News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
We lost 4 of our top 5 scorers in a year span. No team recovers or can replace that type of loss overnight. Doesn't matter who the players were either, it is still production that somehow has to be replaced. That's what got us where we are today and caused much of the struggles we've seen from 2013 on.

of course that plays into it, but having literally NO ONE to replace those guys is certainly why we were that bad for 4-5 years there. You can't blame Parise leaving in 2012 for being bad in 16-17, as an example.

We don't need to go round and round with this again, though.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Lou gave up picks for years. Guess what happened

Lou gave up picks for garbage players and his staff swung and missed more often then not with the picks we did keep.

Handing over potential and two roster players for one of the best blueliners in the game isn't the same thing at all.

Having Karlsson on the back end would put this team on the same level as the Lightning and the Pens in the East IMO and would springboard our rebuild twice as fast. The fact that we'd still have McLeod as a safety net for our missing center spot is another bonus cause having Zajac as our 3rd line center would be ideal.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lou gave up picks for years. Guess what happened

Twenty years of being competitive? Lou giving up picks wasn’t a problem. Bergfors, Tedenby, Corrente, Matteau, Josefson...that was a far bigger problem.

But this is ATL, not the team thread...let’s not veer down the rabbit hole.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Twenty years of being competitive? Lou giving up picks wasn’t a problem. Bergfors, Tedenby, Corrente, Matteau, Josefson...that was a far bigger problem.

But this is ATL, not the team thread...let’s not veer down the rabbit hole.
Giving up picks definitely wasn't the problem, terrible drafting was. Not just the first rounders we did have either, from top to bottom we drafted poorly for about a decade.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
or Butcher and Mcleod would be something they'd ask for. It would be a dick move to trade Butcher though after he chose the Devils tho

Then again do these upcoming UFA trades ever net as big as a return as people expect? Though Karlsson still has 1 more year left after this one

the longer they wait to move him the less the return will be. no one is going to sell the farm to get a guy for 1 year and then lose him to UFA since not many "cup" teams can afford to sign him and his 10+ million a year. knowing this type of contract is waiting in a year+ time i really dont think the return for him is going to be as massive as many people think. if they moved him like 2 years ago then yeah absolutely he would command a big return.

also there will be competition for d men

oliver doughty and karllson all hit UFA next summer.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Karlsson seems like the kind of player that's career might end earlier than he'd like it to, due to injuries.

I'm not saying he's definitely going to, but out of all the really good players in the league, I could see injuries taking him out of the game by 35 or so. With a few of the season leading up to that, being on and off IR for long period's of time.

About 5-6 years ago, I did feel like Crosby might take a similar path to Neely and Lindros, and be forced out of the game by injuries/concussions, by the time he was 32-35, but it doesn't look like that's gonna be the case at all. So maybe Karlsson won't either, but he just reeks too much of a guy that's gonna be in and out of the lineup with injuries for his still effective years.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Rags can pull off a trade for EK.

Brady Skei, Kreider and Nash for EK and Ryan

I don't know why you seem to think that the Rangers can do no wrong while you second guess every one of our moves but that proposal is the opposite of what Ottawa should be looking for.

You have basically no youth going their way, Nash is a pending UFA and Kreider will turn UFA in 2 years.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I don't know why you seem to think that the Rangers can do no wrong while you second guess every one of our moves but that proposal is the opposite of what Ottawa should be looking for.

You have basically no youth going their way, Nash is a pending UFA and Kreider will turn UFA in 2 years.

Skei is 23
Kreider 26

Ryan is 30
EK is 27

Nash just balances out the books and Senzzz don't really sign him.

Go ahead and thrown in a 2nd rounder.

Look, Sezzz are not going to get what they want if EK requests a trade.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
while i agree the sens aren't going to get the moon for EK they will def get a decent return. a 1st and 2nd is mandatory in any trade

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Skei is 23
Kreider 26

Ryan is 30
EK is 27

Nash just balances out the books and Senzzz don't really sign him.

Go ahead and thrown in a 2nd rounder.

Look, Sezzz are not going to get what they want if EK requests a trade.

They aren't trading Karlsson for someone who's 2 years away from free agency and someone who's a free agent at the end of the year. We and about 29 other teams can beat that package.

A rebuilding team would want youngsters who are cost controlled or signed to LT deals who are currently playing in the NHL and picks.

Your offer doesn't include any of that.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Senzzz fans are not happy with their ownership and now are worried about their franchise player EK.

Only 13,212 announced last night vs the Rags, in Canada mind you.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
yeah i dont get it why isn't ottawa a big draw? all the other teams up there draw constantly good right? is the arena out in the burbs or something?

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Still cannot believe how quickly the wheels have fallen off in Ottawa. They were not the best team in the world but they had a solid, hard working club before that trade.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
yeah i dont get it why isn't ottawa a big draw? all the other teams up there draw constantly good right? is the arena out in the burbs or something?

ya….its up the 417 a ways…. terrible spot.

17 odd miles from right downtown. (aka from all the bars and restaurants)

on a similar note calgary was working on a plan to build a new arena right on the west side of downtown on the bow river on some contaminated land (after its been cleaned)

would have been a great spot and would have involved a football stadium also if i recall correctly (edit: it would )…like a detroit kind of thing. looks like its fallen through
heres an artists rendition of it
calgarynext-arena-and-stadium-development.jpg

(fun fact: i worked on the emerald capped building in the foreground in my time there summer '14 so i know the city pretty well…this would be a solid place to put a sports complex, right off downtown, right on the c-line….sooooo close)

and this from 2 days ago: Francis: 150 million more reasons for Flames owners to sell

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad