News and Notes XXII: Now With More Finnish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Corey Pronman on the canes prospects

"Carolina Hurricanes: I’ve generally liked what Carolina has done at the draft table the past few years, including their first-round pick from 2017, Martin Necas, who looked dynamic at the Canes' camp and early on this season in the Czech Republic. The Canes have generally drafted high upside players and gotten value from a lot of picks. I’m saying all this to soften the blow because I don’t know what was going on with their 2017 second-round picks, center Eetu Luostarinen and defenseman Luke Martin. I saw Martin live and Luostarinen on video a few times these past few weeks, and I fail to see why such a valuable investment was made in them. Martin’s offensive upside is quite low, even if he skates and defends fine. Luostarinen also skates and handles the puck fine for his size, but there is a lack of a wow factor to him."

I was just reading recently that Luke Martin has been a stand-out at Michigan this year. 6'4", 220 lbs RHD doesn't have to be an offensive wizard. If he can become another Brett Pesce then that is a win.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
You know how we make fun of the facebook commenters? Might want to take a glance at who showed up in the comments here.

I saw this haha, that's some bad weather in the comments section!

Also making fun of the Facebook commenters. There's a guy out their on FB claiming Pesce sucks and needs to be sent to the AHL asap. He's even backed up his statement with that he played hockey for so and so long, so he knows hockey.

On another note Pesce nore Slavin actually haven't been that elite this season. But not bad enough to be demoted to the AHL lmao. But what is up with them? Both are -5 on the season.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I don't know what's up with Pesce and Slavin, but the fact that we're even mediocre with three of our top four dmen underperforming, and a goalie that's developed the yips in the last few weeks is better than I would have expected.

I'm sure all the dmen will be fine, just normal growing pains and slumps. But we really might take off if they get it together.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't think they're underperforming. They are continually asked to do the hardest job and they aren't a secret anymore. No forward is surprised by either one. Neither are skilled to an elite level. They work hard and were/are a supreme upgrade defensively on what we've had before. Pesce is no all star and Slavin is just a really good two way guy. I don't see how they were ever going to maintain what they've done so far all the time.

Just because we've been playing them as a top pairing out of necessity doesn't mean they're actually elite. They're the best we have and the best we've had in a long time. The league has figured them out a bit and you can only play on adrenaline for so long. We grind the hell out of these two. I'm generally still amazed they exist as they do for us.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I don't think they're underperforming. They are continually asked to do the hardest job and they aren't a secret anymore. No forward is surprised by either one. Neither are skilled to an elite level. They work hard and were/are a supreme upgrade defensively on what we've had before. Pesce is no all star and Slavin is just a really good two way guy. I don't see how they were ever going to maintain what they've done so far all the time.

Just because we've been playing them as a top pairing out of necessity doesn't mean they're actually elite. They're the best we have and the best we've had in a long time. The league has figured them out a bit and you can only play on adrenaline for so long. We grind the hell out of these two. I'm generally still amazed they exist as they do for us.

Not that I disagree with you, but I have to wonder why the league hasn't "figured out" the Devils or Knights D corps...

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

I agree to some extent, but not completely. Part of it is what you said, but I also have seen more uncharacteristic mistakes, particularly from Slavin, that he wasn't making last year. That part isn't the league figuring them out.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I agree to some extent, but not completely. Part of it is what you said, but I also have seen more uncharacteristic mistakes, particularly from Slavin, that he wasn't making last year. That part isn't the league figuring them out.
Yeah I disagree with bleedgreen. The beauty of Slavin is his simple but highly efficient game, and Pesce thrives as his (not as good) sidekick. Lately, I've seen more Slavin blunders in a span of a handful of games than all of last year. That means Pesce has to somewhat up his game, and although he's a very good player, this might be new territory for him, and that too will come with mistakes.

But back to Slavin. The guy he left open to slam home Florida's second goal the other night, he NEVER does that. He was just staring at the point man shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->