News and Notes XXII: Now With More Finnish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Francis on Carolina's mediocre start: 'At the end of the day, it's about getting results'

TL:DR - Francis is frustrated with how the team is performing, whether it's not converting chances or not get saves.

Also thought this was funny, considering the constant accusation on this board:

And while some may wonder – or even doubt – that the Canes would be willing to make roster moves, Francis said he's open to anything that would improve the team.
"Yeah, it's not like I'm sitting here on my hands saying, 'Everything is great,'" he said. "You're constantly working the phone lines and talking to teams and what they're looking to do and what they're looking for. When you look at the standings, there are so many teams that are in the same predicament, guys are a little hesitant at this point to do things."

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Lately, I've been focusing on Skinner's ability to receive a pass, and it's been an unpleasant realization to note how many times I hear Forslund say "on and off his stick". I'm not ready to say the kid has lost his focus, but certainly I've noted that his basic play is far from 100% right now.

StormCast

Jan 26, 2008
Raleigh, NC
Lately, I've been focusing on Skinner's ability to receive a pass, and it's been an unpleasant realization to note how many times I hear Forslund say "on and off his stick". I'm not ready to say the kid has lost his focus, but certainly I've noted that his basic play is far from 100% right now.
Same here. Like a WR looking to make a move downfield before he catches the ball. You can almost see Skinner start to open his blades before he has possession.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
So out of the whole metro the Canes have had to play the most teams in playoff position and the most road games so far. We're 3 pts out of a playoff spot with a game in hand, not terrible.

Hopefully this means our schedule gets easier going forward and we can capitalize on it.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
So out of the whole metro the Canes have had to play the most teams in playoff position and the most road games so far. We're 3 pts out of a playoff spot with a game in hand, not terrible.

Hopefully this means our schedule gets easier going forward and we can capitalize on it.

Deep down you know that’s not going to happen.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
debbie-downer.jpg

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid

Yeah but it seems like every time I look up the standings, a Metro team above us is either gaining points through wins or OT/SO losses. I mean Philadelphia did have a long losing streak but then they went on a winning streak to sneak ahead of us.

It's going to take this team finding another gear.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia

We will have A LOT of games vs metro teams now- all Pens, Philly, Devils, Caps games, plus some Rangers and Isles games
These games will decide what will happen in the end

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Damn of course I looked so hard and in the end it was me who wasn't thinking. Oh well, made a fool out of myself, just another day.

Anyway, wanted to say Peters said Stempniak would likely be back by the new year after the buffalo game

Back to skating at least. I wouldn’t expect to see him in an NHL game until at least mid January.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
If you’re into comparing this year to last, an interesting stretch of games are coming up. Prior to tonight’s game, the Hurricanes had an identical 16-12-7 record through 35 games both years. Last year, they lost game 36, 37, then beat STL in game 38 (the opponent in game 38 this year, as well). They got our hopes up winning 5 of 6 (4 straight), then pissed us right off by losing 5 straight.

It will be interesting to see if they can remain consistent as they finish up the first half of this season and start into the second. Last year, the Canes had 49 points after game 43 (after that 4-game win streak), nearly meeting the 6-points-every-5-games standard. It feels weird to hope that we can be only marginally better through game 43 this year, but they are two points ahead of last year’s pace and we can tell ourselves they will not repeat the 5-game slide this year.

Anyway, I thought it was interesting to note the reality of the current situation, giving an outlook that is both positive and negative simultaneously.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
As @Anton Dubinchuk said, our next 8 games will be brutal, so many games vs Pens and Caps... If we want to make playoffs, we have to go at least 4-3-1 or something like that.

That said, if we do end up 4-3-1, we can at least rest easy knowing that this is a team that belongs in the conversation.

For reference, the next 8 games are:

3 games against Washington
2 games against Pittsburgh
St Louis
Boston
Tampa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad