Newbie question about gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

martywest

Mar 22, 2006
Albany NY
Hello all, first post on this forum. I'm joining a C level league this fall, and although I've played a ton of pick-up hockey on frozen ponds and such, I've never played in full gear. I have a price range of what I wanted to spend to get a full set of gear. Thing is, because everything is on clearance this time of year, I've found that I can get much better quality equipment for the same price as what I was planning on spending on the lower quality. I do not plan on playing C level for ever, maybe a couple of seasons, but I want to get the right stuff. Is the higher level equipment a waste of money at this point, or should I get it now, that way I do not have to upgrade any time in the future. I'm just worried that better pads might be harder to skate and move in, but I don't know. I also do not want to have to go out and buy all new pads wen I start playing in a higher level game. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
It's probably the other way around. Usually the higher end stuff is lighter and allows you to move better while providing better level of protection. Which of course is the most important thing.

If you are a full grown adult and you have the money to get the better stuff, do it. If you take care of it your gear it should last you a very long time. Just make sure it fits and you are comfortable in it. Don't buy something you don't feel comfortable in or can't move well in just because it's a high end item.

PurpleShamrock

Dec 29, 2005
New England
I'm a goalie myself, but I've found the same to be true of goalie equipment: High-end gear typically allows for more freedom of movement, not less, and it tends to last longer (which helps to offset the higher initial cost), in addition to providing better protection. I concur with Stick: Good equipment is worth the investment (especially at this time of year, when items tend to be clearanced, as you already noted). Just make sure you're comfortable in it before you buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad