NHL Entry Draft: NewDimension's Post-WJC Mock Draft for January

newdimension

May 18, 2013
NOTES:

Now that the World Juniors is over and it's a new month, I thought I'd update this.

- I'll go with 2 rounds.

-The draft order is determined by the standings as of December 6th, using the playoff formula, with teams currently slotted into the playoffs drafting later the non-playoff teams, along with divisional and conference winners at the end of the draft.

- I'm predicting a Tampa/Washington conference final in the east and a Los Angeles/Nashville final in the east, with Tampa Bay beating Nashville for the Cup.

- I'm not a scout of anything. This is all for fun. When I make a comparison to another player, it's all loosely based. Obviously not everyone is going to live up to their comparison, or even make the league.

- As for the lottery, I used NHL Lottery Simulator - NHL Draft Odds and got the following:

1. Ottawa
2. Buffalo
3. Philadelphia

Round 1

1. Ottawa: Rasmus Dahlin, D
In my scenario, the Sens win the lottery, which would definitely be great in upping the expectations of Erik Karlsson sticking around. Adding Rasmus Dahlin, with Karlsson as a mentor, would be amazing for them. The only way Dahlin isn't number one in June is if something completely disastrous happens, like a severe, career-ending injury... or he wakes up with no legs tomorrow or something.
Comparison: It's hard to nail down one specific comparable for him. In some ways, he reminds me of Jay Bouwmeester when he was first coming into the league, along with the same hype. There's a similar skillset... however, of course, Bouwmeester, while a great NHL'er, didn't ultimately live up to his hype. Personally, I think Dahlin could be like a Scott Niedermayer type. He has the skating, smarts, two-way play and can be considered the total package type of defenseman.

2. Buffalo: Adam Boqvist, D
Do I think Boqvist is going to go over Zadina or Svechnikov in the draft? Not necessarily. However, Buffalo's in a position where they need to take the best defenseman available. Dahlin isn't there, so they'll have to go with Boqvist. They could be in a situation where they could trade back a few spots in order to grab him, especially if a team really wants a Svechnikov or Zadina.
Comparison: Erik Karlsson is the name thrown about for him.

3. Philadelphia: Andrei Svechnikov, RW
I have Svechnikov and then Zadina as #2 and #3 on my list. They only dip a spot because of prior reasoning. The Flyers could go either/or in this slot, after they make another miracle jump with the lottery. The Flyers have some Russians in their system, so I don't see them shying away from him because of that, so it seems like a good fit. Plus with Voracek on the right side, it'd allow Svechnikov to come into the league and be slotted against easier competition, making it a smoother transition.
Comparison: In terms of all-out offensive potential, Ilya Kovalchuk.

4. Arizona: Filip Zadina, RW/LW
The Coyotes's best bet is to take the best player available and run with him. I think they'd have him play on the right side, opposite of Clayton Keller, which could be a deadly combo for offense.
Comparison: If he can get his two-way play up to speed, I honestly feel he can be very Marian Hossa-like. He's the great shot, smarts and IQ and his defense is coming along fine enough. If not, maybe a Filip Forsberg or Thomas Vanek type of offensive winger that can drive a line and score goals.

5. Vancouver: Brady Tkachuk, LW
Rumor has it that they were high on his brother a few year's back. This time, they get a do-over and take Brady, who some think could be even better than Matthew. His excellent WJC gets him into the top 5 discussion. He could give insulation to forwards such as Pettersson and Boeser in the future.
Comparison: Sort of a Corey Perry-Scott Hartnell type of crash/bang power forward, but with slightly better skating. Similar to his brother in a lot of ways.

6. Montreal: Oliver Wahlstrom, RW/C
I'll preface this by saying I'm a Habs fan. They need scoring badly, so a guy such as Oliver Wahlstrom could be a target for them -- and maybe they would pick him. That said, I could see a guy such as Noah Dobson being high on their scouting staff's list, as well. I think their drafting strategy will depend on how things will go with Pacioretty and his return. If they can get another first, or some good scoring forwards in return for him, they'll be more inclined to go with Dobson. If they're able to get a high quality defenseman in return for him, then they might go for a goal scorer such as Wahlstrom. For now, I'll have them take the highly offensive forward that puts a lot of pucks on and in the net. The Habs picked American forward, Ryan Poehling, last year, so it'd be no surprise to see them go back to the American developmental systems again.
Comparison: I think he's sort of a Vladimir Tarasenko/Brock Boeser type of project. As in a pure goal scorer, which is something the Habs definitely need.

7. Edmonton: Noah Dobson, D
The Oilers probably don't "need" another defenseman; but a right-shooting defender with great two-way ability such as Dobson would be a solid pickup for them. I know they need left wingers, but Dobson's a potential #1 defenseman and it's just something that can't be passed on for Chiarelli and company. My idea is they take Dobson now, then load up on offensive wingers with the rest of their picks.
Comparison: Alex Pietrangelo. A smart, safe, two-way presence that can takeover games and smooth everything down.

8. Florida: Quinn Hughes, D
Even after a good showing at the World Juniors, I think his lack of size will knock him out of the top 5. He's a Florida-born kid, which makes it appealing to the Panthers, who'd see a future of him playing alongside Ekblad, which could be a dangerous pairing in the future.
Comparison: For me, he reminds me of a young Dan Boyle: not a huge defender and what he lacks in size, he makes up for in offensive skill and the ability to rush with the puck.

9. Detroit: Barrett Hayton, C
I think he could be this year's Lias Andersson, in that he goes higher than projected. The fact that he's a center prospect could propel him up the board, especially to a team looking in that direction. Secondly, the Red Wings love to draft out of the OHL and they could feel he's a top 6 center prospect.
Comparison: Bryan Little. I see him as a two-way top 6 center that can play against tough compeition, but also put up points, likely settling in as a #2 center.

10. New York Islanders: Evan Bouchard, D
The Isles have been completely free-falling lately. They need to do some work on their defense and Bouchard's breakthrough this season has him climbing up the rankings. He's a big shooting right-handed defender than puts a lot of shots on net and could be paired with Leddy in the future to form a nice unit.
Comparison: John Carlson. He's still a little raw, like when Carlson was drafted, but I think he could turn into a nice top 4 mobile, offensive defenseman.

11. New York Islanders (from Calgary) Joel Farabee, LW
That Hamonic trade sure hasn't worked out for Calgary. In this scenario, the Islanders would take a New York native and offensive playmaking catalyst in Joel Farabee.
Comparison: Zach Parise; both of them not the biggest, but are battlers that can make the offensive play, ala a younger Parise.

12. Chicago: Joseph Veleno, C
I know some places have him dropping, but I still think a team will like him enough in the top 15 to take him. That could be the Blackhawks, who could potentially see Veleno feeding pucks to Patrick Kane, which would help his offensive consistency problems.
Comparison: Kyle Turris; he could possibly become a two-way, 2nd line center, especially if he lines up with Patrick Kane.

13. Pittsburgh: Ty Smith, D
With rumors of them shipping out Kris Letang, they're going to need some puck movers in the system to replace him. He's one of the better puck movers in the draft, owning solid two-way skill and elite skating ability. He's a top 10 candidate, too, only falling because some others pushed him down.
Comparison: Cam Fowler. Sort of similar in some ways to Miro Heiskanen last year; with his excellent skating allowing him to compete at both ends of the ice.

14. Colorado: Jared McIsaac, D
I know he's been dropping a little, but I think some team will like him. The Avs have Makar on the right, now a guy on the left would be another welcome addition. There's a Mooseheads connection there with MacKinnon, so it might be a decent fit.
Comparison: Alex Edler; a guy that's inconsistent, physical and can bring the play when he's on. I view McIsaac in the same light.

15. Anaheim: Jesperi Kotkaniemi, RW/C
The Ducks go with the big Finn that was inexplicably left off Team Finland. They like their skilled Europeans, so they latch on to him. I think he has potentially top 10 level of talent, but it seems he can't break in on the major lists.
Comparison: Sean Monahan; they both have that big size and two-way smarts, along with a deceptively fast and sneaky shot that can be used to score goals.

16. Carolina: Ryan McLeod, C
The Hurricanes are looking for centers and for some size. He fits the bill for both. He's similar in a lot of ways to his brother, playing with a bevy of speed and two-way skill. It'd set them up for years against of playing against each other in the Metropolitan division.
Comparison: Dylan Larkin; blazing speed mixed with scoring skill and two-way play. Likely not a top end type of center, but someone that can play a responsible game.

17. Minnesota: Bode Wilde, D
Wilde to the Wild is just too easy to do. It makes sense, though; after they've gone with offense these past few years. They like American players and if he's still on the board, it might be hard to pass on him.
Comparison: Jacob Trouba; he ticks a lot of the same boxes: a hard shot, two-way play, physicality and so on.

18. New York Rangers: Grigori Denisenko, LW/RW
After going with Chytil and Andersson last year, they're going to need some guys to play with them. They return to their Euro scouting and grab Denisenko, who's looked good at the tournaments he's played in. He might gel well with their other forwards.
Comparison: Jonathan Drouin; probably a perimeter type of player, but with high offensive skills and good hands.

19. San Jose: Isac Lundestrom, C/LW
He fits the mould of the type of players the Sharks like to grab. They like taking European projects with good two-way ability. There are people who are hot/cold on him because he's a high-floor/low-ceiling type of 2-way player.
Comparison: In some ways, he reminds me of Bo Horvat when he was drafted. Bo wasn't thought of being a high-end offensive guy, but he's worked on things and is now a speedy player with good two-way and playmaking ability. At his best, I think Lundestrom could be similar. If not, then maybe Erik Haula could be a more apt comparable. Then again, Erik Haula is having a career year this year; but Lundestrom could be a guy in that mould.

20. Columbus: Filip Hallander, LW/C
I think he could be this year's version of Filip Chytil, meaning he's a European offensive forward that jumps into the first round. He's been on fire lately and his versatility and ability to play center could make him attractive to the Blue Jackets.
Comparison: Rickard Rakell. They're both versatile offensive forwards that can make a top 6 look solid.

21. Dallas: Rasmus Kupari, RW/C
The Stars have become a haven for Finnish players; Honka, Klingberg, Heiskanen, Lindell, etc.. Kupari would add to that core, giving them a speedy, offensive dangling forward.
Comparison: Phil Kessel; I think he's most likely a winger that can come down off the wing and shoot the puck and produce offense.

22. Toronto: Dominik Bokk, RW
The Leafs have a strong European scouting presence. Bokk's the best German prospect since Leon Draisaitl and seems like the type of pickup they would like. And yes, I know they need RHD, maybe even some center depth, but Bokk's scoring could go well with Auston Matthews. If they trade a Marner or Nylander, he could be a replacement for them.
Comparison: David Pastrnak; they're similar in a lot of areas. They can score goals and produce offense.

23. Boston: Jack McBain, C
He's committed to Boston College and the Bruins like to take guys developing in the American collegiate systems. I know some have dropped him down their rankings some; but a big guy such as McBain often finds himself picked in the first few rounds.
Comparison: Charlie Coyle. I'm not sure if he can be a bigtime point producer. However, he should still be able to handle himself well, along with bringing some size and skill.

24. New Jersey: Ryan Merkley, D
The Devils should be going to the draft hoping to build their defense and take the best defenders available. It's an area that needs work and Woo seems like the best option at this point. Merkley, once thought of a top 5, has fallen way down the board due to his poor defense and refusal to listen to his coaches. The Devils will hope they can reel him in; plus they have switched to a speedy, puck-moving style of game, which could make his transition easier.
Comparison: At times, he reminds me of a young PK Subban, who was much more reckless with his play (and fell into the second round), bringing much offensive from the backend. Other times, he gives off Anthony DeAngelo vibes. He's high-risk/high-reward.

25. Philadelphia [from St. Louis]: K'Andre Miller, D
After they get lucky and get Svechnikov earlier, they can take the American defender. They have a healthy group of young defenseman already, so they can give him plenty of time needed to develop. If it works out, they could have a solid shutdown, two-way skating defenseman.
Comparison: Adam Larsson; big, mobile, raw with some hitting and offensive ability, as well.

26. Winnipeg: Jett Woo, D
There's a distinct irony in Bode Wilde going to the Wild and Jett Woo going to the Jets in this mock. It wasn't done on purpose, I swear! It's just how things played out! Anyhow, the Jets have an abdundance of forwards and still need some defenders. Woo would fit that bill.
Comparison: Justin Faulk; they're both stocky guys around the same height and they both focus on two-way play and puck movement.

27. Vegas: Serron Noel, RW
Their head scout loves big players. Serron Noel has the size and scoring ability to potentially be an impact forward. He's still raw, but he could be a good complementary type to play with someone such as Cody Glass.
Comparison: Anthony Mantha. Big in size and will need developmental time; can be a goal scorer.

28. Washington: Mattias Samuelsson, D
If he's still there, I think the Capitals would run for the hills with him. His size is realy good, can skate well enough and displays an active stick and hard shot. They need defenseman, so it's a solid pickup.
Comparison: Mattias Ekholm. I'm not sure if he can be a top end guy, but with his shot and shutdown ability, I think he could be a nice second pairing defender that can do duty on special teams.

29. Los Angeles: Akil Thomas, LW/C
The Kings are looking to add more speed and skill. That's the exact type of energetic game that Thomas brings, enabling him to forecheck well and put a lot of shots on net. He might be a good middle 6 scoring option, giving a team such as Los Angeles more depth.
Comparison: Jason Zucker; lots of speed, forechecking and scoring in his game.

30. Nashville: Jacob Olofsson, C
Owning depth in just about every position, they take whomever they feel is best on the board. At this point, Olofsson could be under consideration. They could see a future where he's a perfect 3rd line center behind Johansen and Turris. His two-way play is solid enough for a middle 6, at least.
Comparison: Lars Eller. I'm not sure if he's going to have bigtime scoring potential. However, I see him becoming a nice, safe middle 6 center, which would be fine for a deep team such as the Predators. Maybe he could even surprise.

31. Tampa Bay: Vitali Kravtsov, RW
Going with Russia has worked wonders for them so far. Why stop now? Kravtsov has plenty of offensive potential and might be worth a pick at this point.
Comparison: Pavel Buchnevich; a scored Russian winger that can contribute to a top 6.

---

Round 2

32. Florida [from Arizona]: Jesse Ylonen, RW
The Panthers could kickoff the second day by taking an industrious, speedy Finn with Ylonen. They've shown an affinity towards Finns, so it points me in that way. Could be a nice project for them, in any event.
Comparison: I'm thinking a guy similar to Mike Hoffman, who plays with speed, offense and goal scoring ability. Not a driver of offense, but a nice contributer.

33. Buffalo: Cole Fonstad, C/LW
An offensive contributor that's being underrated -- perhaps to the fact he isn't the biggest player. He's only 5'10", but the amount of offense he can generate would be a boost to any team. Especially to a team such as the Sabres, who need offense badly.
Comparison: Kevin Fiala. Not a big guy; moreso a fast, cerebral, speedy forward with excellent playmaking skill.

34. Detroit [from Ottawa]: Alexander Khovanov, C
He's been moving up the board since his return from injury. A team such as Detroit could take him on, hoping he can find his groove with them.
Comparison: Mikael Granlund. An undersized center/forward with great setup and playmaking ability.

35. Vancouver: Calen Addison, D
The Canucks want a right-shooting offensive d-man and Calen Addison's the best left on the board that fits that description.
Comparison: Ty Barrie. What he lacks in size, he can make up for in puck mobility and offense.

36. Montreal: Jakub Lauko, C/LW
For a younger player in a limited role, Lauko had a decent WJC for the Czech Republic. It's enough for him to get noted by the Habs, who like his ability to skate with the puck and bring excellent puck skills.
Comparison: Jakub Vrana. A mixture of speed, vision and skill. An offensive forward, which is something the Habs need. Can play center, which incidentally puts him

37. Edmonton: Anderson MacDonald, LW
The Oilers need wingers on their left. MacDonald is a goal scorer and Edmonton needs more offense from their forwards. It'd be a decent option in going forward.
Comparison: Big-bodied goal scorers, ala James Neal.

38. Washington [from Florida]: Martin Kaut, RW
The playmaking Czech winger had an excellent WJC tourney. It's enough to get him into the top 40.
Comparison: Jason Pominville. A top 6 type of playmaking winger that can add to a team's offensive production.

39. Detroit: Alec Regula, D
It's been noted that Detroit likes drafting out of the OHL. Bonus points for the fact that Regula has been racing up the charts and is a Michigan native, as well. The Red Wings take him on the team, loving the progress he's shown this year.
Comparison: Josh Manson; I'm not sold on him being a major offensive performer. I think he'd be perfect to play alongside an offensive defenseman, getting his points that way, while playing a stay at home type of game.

40. Philadelphia: Jake Wise, C
He fits the motif for the type of player the Flyers enjoy drafting now. Plus they also like guys in American developmental systems. His injury knocked him down the board a little, but they can afford to take the risk.
Comparison: Robby Fabbri; a two-way forward with playmaking skill, but I can imagine his style of play could lead to injuries.

41. New York Islanders: Benoit-Olivier Groulx, C/LW
In my mock, I've had the Islanders go defense-heavy in the first round. In the second, they can go with a two-way versatile forward that can do a little bit of everything.
Comparison: Phillip Danault; Personally, I'm not entirely sold on him becoming a top 6 offensive contributor. I think he could become a versatile, all-around guy that can help teams win, though.

42. New York Islanders [from Calgary]: Nando Eggenberger, LW/RW
He didn't have the best WJC tournament, this is drops him out of the top 40. There's still plenty of time to turn it around, so his drop isn't going to be huge. The Islanders could use a guy that can use his size to score goals and make hits.
Comparison: Like his country-mate, Nino Neiderreiter, he's a guy that can be rough around the edges, hit and put pucks on net. He could be a nice complementary piece to Mat Barzal, for example.

43. Montreal [from Chicago]: Allan McShane, C
McShane is an industrious two-way forward, who doesn't truly excel in one area, but can do a lot of little things right such as playmaking, winning faceoffs, shutting down offense, etc.. It'll give the Habs another center prospect in their system, something that needs to be addressed.
Comparison: David Krejci. He, like, Krejci, is a smart, safe player that isn't the best skater, but is positionally solid and knows what to do at both ends of the ice.

44. Pittsburgh: Milos Roman, C/LW
Thanks to his smarts, speed and two-way skill, he comes across as a Penguins-like player. The Penguins would go for BPA here, thinking he'd be a great add for their system.
Comparison: Vladislav Namestnikov; versatile, smart, a playmaker and is solid defensively.

45. Colorado: Luka Burzan, C/LW
The Avs are building a team around speed and skill and it's what Burzan can bring to them. He can play as wing or center, making him a nice versatile pick, something promising for a team that needs forward.
Comparison: Adam Henrique; speed, two-way ability and goal scoring are parts of their game.

46. Anaheim: Rasmus Sandin, D
Sandin's gotten a boost lately and has been jumping up the boards. The Ducks love Swedes and they'd definitely want to make sure to keep strong depth on their prospective defense. Seems like a smart add.
Comparison: Matt Niskanen; I'm not sure if Sandin will be a guy that stands out, but he can move the puck and quietly put up points.

47. Carolina: Curtis Hall, C
The Hurricanes add a big American prospective center to their group. They'll want to keep building up that area, in hopes of finding some more top 6 centers to fill up their core.
Comparison: Artem Anisimov; A mixture of size, skill, hockey IQ and two-way play makes Hall intriguing to the 'Canes.

48. Arizona [from Minnesota]: Jakub Skarek, G
It's been up and down for Skarek. When he's on, he's been on; and when he's cold, it's been rough. That said, the Coyotes badly need some starting goaltender potential in their system.
Comparison: Connor Hellebuyck; there's a combo of size, speed and inconsistency that needs to be worked on. The potential is there, though.

49. New York Rangers: Filip Johansson, D
A right-shooting, Swedish offensive defenseman would look nice at the back for the Rangers. He'd be a long term project that they can wait on.
Comparison: Justin Schultz; a lot of things to work on, but mainly plays in an offensive role.

50. Toronto [from San Jose]: Sean Durzi, D
The first overager off the board. He's a right-handed shot, which is something the Leafs would love to add. He's a pure offensive guy, too. They'll hope other teams have made a mistake by passing over him.
Comparison: Brandon Montour; a purely offensive defenseman that was passed over in his draft year, developed and worked on some things and progressed well the next year.

51. Columbus: Johnathan Tychonick, D
Playing in a lesser league might knock him down some; but any team that picks him gets an excellent, mobile puck mover. It gives the Blue Jackets more depth on the backend, which would open up various potential trades in the future.
Comparison: Nick Leddy; not huge, a swift skating offensive defenseman.

52. Dallas: Ty Dellandrea, C
His production has slowed down a little, dropping him down somewhat. Alas, the Stars would happily snag him, his speed being a strength and would be a welcome addition to the club.
Comparison: Andreas Athanasiou; his game is all about creating havoc with his speed, with a good IQ and two-way smarts.

53. Toronto: Jonatan Berggren, C
The Leafs do a little of scouting overseas, especially in Sweden. They're wanting center depth and he's been underrated, in my opinion, thanks to his size. Might be a good addition.
Comparison: Brayden Point; undersized, yet highly skilled center.

54. Boston: Sampo Ranta, RW/LW
As always, the Bruins like to develop players within the confines of American developmental systems. Ranta's currently playing in the USHL and would add scoring depth for them.
Comparison: Mikkel Boedker; he plays with speed and shoots the puck a lot. Could be a nice middle 6 guy.

55. New Jersey: Kevin Bahl, D
It's yet another defensive addition. 6'5"+ defenseman are always coveted highly and end up going in the first few rounds. I'd expect something similar to happen here.
Comparison: Tyler Myers; the type of surprisingly good skating defender with size, who will mostly work on shutting down opponents, while paired with a puck mover.

56. St. Louis: Phillip Kurashev, C
He has the makings of a middle 6 type of center. If the Blues ship out younger, already-draft players to make a run at the playoffs, he could be a replacement.
Comparison: Tyler Bozak.

57. Winnipeg: Nathan Dunkley, C
He might be a safe bet to rise up the charts in the following months. He plays smart, has some skill and can do a little bit of everything.
Comparison: Christian Dvorak; mixes offense and two-way play nicely, including winning faceoffs. Could be a nice depth center for a team.

58. Vegas: Jacob Ragnarsson, D
Their scouting team is made up of scouts that ever vigilant in Europe. Ragnarsson's been really underrated, playing a safe, sound, smart game. There's high potential in him. If a team can develop him, it could be a future steal.
Comparison: Paul Martin; plays a sound, two-way positional game that helps him at all ends of the ice.

59. Montreal [from Washington]: Filip Kral, D
The Habs scout heavily out in the WHL. In doing so, they pick up the Czech defender, who had an okay showing for a younger player at the WJC. He could become a shutdown defender that can play it safe, whilst also moving puck along quickly.
Comparison: Anton Stralman; a "safe" defenseman that keeps the puck out of his own zone.

60. Los Angeles: Jake Pivonka, C/RW
Has the bloodlines and potential to become a pro. He can play a speedy and smart game, something the Kings would love to add to their system, I'm thinking. I think he could be a nice all-around center for them.
Comparison: William Karlsson; think of a safe, smart, all-around center that can think the game well.

61. Colorado [from Nashville]: Blade Jenkins, RW
Like most goal scorers, he's streaky. Either way, it gives the Avalanche some extra depth upfront.
Comparison: Brandon Saad; not a great skater. However, when he gets on a hot streak, he can put up points.

62. Tampa Bay: Xavier Bernard, D
The Lightning will want to keep a strong back-end. As it stands right now, they're pretty solid; adding Bernard, an offensive, puck-mover that's been underrated could be a nice addition.
Comparison: Think of a Jeff Petry type; good size, some offensive, two-way skill.

---

That's my project for today. We'll see who progresses for the next month or so; or who falls off a cliff or so on. Some guys just missing the cut for the 2nd round were: Alexander Alexeyev, Cam Hillis (who would be a steal in the third round), Toni Utunen, Riley Sutter, Adam Ginning and so on.

One other note: there's probably a bunch of errors, misspellings, typos and so on. My bad! Anyhow, this was all a fun project to do on a cold Saturday.[/B]

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Cant speak for other teams, but I dont think Vancouver will pass on Quinn Hughes at 5. They NEED to draft a #1 D. Their forward core is pretty set.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
Great list! One of the most thorough analysis on this board. Thanks for putting it together.

Reactions: Duke16

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
The Canes C need is singularly for top-end guys...they're heavy (Staal, Rask, Kruger) on those kinds of depth Cs. Really, their need is for scoring talent.

This is really the year they can and should start taking risks on boom-or-bust guys in the hopes that some of them work out and can be the scorers they need.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Would prefer Hughes at #6 although I like Wahlstrom. Not a fan of McShane is I don't see much potential. Kral and Lauko are good picks IMO.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Not saying I disagree with you but I’d be pissed if the Sharks took ANOTHER safe prospect. It’s definitely been their strategy of late but still.

JK2K

Mar 13, 2017
Really appreciate this mock. Of course I don’t agree with all the rankings, but who cares. Lots of work to do and I appreciate the effort. Thanks a lot!

Reactions: newdimension

Markham30

Jan 12, 2016
Edmonton
Great work on the Mock Draft, love the Dobson pick for the Oilers. Thanks for the insight on the prospects as far as comparisons.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
First off, well done. 1st and 2nd mock with a write up for each. :thumbu:

As a Leaf fan I'd be quite happy with all three picks as well. The teams immediate need may be a D-man (or a center), but these kids are 2-4 years away where we're drafting.

Mortimer Smith

Jan 8, 2018
Me too. I think the Oilers very much need to replace the offense they are missing from the defense since Justin Schultz was traded and I believe that Bouchard is a better offensive d-man than Dobson is, in my opinion.
Yea for sure, I just think Bouchard is the better bet, 3 solid years in the OHL on one of the best programs/teams in the CHL that has an actually great succession rate with top prospects drafted through the team in the first round, no doubt in my mind he will be one of the most mature Dman in this draft. Had a better showing than Dobson at the CHL top prospects I might add. I wouldn’t be surprised if he makes the NHL in his first year or even just need one year max to get going at the NHL pace.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad