News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Speaking of expansion teams, Custance's podcast had a long time Blue Jackets beat writer on a while back and apparently the other finalist for the name back when they came in was the Columbus Justice.

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
Sens asking karlsson and others to submit their no trade list. If he hits UFA, I would let him write his own check. The package to get him would prolly be insurmountable. But I dream of somehow seeing him in a devils uniform.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
I guess the good thing about that is I think the devils wouldn’t be one of his teams on the no trade list. One of the devils rhd would be going back in a trade like that. The question is can the devils give a massive package for Karlsson and re-sign him for 10m+ without completely stripping the team. It’d be some hard work for Shero to say the least

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
You'd have to 'start' with Severson and Zacha (assuming Nico and Bratt are non-starters) and throw in a lot after that.

NJ07102

Apr 15, 2012
Germany
I guess the good thing about that is I think the devils wouldn’t be one of his teams on the no trade list. One of the devils rhd would be going back in a trade like that. The question is can the devils give a massive package for Karlsson and re-sign him for 10m+ without completely stripping the team. It’d be some hard work for Shero to say the least

Karlsson will be a Ranger one day, you can bet on that. In the tradition of Dionne, Messier, Gomez and Shattenkirk.

Darkauron

Jul 14, 2011
South Jersey
So Ottawa seems like it is going on a firesale if the rumors are true. Cant see Karlsson wanting to stay if that is true. I would love to get someone like Hoffman off of them.

Reactions: OmNomNom

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
You'd have to 'start' with Severson and Zacha (assuming Nico and Bratt are non-starters) and throw in a lot after that.
or Butcher and Mcleod would be something they'd ask for. It would be a dick move to trade Butcher though after he chose the Devils tho

Then again do these upcoming UFA trades ever net as big as a return as people expect? Though Karlsson still has 1 more year left after this one

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Do not want Karlsson. Way too much $$$ to tie-up in one defenseman, assuming the rumors are true (if the rumors are false, then I change my opinion entirely).

Same. I saw that EJ fantasy trade suggestion. Giving up all that plus signing him to an insane contract? Yes he is amazing but that is just too much for one player.

Doughty pretty much confirmed both he and EK are looking for a bigger contract then Subban’s $9 million per year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Wasn’t sure if it was mentioned but Russia will be letting its athletes attend the Olympics under a neutral banner, so the hockey team will be there and still most likely the favorites.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
or Butcher and Mcleod would be something they'd ask for. It would be a dick move to trade Butcher though after he chose the Devils tho

Then again do these upcoming UFA trades ever net as big as a return as people expect? Though Karlsson still has 1 more year left after this one

Wasn’t Yandle an upcoming free agent when the Rags traded for him? He got a pretty good return for a rather meh player.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Do not want Karlsson. Way too much $$$ to tie-up in one defenseman, assuming the rumors are true (if the rumors are false, then I change my opinion entirely).

not sure how anyone could have this opinion in general

You could argue you dont want him for what we'd have to give up. But not wanting him because of his $$? Thats insane. Hes a top 5 player in the league and we're swimming in cap space.

Reactions: Taylor Hall

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
I'd give up Severson + Zacha + 2018 1st + 2019 1st for Karlsson +2019 2nd in a hearbeat.

We'd be getting a top #5 d-men who can generate offense from the back end like no other and a pretty high 2nd rounder in 2019 for a potential #2 in Severson cause he isn't there yet, a kid who has the tools but needs a change of scenery ASAP in Zacha and picks.

We'd lose alot of future but with the draft we just had last year and all the flourishing youngsters on our current roster, that's a risk I'd take anytime. You can't add top end talent without paying the price and we'd be basically flipping on our current roster Severson + Zacha for Karlsson + Quenneville.

McLeod can come in next year and do what Zacha has been giving us, and then some, as our #2/#3 center.

tr83

Nope, still embarassed
Oct 14, 2013
Jersey Shore
I'd give up Severson + Zacha + 2018 1st + 2019 1st for Karlsson +2019 2nd in a hearbeat.

We'd be getting a top #5 d-men who can generate offense from the back end like no other and a pretty high 2nd rounder in 2019 for a potential #2 in Severson cause he isn't there yet, a kid who has the tools but needs a change of scenery ASAP in Zacha and picks.

We'd lose alot of future but with the draft we just had last year and all the flourishing youngsters on our current roster, that's a risk I'd take anytime. You can't add top end talent without paying the price and we'd be basically flipping on our current roster Severson + Zacha for Karlsson + Quenneville.

McLeod can come in next year and do what Zacha has been giving us, and then some, as our #2/#3 center.

Lou gave up picks for years. Guess what happened

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
Lou gave up picks for years. Guess what happened

We lost 4 of our top 5 scorers in a year span. No team recovers or can replace that type of loss overnight. Doesn't matter who the players were either, it is still production that somehow has to be replaced. That's what got us where we are today and caused much of the struggles we've seen from 2013 on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad