NHL Entry Draft: NewDimension's 3 Round Mock for February.

newdimension

May 18, 2013
Few notes:

- This is all done through the eyes of a fan. Any words, comments or comparisons should be taken with a grain of salt. Not everyone is going to become the person they're compared to; or even make the league, for that matter.
- I have the draft ranking done in post-playoff format. I'm predicting an Eastern Conference Finals with Tampa Bay beating Pittsburgh; and in the West, I have Nashville beating Vegas. In the Cup Finals, I have Nashville beating Tampa Bay.
- The rankings are as of February 1st, 2018.
- I'm going to do 3 rounds, with maybe more added on as the months go by. Right now, 3 is almost the top 100, so it works out well.
- I'm not 100% with team needs for every team.
- Using tankathon.com, my top 3 picks went to: 1. Montreal; 2. Detroit; 3. Arizona.

Round 1

1. Montreal: Rasmus Dahlin, D
For full disclosure, I'm a Habs fan. If the Habs actually do somehow win the lottery, I'd be through the damn roof. They need talent everywhere and getting a potentially elite defenseman such as Dahlin would do wonders for them/for me. The only thing is they need to find a way to not trade him away for whatever reason, which seems to be the new status quo for the current managing team.
Comparison: I compare him to a Scott Niedermayer/Jay Bouwmeester type of defenseman. A smart, puck-rushing defender with good size, who can also do a little bit of everything, with potential through the roof.

2. Detroit: Andrei Svechnikov, RW
Andrei would join his big brother, Evgeny in Detroit. It's probably a bonus that he plays in the OHL, too; which the Red Wings often seem to draft out of a lot. He probably doesn't fit a positional need -- but he's the best possible player for them to take in terms of potential.
Comparison: A speedier, better skating Alexander Radulov.

3. Arizona: Brady Tkachuk, LW
Not only is there a family connection here -- and the Coyotes like their players with a hereditarial groom, there is an American connection here, as well. They have quite a few smaller, offensive players up front; adding a more physical, bulldozer-like player in Tkachuk would make them tougher to player against. They also have an affinity for taking Americans these past few years.
Comparison: Scott Hartnell. Maybe a younger version of Hartnell, who used a lot of grit to get to the net and cause havoc in the corners, with a little bit of skill.

4. Buffalo: Adam Boqvist, D
The Sabres need to find a way to walk out of this draft with some solid defenseman -- either via trade or the draft. Right now, Boqvist looks like the next best defenseman from the draft, so taking him would be 100% ideal.
Comparison: Erik Karlsson; he shoots hard, skates well, roughly the same size when drafted, etc.

5. Ottawa: Filip Zadina, RW
The Senators make it easy by quickly snatching Zadina off the board. He'll likely battle it out with Svechnikov for 2nd overall, depending on who's drafting where in the final draft rankings. He'd give them an immediate boost in the arm on offense from the wing.
Comparison: Marian Hossa; I think he has Hossa's vision and sniping ability. Granted, he might need to work on his skating and defensive play to be like Hossa, but he could be similar in play style if he can keep developing.

6. Vancouver: Evan Bouchard, D
The Canucks have been doing a good job of building their team these past few years. With Juolevi on the left hand side, they need a right-handed shooter; and in steps Evan Bouchard, Juolevi's partner and teammate to play on the right side. His ability to generate shots and boost a powerplay will be a bonus for the Canucks, along with his smart overall play. He's been a constant riser all season long and his Top Prospect Game probably did wonders to solidify himself in the top 10.
Comparison: Roman Josi; low panic threshold defensemen that can get a bevy of shots on net from the point, keep things smooth, simple and make his team better.

7. Florida: Quinn Hughes, D
As a native of Florida, it'd do wonders for the team on a local level. As a skill level for their defense, it's exactly what they're looking for. Pair him up with an Ekblad, for example, and it could make a really nice, dynamic pairing.
Comparison: I liken him to a young Dan Boyle; always mobile, thinking fast and hard and able to put up great numbers on the rush.

8. Edmonton: Noah Dobson, D
The Oilers need someone to move the puck from the back and get it out to McDavid and company. Dobson's the best on the board in that category, plays on the right side and blends an overall, safe two-way game.
Comparison: Alex Pietrangelo. The type of defenseman that does a lot of things well and can generate offense.

9. Carolina: Oliver Wahlstrom, RW/C
For the Canes, he'd be the best player on the board and the player with the highest upside. I don't see him as a center, though; I see him more as an offensive, shot-generating winger. His ability to snipe and shoot the puck would be a great add.
Comparison: I think he could be a lot like a Vladimir Tarasenko or Brock Boeser. Somewhere in between those types.

10. New York Islanders: Ty Smith, D
His play from the Top Prospects Game shouldn't drop him too much. I think most scouts will see it as a one-off, compared to his overall play throughout the year. The Islanders need defensive depth and he's the best on the board, with his ability to move the puck being a positive.
Comparison: Mark Giordano. A guy that can rush with the puck, while playing well enough defensively, play as a leader and can eat a lot of minutes.

11. New York Rangers: Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C/RW
Even though they went to Europe last year and picked up 2 potential centers, they go back there again this year and take another potential center. It's best for them to stock up at the position and take whomever they feel is best for them so that they can have plenty of options in the future.
Comparison: Sean Monahan. Not the best skater, but a really good all-around player with an excellent shot that he can put on net.

12. Chicago: Barrett Hayton, C
The Hawks need depth at center pretty badly. After years of domination, it might be time to re-fuel their stocks in that regard, especially with Toews's decline this season.
Comparison: Logan Couture. Another center that isn't a great center, but is a very smart, positionally sound player with a really good shot.

13. New York Islanders (from Calgary): Isac Lundestrom, C
The threat of John Tavares definitely looms over them. If that comes to fruition, they'll need increased depth, so they opt to take a center to play behind Mat Barzal.
Comparison: I think he could anything from a Frans Nielsen to a Bo Horvat. For the latter, Horvat was also drafted as a low-ceiling guy, but worked on his skills to increase his play.

14. Colorado: Joel Farabee, LW
A supremely intelligent American forward that'd look good with the Avs and the current system they're playing with. Even though he's not the biggest in terms of size, he's a battler and can bring offense.
Comparison: Zach Parise; a hard-working, intelligent playmaking forward.

15. Anaheim: Joseph Veleno, C
While his play has been better as of late, Veleno has dropped down the rankings, with the Ducks happy to grab him here. They need some center prospects and his playmaking ability would probably go well with their wingers.
Comparison: Nick Schmaltz; both pass-first centers that can play a smart, two-way game.

16. Philadelphia: Bode Wilde, D
For their first pick, the Flyers decide to keep their defense rankings strong by targeting the right-shooting defender that's developing in the USHL, a league they often look to for their picks. He might have top pairing upside as long as he can keep improving.
Comparison: He's likely to become something of a Jack Johnson-meets-Jacob Trouba type of skating defender.

17. Columbus: Jacob Olofsson, C
Even though Pierre-Luc Dubois has looked really good for them, they would still love to keep building depth down the middle. He's more of a "safer" two-way center that can do a little bit of everything, also owns a pretty good shot on net.
Comparison: Derrick Brassard. Like Brassard, he's a dependanble, two-way guy that can slot in at center and play a smart game, whilst adding some offense.

18. New Jersey: Ryan Merkley, D
If this has been a few years ago, they might pass on him. Considering the current style of game they play -- a more uptempo, puck-movement style -- he'd make a nice addition. There's been plenty said about his lack of defensive play and not listening to coaches; but I think teams will think they can "get" to him with proper coaching.
Comparison: At top end, I think he's a lot like PK Subban, especially when he was drafted; ie: Subban also fell due to defensive issues. Subban eventually settled down and became a Norris-caliber defender. If he doesn't learn to listen to his coaches and start playing better defense, I guess Anthony DeAngelo would be a better comparison. It's high-risk/high-reward for him.

19. Minnesota: Rasmus Kupari, C/LW
Frankly, I see him as a type with a lot of tools and can put up points, but will have trouble as being a "top" guy. Put him in the right system and he could produce well -- and I think the Wild could be the perfect fit for him. Have Koivu and Granlund take him under their wing and he develop him slowly.
Comparison: At top end, he's probably a Matt Duchene type of center... as in the current version of Duchene.

20. Los Angeles: Dominik Bokk, RW/LW
The Kings' scouting staff are always on the lookout for good European talent. Bokk has been flying under the radar and is only now being picked up on for his potential. If this happens, they could be walking away with a steal.
Comparison: David Pastrnak. Both of them offensive forwards with great hands and vision, with the ability to put the puck in net.

21. Dallas: Ryan McLeod, C
The Stars love to draft with size... and they also need centers. Judging by that logic, Ryan McLeod would be the best fit on the board. I don't think he's as good as his brother, but he's a 6'2", 200+ pound center that'd play behind Tyler Seguin in the lineup. As a #2/3 type, he could possibly excel.
Comparison: David Legwand; when he was playing, he was a big, speedy, responsible, pass-first center that played best in a depth role as a #2/3 center.

22. San Jose: K'Andre Miller, D
The Sharks are known to like their players that have a lot tools. K'Andre Miller is raw as hell, but definitely has the tools they look for in their players. His skating alone could make him a decent defensive defenseman; and he might even have some offensive upside.
Comparison: Brady Skjei. A mixture of two-way play with some offense thrown in. Raw, but give him some developmental time.

23. Toronto: Jett Woo, D
He's a perfect fit for the Leafs. He plays on the right side, skates well and brings solid two-way play. It's an organization need and a pick for best overall.
Comparison: Justin Faulk. Like Faulk, he's a thick defender with a solid base that can do a little bit of everything.

24. Philadelphia (from St. Louis): Serron Noel, RW
Even though they've mainly targeted smaller, skilled players these past few draft years, they decide to add someone with some size and grit to their frontlines. Think of him as a potential replacement for Wayne Simmonds down the line. At 6'5", he's extremely raw, but he could become a nice complementary type to go with their skilled guys.
Comparison: Anthony Mantha, mainly due to the size and raw appeal.

25. Boston: Martin Kaut, RW
They went Czech with Pastrnak and it's worked out wonderfully. They go back there and take Kaut, who's been rising up the boards and has potential to be a top 6 winger. I believe they need depth on the right side, thus it helps them in that area.
Comparison: Justin Williams; an all-around mix of offensive playmaking ability, two-way skill and energy.

26. Washington: Jared McIsaac, D
Offensively, the numbers haven't been there for McIsaac. Nonetheless, he could become a solid mixture of a puck-moving, shutdown type. The Capitals need some d-men in their system and he could be a nice fit.
Comparison: Jaccob Slavin; two-way defender with a lot of tools that can also skate well with the puck.

27. Winnipeg: Rasmus Sandin, D
The Jets go with a smart, low maintenance defender that can move the puck and make plays when necessary. Had a really nice coming out show at the Top Prospects Game and it probably solidified his first round status.
Comparison: Kind of reminds me of Andrei Markov at times; not saying he'll be as good or have the same career... just that there are similarities; ie: not a great skater, but good at moving the puck, making plays and has good smarts.

28. Pittsburgh: Ty Dellandrea, C
He's another guy that got himself into first round consideration at the Top Prospects Game. He's exactly what the Penguins need and they'd give him developmental time behind Crosby and Malkin.
Comparison: Dylan Larkin; he plays an in-your-face, hard hustling, two-way style of game that can be used in any and all situations.

29. Vegas: Grigori Denisenko, LW/RW
The Russian factor might drop him a little but. Then again, Vegas has a pretty good pro European scouting group, so it might make him a nice option. They have Suzuki and Glass as future centers. Adding Denisenko as a winger would be a nice touch.
Comparison: Jonathan Drouin; a playmaking, talented winger with good hands that plays a perimeter style of game.

30. Tampa Bay: Benoit-Olivier Groulx, LW/C
A little bit of nepotism in this pick as his father is head coach of their AHL affiliate. Even so, he's a guy that'll likely settle in somewhere in a middle 6 and make it hard to play against. With an offensively loaded team such as Tampa, giving them a high-IQ two-way winger keeps them strong with depth.
Comparison: Brandon Dubinsky; he's able to do a little bit of everything. From physicality, to special teams, to being an on-ice leader.

31. Nashville: Blake McLaughlin, LW/C
They like drafting out of American leagues, so they go with McLaughlin, who's been rising up the board with his great play. Personally, I think he's one of the most underrated players and the Preds would be walking away with a steal.
Comparison: Sebastian Aho; a smart, high IQ forward that can buzz around, score goals and put up offense.

Round 2

32. Florida (from Arizona): Akil Thomas, LW/C
He falls just short of going in the first round. He has roots in Florida and was first noticed playing hockey there. The Panthers start taking some guys for marketing reasons -- and it's still a good pickup in terms of skill.
Comparison: Jason Zucker.

33. Buffalo: Johnny Tychonick, D
First, Boqvist; and now, Tychonick. The Sabres go into this draft wanting to improve their defense and this is a great first start.
Comparison: Shayne Gostisbehere.

34. Detroit (from Ottawa): Jack McBain, C
The Red Wings love size. He's also a center, something that ticks another box for them. They'll hope he can improve his game and improve upon what he's shown thus far this season.
Comparison: Riley Sheahan.

35. Montreal: Filip Hallander, C/LW
Comparison: To go along with Dahlin, they take fellow Swede, Filip Hallander, who's been putting up excellent numbers. I know they haven't had the best luck with Swedish players in the past, but maybe this time, it turns around. Plus he plays a center.
Comparison: Rickard Rakell.

36. Vancouver: Jonatan Berggren, C/LW
Another talented Swede is off the board thanks to the Canucks zoning in on Berggren. He's undersized, but incredibly dynamic. They've been building a Swedish powerhouse in Vancouver, so they may as well toss him onto the pile.
Comparison: Jaden Schwartz.

37. Washington (from Florida): Vitali Kravtsov, RW
They've never feared the Russian factor; therefore, they hop on Kravtsov, who's been putting up good numbers overseas. He definitely has top 6 potential thanks to his skill.
Comparison: Pavel Buchnevich.

38. Edmonton: Jakub Lauko, C/LW
He's the type of forward that the Oilers need. He has great speed, can score goals and plays a two-way game.
Comparison: Kasperi Kapanen.

39. Detroit: Mattias Samuelsson, D
Surprised to still see him here -- especially with how much teams love size, they're quick to jump on him. They need bodies for their left side of defense and he could be a solid shutdown defender, who can also keep teams honest with his big shot.
Comparison: Mattias Ekholm.

40. Carolina: Cam Hillis, C
They need center prospects. Hillis has been coming on strong after a rough start to the season. Plus he seems like the type of "cerebral", and elusive forward they usually like to take.
Comparison: Christian Dvorak.

41. New York Islanders: Alec Regula, D
It's another pickup for their defense. I think he's going to be a riser come after day, thanks to his good size.
Comparison: Josh Manson.

42. New York Rangers: Filip Johansson, D
They Rangers head back overseas, where they feel comfortable, targeting this mobile, offensive defenseman. He's a right shooting defenseman, something that is always in high demand.
Comparison: Jake Gardiner.

43. Montreal (from Chicago): Cole Fonstad, C/LW
The aforemtioned Habs still need to add more offensive firepower, along with guys that are capable of playing center. While I'm not 100% sold on Fonstad being a center, he does bring a load of offense.
Comparison: Brayden Point.

44. New York Islanders (from Calgary): Nando Eggenberger, LW/RW
The Islanders figuratively add some beef to their forward group. He plays a power game and could be a nice depth player for them.
Comparison: Jake Virtanen.

45. Colorado: Alexander Alexeyev, D
The Avs want to add some depth to their left side of defense. At this range, Alexeyev could be a good target, with teams liking his big size and all-around play.
Comparison: Esa Lindell.

46. Anaheim: Xavier Bernard, D
They've lost some of their upcoming defensive prospects. They need to add some more bodies back there; with Bernard being a big, mobile defender and genuinely solid add.
Comparison: Shea Theodore.

47. Philadelphia: Jake Wise, C
Fits the mould of the modern Flyers draft pick. A focus more on skill and ability over size... plus they already focused on size by taking Serron Noel in the first round. Now they add Jake Wise, who's fallen due to injuries; but has put up good numbers since his return.
Comparison: Vincent Trochek.

48. Columbus: Allan McShane, C
It's another center prospect for the Blue Jackets, who keep building up that area, wanting to grow from an area of weakness to strength. They'll hope one/some of them will pay off.
Comparison: David Krejci.

49. New Jersey: Jesse Ylonen, RW
He kinda fits the type of Devils player: underappreciated, talented and skilled. At this slot, it's a nice pickup for their winger depth.
Comparison: Mike Hoffman.

50. Arizona (from Minnesota): Phillip Kurashev, C/RW
The Coyotes pickup a smart Swiss forward that could potentially settle in to a middle 6, playing a solid two-way game, along with owning a good shot. It's another boost for the ever-rebuilding team.
Comparison: Jakob Silfverberg.

51. Los Angeles: Slava Demin, D
The Kings go for a local kid, adding him to their defensive depth. They'll want to keep a strong core there, especially if they end up trading Muzzin/Martinez during the offseason.
Comparison: Keith Yandle.

52. Dallas: Milos Roman, C/LW
A speedy, two-way forward that can kill opponents in the neutral zone. Boasts good playmaking and passing ability, too. His versatility makes him a great pick at this point.
Comparison: Vladislav Namestnikov.

53. Toronto (from San Jose): Albin Eriksson, LW
The Leafs love drafting out of Sweden. They would feel he could be a good complementary player, with great size, to go along with their talented forwards.
Comparison: Nick Bjugstad.

54. Toronto: Jacob Pivonka, C
The Leafs like pulling players out of American developmental leagues, as well. Pivonka has NHL bloodlines and gives them a boost down the middle.
Comparison: Gustav Nyquist.

55. St. Louis: Alexander Khovanov, LW/C
If they end up trading away some of their already drafted talented, they could easily replace him/them with Alex Khovanov. Sickness curtailed his season, but he's come back pretty strong.
Comparison: Mikael Granlund.

56. Boston: Jay O'Brien, C
He seems like he could become a solid depth, two-way center that can work well at both ends of the ice. He's a New England-born player; a local team such as the Bruins taking him might be a good incentive to continue his progress.
Comparison: Tomas Plekanec.

57. Montreal (from Washington): Curtis Hall, C
I think it'll be important for the Habs to pick up some quality centers in this draft. They continue to do so with Hall, who's a 6'2" center with good skating and ability to score goals. He'll be a project, but he has the size and scoring potential of a decent prospect.
Comparison: Patrik Berglund.

58. Winnipeg: Sampo Ranta, RW
They have a "thing" for Finns. It's a bonus that Ranta is a speedy goal scorer, which would give them even more depth on the wing. It'd open them for many options, be it via trades or whatever.
Comparison: Mikkel Boedker.

59. Pittsburgh: Kevin Bahl, D
In reality, he'll likely go much earlier than this; remember: size is still beloved by many teams. That said, in this scenario, the Pens would grab him, liking his all-around potential and, well, did I mention his size? There's upside there, however; as evident by the Top Prospects Game.
Comparison: Nikita Zadorov.

60. Vegas: Riley Sutter, C/RW
Vegas is another team that loves size. Adding Sutter would be a good depth move, as he could fit in as any role and could play a versatile two-way game for them. It's good depth from someone that has the bloodlines to make the NHL.
Comparison: Brandon Sutter. It's a little lazy, I know.

61. Tampa Bay: Amir Miftakhov, G
Finally, the first goalie is taken off the board... and it isn't one of the usual names. There isn't much depth behind Vasilevskiy, especially in younger, talented guys. This gives them a safe stopgap. I know it isn't Skarek, who most have as the #1 goalie, but they could definitely feel he has the best possible upside. Plus they embrace the Russian factor.
Comparison: Jonathan Quick.

62. Colorado (from Nashville): Luka Burzan, C/LW
With MacKinnon down, their lack of center talent is on display. They have Jost, I know, but some more center-capable players would look nice for them.
Comparison: Adam Henrique.

---

Round 3

63. Arizona: Jakub Skarek, G
The Coyotes need some goalie prospects in their pipeline. An inconsistent season has him dropping down into the third round.
Comparison: Connor Hellebuyck.

64. Minnesota (from Buffalo): Calen Addison, D
Drops a little due to size and defensive concerns, but the Wild would pick him up at this slot, liking his upside.
Comparison: Ty Barrie.

65. Colorado (from Ottawa): Anderson MacDonald, LW
Inconsistency might drop him into the third round. A 6'2" power forward that can score goals at this point would be a solid pickup for them.
Comparison: Chris Stewart.

66. Montreal: Blade Jenkins, LW/C
He's capable of playing at center, but is probably more adept at wing. That said, he could be a middle 6 scorer for the Habs, a team desperately in need of more goals.
Comparison: Brandon Saad.

67. Vancouver: Jacob Ragnarsson, D
Again, the Canucks return to Sweden for this pick, taking up the puck-moving defender.
Comparison: Matt Niskanen.

68. Florida: Filip Kral, D
Florida keeps building up their defense, adding a two-way guy that help with possession and keep pucks out of his own zone.
Comparison: Anton Stralman.

69. Edmonton: Tyler Madden, C/RW
He's been jumping up the draft boards. His style of play is probably what the Oilers should be focusing on for the future.
Comparison: Max Domi.

70. Detroit: Nathan Dunkley, C
They like to draft out of the OHL. They take on a potential top 9 center.
Comparison: JT Compher.

71. Carolina: Niklas Nordgren, RW
The 'Canes have a liking for talented Finns. They go back to that well by taking the undersized, stocky Nordgren, who can be an offensive powerhouse.
Comparison: Jonathan Marchessault.

72. New York Islanders: Nico Gross, D
The Islanders need to keep building up that blueline. Gross would be the best player left at this slot.
Comparison: Michael del Zotto.

73. New York Rangers: David Gustafsson, C
The Rangers go back to taking from Sweden. He has a lot of tools; just his skating is very suspect.
Comparison: Victor Rask.

74. Chicago: Jack Drury, C
Not only do they like taking local players, it also helps fill an area of need. He could play that industrious center role that Marcus Kruger played.
Comparison: Antoine Vermette.

75. Arizona [from Calgary): Jacob Bernard-Docker, D
It's a pick to increase their defensive depth. They'll hope his offense can translate to the pros.
Comparison: Colin Miller.

76. Colorado: Adam Ginning, D
A shot in the arm to their left shooting defense. Could be a future pairing with Cale Makar, with Ginning playing the shutdown role.
Comparison: Brenden Dillon.

77. Anaheim: Justus Annunnen, G
They need some depth in goal. They take the large Finn that might have some upside. It's worth a shot.
Comparison: Pekka Rinne.

78. Philadelphia: Scott Perunovich, D
A few years back, they took the chance on an undersized and over-age collegiate by the name of Shayne Gostisbehere. They try to hit gold again.
Comparison: Jared Spurgeon.

79. Columbus: Curtis Douglas, C/LW
At 6'8", he's a damn bull. It's a boost to their center depth, hoping his big size can contribute to the NHL some day.
Comparison: Martin Hanzal.

80. Anaheim (from New Jersey): Axel Andersson, D
They like drafting out of Sweden. They go for a smooth skating, two-way defender that might have some upside.
Comparison: Nate Schmidt.

81. Minnesota: Gavin Hain, LW
The Wild like taking local kids. He's not the biggest guy, but can play an offensive depth role, if he makes it to the big league.
Comparison: Jake Guentzel.

82. Los Angeles: Jan Jenik, LW/RW
They put their European scouting to task again and grab the smart forward. He could be a nice depth guy, considering their need for depth on the wings.
Comparison: Mattias Janmark.

83. Dallas: Ryan O'Reilly, LW/RW
Drafting this Texas-born forward in Texas, for the Texas team, is just a no-brainer. It's a bonus that he has a good shot, as well.
Comparison: Connor Brown.

84. Toronto (from San Jose): Sean Durzi, D
They can't believe he's here. It increases their depth on the right hand side. He's an overager that's improved his stock, which means this is right around his range of going off the board.
Comparison: Brandon Montour.

85. Washington (from Toronto): Danila Galenyuk, D
They need more puck movers in their system. They're not afraid of Russians, so they proudly select him.
Comparison: Nikita Zaitsev.

86. St. Louis: Adam Samuelsson, D
He has the requisite size, standing at 6'6". The only major detraction for him is his lack of foot speed.
Comparison: Braydon Coburn.

87. Boston: Martin Fehervary, D
They take the best player that's still there. They have some decent defenseman already, so it's just a boost to what they already have.
Comparison: Jake McCabe.

88. Washington: Liam Kirk, LW
If Washington's scouts like him enough to pick him this early, then they go for it. An England-born player that does nothing but score goals.
Comparison: Loui Eriksson.

89. Winnipeg: Nils Lundkvist, D
A right-shooting Swedish defenseman that's been jumping up the boards. He goes in the top 100 thanks to his impressive play and ability to move with the puck.
Comparison: Trevor Daley.

90. Detroit (from Pittsburgh): Caleb Everett, D
Michigan-born defender with good size and skating ability. There's a lot to like, especially if he's able to develop.
Comparison: Danny Dekeyser.

91. Minnesota (from Vegas): Keegan Karki, G
It's an odd year for goaltenders, so the Wild take a chance on a local kid that has promising size -- a fixture for today's modern goalie. Will it work out? We'll have to see.
Comparison: Martin Jones.

92. Tampa Bay: Giovanni Vallati, D
After a decent showing at the Top Prospects Game, the Bolts take a chance on him and grab him, giving them further depth on the point.
Comparison: Ben Hutton.

93. Nashville: Samuel Fagemo, LW
The Preds like to draft from overseas, picking up the speedy Swede. He has the potential to turn into something useful at the pro level.
Comparison: Jesper Fast.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Keep an eye on Linus Nyman he's playing really well in Kingston.
Nyman probably won't rise 1st round or even 2nd round but in rounds 3- 7 he could get drafted

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
This list seems damn solid. You got Bouchard up high there (yesss), Veleno and Bokk have settled after all the hype & anti-hype, McBain is tucked into early second round, etc.

Seems reasonable to me - my only reservation is Brady being #3 - he's climbed up a ton, but I personally cannot see him ahead of Zadina.

Reactions: zman77

flyersdad

Jan 23, 2018
Great write up. Love the comparisons. Akil Thomas falling out of the first round is surprising but on draft day you never know.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Nice write up but if I'm the Isles, given where you slotted the drafted kids they probably would go Kotkaniemi and Wilde in the 1st and certainly Ylonen doesn't get past them twice in the 2nd.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The Rangers won’t have Kotkaniemi on their board of they are worried about his skating. That’s one of the first things that they scout for. In this scenario they would go Farabee, maybe Wilde.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Very happy with Woo for the Leafs. I like Durzi as well but would also consider Beaudin if he's there. I don't mind Eriksson, but would take Gustafsson or Khovanov over Pivonka.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Nice work newdimension!
A 'Fast Riser' not listed here will be speedster Liam Foudy of the London Knights.
He finished #1 overall in On and Off Ice Testing at the CHL Prospects game.
Since trade-deadline Foudy is receiving Top 6 with the Knights.
His speed is 'Formenton' like and his first step is explosive.
Foudy is a 'late bloomer' with plenty of upside.
Look for him to move up the ranks fast.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
Unless I'm wrong here the Oilers get the Blues 3rd rounder this draft in the Yakupov to Blues trade dman Adam Samuelsson belongs to us and we thank you ! :thumbu:

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
dream scenario for the Habs with the first two picks. Dahlin and Hallander would be amazing.

Great job man, doing 3 rounds with a write up on each player is no easy task.

Reactions: PKwonthetrade

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Wilde, Noel, and Wise for Philly.....could work!

Philly HAS drafted size though: Allison, Ratcliffe, Bunnaman, Strome, Twarwynski, etc.. Just not with their 1st rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad