 28 points and that he's played at least 79 games all of those seasons. Loui Eriksson had his lowest point output since his rookie year, so unless that continues and Dustin Brown hits 30 points again, Brown will have the worst. Also assuming he isn't LTIR'd for some reason.

Someone else argued about how great Brown looks this year, because the last 87 games obviously mean more than the 230-ish before that?

And how all I'm looking at is points, but there is literally nothing good that Dustin Brown has consistently done over the last 4 seasons, outside of hitting (LOL). He's not a good defensive player, he doesn't pass the eye test, his advanced stats aren't anything special. What is he good at? Dat leadership? He captained 2 cup winners, one of them being back when he was still good and one other where he had a good playoffs, but wasn't all that good in the regular season that year?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I watched the Sabres - Sharks game last night and the Sabres looked slow and uninspired just like in the Devils game. Its almost as if they've quit on the team before the season has even started. We may be seeing a Johnny Mac situation over there.
That's what happens when the inmates run the asylum.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007

In his defense Brown for about four games this year looks like 2012 Dustin Brown, which is the last season he was actually any good :P

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Probably took the third year to lure him to sign. They figured they'd have two cheap years of Matthews/Marner, so they could splurge on Marleau. They have a decent amount of money coming off the cap this season: Bozak (4.2 mil), Komarov (2.95), Fehr (2). That should be enough to sign Nylander and then they can work with JVR. Early indication seems to be the cap going to 80+ mil next year as well.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
i wish merrill luck and for him to prove the doubters wrong, but if he fails, whatever

mfw us and the knights are 4-1 though. if you search NHL standings, both of us are at the top of our divisions :P

Reactions: Bleedred

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
Take a guess who played his first game for Vegas tonight.

The one and only Jon Merrill.

He was +1, 2 BS, 1 hit, and 1 SOG.

He got 17:05 of ice time.

If only he was still on the Devils we would be 5-0 instead of 4-1.

Would he have been playing for Zacha? :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad