News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
You have to wonder how long AV's leash is with the Rags. The talent on their team is far, far better than what their record indicates. You can't tell me Gorton is fine with the status quo. Hank only has so many years left.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Lundqvist has 0 "years left" being an elite goaltender. It's over, nobody listens to techno.

7 Games played
3.15 GAA
.905 SVP

His elite status is toast, and I'd argue it has been for a calendar year. He's still a good goaltender though, and it's been NYR's mission to win a Cup with him in net. That window is closing fast. Inaction with AV would slam it shut.

What a mess.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
All fans and even writers make believe that their most recent acquisitions are working out magnificently. Even when it is glaring not true. I don't know about Girardi in Tampa but he couldn't skate and was a pylon in New York. I highly doubt his legs have magically been rejuvenated.

i would never say he is a phenomenal or great defenseman...but i wasted a lot of time this summer explaining that he wasn’t the worst, especially at $1M/year or whatever. totally agree that a team would never say ‘yeah he sucks, we regret signing him’ but he’s playing well enough for the coaching staff, fans, and the eye test (from what i’ve seen, which admittedly isn’t a lot).

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Kerfoot has 3 goals and 2 assists so far.

I knew he would be an effective forward.

To those here who said he'd never make it in the NHL, you were wrong.

I don't blame Ray since he did try to sign him.

We will be fine without him anyway but he's having a good start to his career.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Have to give him credit. He is doing well with Colorado, and their fans seem very happy with him.

I still look at it like a trade and I’m fine with Butcher for Kerfoot

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Good for him but those have been some wild goals. Puck bounces off him and pops in the air into the net, goalie goes to play the puck behind the net but it takes an angled bounce off the board and he taps it in the empty net.

BahlDeep

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal
Anyone throwing 9-10 millions on a goaltender is a stupid idiot. Yes, as good as Price is, it's a dumb decision.

Goaltender can only do so much to win, paying him 10 million a year is a waste of cap space and resources. Montreal would've been better off trading Carey for a huge return. They would be a better team with the assets that Price would've fetched than with Price on the team.

If anyone disagree, I'll fight you

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Didn't realize Kerfoot has so many points. Also don't blame him for not signing here. He would've had a hard time cracking the lineup.

That Price contract is an aircraft carrier-sized boat anchor. Worst time for a team that needs a rebuild, too.

Scorcho

Twitter @AmateurAdult11
Apr 16, 2010
Space
Didn't realize Kerfoot has so many points. Also don't blame him for not signing here. He would've had a hard time cracking the lineup.

That Price contract is an aircraft carrier-sized boat anchor. Worst time for a team that needs a rebuild, too.

yeah avalancHE are the opposite of us, except its because theyre forcing subpar rookies to play day

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Vesey started off last year really hot too, then he ended the year with 27 points in 80 games. He had 5 points in his first 8 games, then 9 points in his first 10 games. He had 8 points in his last 40 games of the season. He has just 2 points in 9 games this season, both of them coming just yesterday in his 9th game of the season.

Looks like Pittsburgh just traded for Riley Sheahan. Maybe he'll score 100% of his total goals this year against us, in the same game, just like last year?:shakehead

Bologna 1

Aug 5, 2006
When does Pittsburgh realize they need a backup goalie? They can't really keep tossing niemi out there can they? That's a guaranteed loss essentially, bc you already know he's prolly giving up 5+. I knew he was bad, but no idea he was as awful as he's been. 7.50 GAA & .797 SV%, yikes.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
When does Pittsburgh realize they need a backup goalie? They can't really keep tossing niemi out there can they? That's a guaranteed loss essentially, bc you already know he's prolly giving up 5+. I knew he was bad, but no idea he was as awful as he's been. 7.50 GAA & .797 SV%, yikes.
Just give him a couple more games, and I think he can get that save percentage up to about .850 and maybe get that GAA down to 5.00 per game.:laugh:

I figured he might be on waivers this morning, but he wasn't.

Lou and the Leafs sign Polak. I see Lou still loves his grenade handling defensemen, who can't skate, have no skills, and can't do anything but stay trapped in their D-zone and block a few shots. I wouldn't be surprised if Helgeson was an every night defenseman or at the very least, on the full time roster, if Lou were still here.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
To be fair, it's not like Niemi was the cause of the Tampa blowout. Tampa was simply the much better team. Not having Crosby for the first 13 or so minutes doesn't help much either.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
To be fair, it's not like Niemi was the cause of the Tampa blowout. Tampa was simply the much better team. Not having Crosby for the first 13 or so minutes doesn't help much either.
Cause of the loss? No. They only scored one goal. Cause of the blowout? Absolutely.

Goal 1 was a soft goal, don't care about Kucherov being the shooter, that was a stoppable goal. Short side, looked like it even hit his glove (just like Kucherov's goal on Cory the other). It's not a good goal. That's a clean shot and if he was screened by that, it's his fault for being screened by something so questionable. Not doing a good enough job working through the screen.

Goal number 2 was a backdoor goal. Couldn't really do much there, outside of be lucky or make one of the greatest saves you'll see all week. He could have blocked the pass from reaching the backdoor, but I won't ding him on that one.

Goal 3 hits his glove, rebound comes to the shooter right in front. That probably should have stayed in his glove, even though there was a guy right in front. I can't not ding him on this goal though, it's another stoppable goal.

Goal 4 he had no chance on.

Can't figure out if goal 5 slightly deflected or not. It was absolutely pathetic if it didn't.

Goal 6 was pathetic, get the f*** outta here, giving up that weak ass. That was as weak as it gets.

So that's at least 3 bad goals out of 7 total allowed, maybe 4 bad goals, if that fifth goal didn't deflect off the Pens skater who tried to block it.

I didn't see anything from his second game, but he allowed 4 goals on 12 or 13 shots in his first game, and 2-3 were bad goals that night too. So that's close to 75% allowed, are ones that should be stopped. Not good enough. You're not gonna stay in game with that kind of goaltending. The eye test completely corroborates with the stats test on this one. Niemi is either finished, or has just played 3 really bad games. If he hadn't been so completely lousy last year, I might have given this stretch the benefit of the doubt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad