News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
ya….its up the 417 a ways…. terrible spot.

17 odd miles from right downtown. (aka from all the bars and restaurants)

on a similar note calgary was working on a plan to build a new arena right on the west side of downtown on the bow river on some contaminated land (after its been cleaned)

would have been a great spot and would have involved a football stadium also if i recall correctly (edit: it would )…like a detroit kind of thing. looks like its fallen through
heres an artists rendition of it
calgarynext-arena-and-stadium-development.jpg

(fun fact: i worked on the emerald capped building in the foreground in my time there summer '14 so i know the city pretty well…this would be a solid place to put a sports complex, right off downtown, right on the c-line….sooooo close)

and this from 2 days ago: Francis: 150 million more reasons for Flames owners to sell

that is a nice arena and being that close to a river would be pretty nice in the spring if they ever made it deep in the playoffs. problem with this is the city doesn't want to pay a dime (which i dont blame them) and the owner doesn't want to pay x amount of his own money

Reactions: njdevils1982

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
but can they top dollar bill and harold the horrible? :scared:
Maybe not haha, but definitely in this generation, they're pretty bad.

Wang was pretty bad too, and gave Garth that brutal fireproof extension on his way out.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Maybe not haha, but definitely in this generation, they're pretty bad.

Wang was pretty bad too, and gave Garth that brutal fireproof extension on his way out.

lol I'd only heard it here from you, it wouldn't have surprised me that Wang did that but I didn't know it for sure till I googled Garth Snow contract and came across this piece from Arthur Staple:

Isles owners have big decisions to make

According to numerous sources around the league, he also has a contract with at least five more seasons on it, a parting gift of sorts from loyal former owner Charles Wang when he turned control of the team over to Malkin and Ledecky.

So guess it is at least 5+ years :laugh:

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017

If I was a player in Ottawa I'd be running out of the door at this rate.

why is everyone blasting this guy? everything he said is 100% true. the team was 1 game away from the finals and now no one is supporting them going to the games? they aren't a basement cap team either like he mentioned. $68 million is a lot of freaking money! some owners might be fine cutting a check and taking a loss and others aren't. not sure how i would feel either in this situation.

hes speaking 100% the truth which is refreshing and not some stupid watered down PC bull that is often said in these situations.

Reactions: Take Notes

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
why is everyone blasting this guy? everything he said is 100% true. the team was 1 game away from the finals and now no one is supporting them going to the games? they aren't a basement cap team either like he mentioned. $68 million is a lot of freaking money! some owners might be fine cutting a check and taking a loss and others aren't. not sure how i would feel either in this situation.

hes speaking 100% the truth which is refreshing and not some stupid watered down PC bull that is often said in these situations.

Because you dont throw your fans, personnel, and franchise under the bus like he is doing. It is very petty and unprofessional and will just make things worse.

Lindys Lazy Eye

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ

Yeah, hearing Melynk I'm hearing a no nonsense, passionate owner with a sense of urgency. I'm not understanding what the fuss is about.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
Because you dont throw your fans, personnel, and franchise under the bus like he is doing. It is very petty and unprofessional and will just make things worse.

so then pick the team up and move them if he can. if your customers aren't coming in for whatever reason (spending isn't one of them) 68 million out of 75 is a ton of money. then he has every right to call them out on it and if they dont respond then leave.

if he was a bottom basement salary team and was complaining about attendance then sure i can see a problem.

and he isn't throwing his players under any bus or anyone on the senator staff. hes throwing the fans notice either show up and support the team or we might bounce.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yeah, hearing Melynk I'm hearing a no nonsense, passionate owner with a sense of urgency. I'm not understanding what the fuss is about.

Picture Josh Harris saying the same things, then think of how this board would look.

If you're not making money sell the team. If you're not going to sell the team then pipe down and don't tick off or alarm the paying customers you do have.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
so then pick the team up and move them if he can. if your customers aren't coming in for whatever reason (spending isn't one of them) 68 million out of 75 is a ton of money. then he has every right to call them out on it and if they dont respond then leave.

if he was a bottom basement salary team and was complaining about attendance then sure i can see a problem.

and he isn't throwing his players under any bus or anyone on the senator staff. hes throwing the fans notice either show up and support the team or we might bounce.

It's not just about player payroll. You couldn't look at the payroll in the JVB years and just assume things were all right because they weren't in the bottom half of the league in player payroll when everything else was saying differently. It's also about little stuff like this:

It's just like the JVB recipe, spend just enough on players so people think you're trying and skimp/stiff everywhere and everyone else.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
The location of that rink is definitely a huge problem. It is such a hassle getting there and even worse to get back home. I really hope they can build an arena somewhere in town and keep the Sens in Ottawa. I really like this club... for visitors it's great... affordable tickets, interesting city with lots to see, an OHL team to attend when the Sens don't play.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
It's not just about payroll just like you couldn't look at the payroll in the JVB years and just assume things were all right when everything else was saying differently. It's also about little stuff like this:

here is my problem with this entire thing. THEY ARE SPENDING AT THE CAP * and then EK says he wants a max deal? so then the team will be OVER THE CAP and be forced to move pieces and make them less competitive. so what one is it? if they sign him to the 8 year 10 million that puts them at the cap and fulfill's EK's wish? everyone happy? fans will start showing up?

i agree if harris said that this board would be on meltdown but lets face it he has every right to. at some point he will maybe get tired of taking X millions loss a year for this team and can move shop or sell the team. we really have no say in any of it. and honestly it wont affect me rooting for the team or anything until they did move.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I can't believe there are people who take Melnyk's side

sheesh

sooooooooooooooooo what exactly do you think he should've done? said nothing and just sell off everyone to become a bottom basement cap team? i mean the guy is spending money and no one is supporting the team there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->