News and Notes XXII: Now With More Finnish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
It's very likely going to come back to bite you if you talk about points for Marner/Nylander vs. Aho.

Why? What are they gonna do, troll us or something? They already do that **** anyway. We've missed the playoffs 9 straight years, they think we don't know jack or **** about hockey. What the hell could we possibly have to lose?

Unsustainable

Bunch of Jerks
Apr 14, 2012
Charlotte, NC
It's very likely going to come back to bite you if you talk about points for Marner/Nylander vs. Aho. The Leafs are a very high scoring team and have a lethal PP so those guys are more than likely going to score more than Aho even if everything else was equal. Matthews is a beast out there, the team is very deep offensively and they play a much "run and gun" style. Marner will get a lot of assists on that team and Nylander has been a bit snake bitten when it comes to goals which will even out over time.

I'm not saying they aren't very talented players in their own right, but the environment they are in is more conducive to scoring.

Leafs sympathizer

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Hello guys! Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I need to ask, realistically what kind of upside does Aho have? 60pts, 70pts, sky is the limit?

I don’t get to watch much Canes hockey so I’m curious if he’s another Gaudreau or just on a hot streak.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hello guys! Sorry if this is the wrong thread but I need to ask, realistically what kind of upside does Aho have? 60pts, 70pts, sky is the limit?

I don’t get to watch much Canes hockey so I’m curious if he’s another Gaudreau or just on a hot streak.

60-70 point upside: yes

Another Gaudreau: no, different players. Popular comparison for Aho is that he’s more of a Zetterberg (the organization expects to move him to center).

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015

I'm almost expecting him to become a perennial 55-60pt guy. I'd be surprised if he doesn't become that. As he looks like one today.

But I think him becoming a 70-80pt guy shouldn't be out of the question at all. He's such an intelligent and skilled player, his potential upside could definitely be exactly this.

Add in he's a very strong two way player. He's a guy you can rely on in both the offensive and defensive zones.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Thanks guys! I feel like he’s probably on par with an Ehlers or Pastrnak, but I really appreciate the insight. You guys have an awesome team, I’m excited to watch from afar how you’re trending. I think you’ll be a top team in the East for a lot years, just need a stud netminder. The defence you have is amazing and not fun to face.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Canes have had 1 single 50+ point player for the last 3 seasons:

14/15: Staal with 51
15/16: Skinner with 51
16/17: Skinner with 63

With Aho scoring 49 as a rookie, I don't think it's a stretch to say he has potential to hit 55-60 points. IMO, to get beyond that though, requires a team that can put the puck in the net at a rate much higher than what the Canes have shown the past 3 years, particularly since Aho isn't playing with the Canes best goal scorer (Skinner). They have improved recently, but are still in the bottom half of the league in GF / GP and near the bottom in PP%. Also, if/when the Canes move Aho to center (which is by no means a given, especially with Necas being drafted), it will be interesting to see if the increased responsibilities of that role impacts his production.

Still, a fantastic player who has consistently exceeded my expectations.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
It's very likely going to come back to bite you if you talk about points for Marner/Nylander vs. Aho. The Leafs are a very high scoring team and have a lethal PP so those guys are more than likely going to score more than Aho even if everything else was equal. Matthews is a beast out there, the team is very deep offensively and they play a much "run and gun" style. Marner will get a lot of assists on that team and Nylander has been a bit snake bitten when it comes to goals which will even out over time.

I'm not saying they aren't very talented players in their own right, but the environment they are in is more conducive to scoring.

We're not saying Aho will outscore them, our whole argument was Marner isn't on another tier than Aho

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
On that note we currently have 5 guys on pace for 50+ points this season. TT, Aho, Staal, Williams, & Skinner

Yep, if ever there was a Peter's team with more than 1, this would be it, but they have to do it for a full season. Staal (49.2) and Lindy (51.2) had a pace that was at/close to 50 last year but missed some games due to injury so didn't hit it. Injuries will likely happen to some players again this year.

Honestly, I would be very disappointed if we only have 1 50 point player again this year.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Not to be a B̶o̶o̶m̶ ̶B̶o̶o̶m̶ wet blanket, but here's something to keep in mind: this time last year, the Hurricanes rolled off 5 straight wins to recover to an 8-6-4 record. They then proceeded to get 3 points out of the next 12 and it was pretty much all over at that point. These next 3 home games are pretty important, it would seem.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
to be a B̶o̶o̶m̶ ̶B̶o̶o̶m̶ wet blanket, but here's something to keep in mind: this time last year, the Hurricanes rolled off 5 straight wins to recover to an 8-6-4 record. They then proceeded to get 3 points out of the next 12 and it was pretty much all over at that point. These next 3 home games are pretty important, it would seem.

FTFY

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
Super important. Not sure the exact stats but sitting in a playoff spot at Thanksgiving is a huge predictor of making the playoffs at the end of the season. Win tomorrow and we'll have one Thanksgiving morning

EDIT: Didn't realize NYI and WSH both played that night also. Win tomorrow and we MAY have one Thanksgiving morning

I think last year about 75% of the teams in at Thanksgiving got in

edit: maybe higher but I think i remember hearing somebody say about 75% on a podcast or on the radio

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Not to be a B̶o̶o̶m̶ ̶B̶o̶o̶m̶ wet blanket, but here's something to keep in mind: this time last year, the Hurricanes rolled off 5 straight wins to recover to an 8-6-4 record. They then proceeded to get 3 points out of the next 12 and it was pretty much all over at that point. These next 3 home games are pretty important, it would seem.

Hey now! I resemble that remark.

I prefer to view it as being grounded in reality. ;)

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
I hear ya, but there has to be some allowance for a disproportionate number of games played. CAR would need to get 2 points in 3 games in hand to surpass WSH, and that doesn't seem like a stretch.

Just go by pts percentage. We're 6th in the conference in pts percentage and goal differential by my count.

Last edited:
May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
Corey Pronman on the canes prospects

"Carolina Hurricanes: I’ve generally liked what Carolina has done at the draft table the past few years, including their first-round pick from 2017, Martin Necas, who looked dynamic at the Canes' camp and early on this season in the Czech Republic. The Canes have generally drafted high upside players and gotten value from a lot of picks. I’m saying all this to soften the blow because I don’t know what was going on with their 2017 second-round picks, center Eetu Luostarinen and defenseman Luke Martin. I saw Martin live and Luostarinen on video a few times these past few weeks, and I fail to see why such a valuable investment was made in them. Martin’s offensive upside is quite low, even if he skates and defends fine. Luostarinen also skates and handles the puck fine for his size, but there is a lack of a wow factor to him."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->