OT: New York Riveters/NY area women's hockey discussion

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
@Ori hoping most of that post was in jest.... :)

4 teams. Expansion is on the horizon. My guess is Pittsburgh. The league is growing, though. They just got their first partnership with an NHL team between the Riveters and the Devils. I think the Sabres and Bruins follow suit soon.

This is a tough year for the league because a lot of the top-talent is taking the year off to play with the women's National team, so the league is missing a lot of superstar firepower this year. Not totally a bad thing, because it gives a lot of the other players who are definitely good enough to play in the league their time to shine.

It's good hockey.

Tune in this weekend!

Reactions: Ori

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
How big is the league now @silverfish ?
I had never thought the interest would be big enough for women to play hockey, but my vision is very limited. I mostly see women in the kitchen and bathroom, and vacation, or while sleeping good to have a woman nearby. :)
how unbelievably sexist of you. my wifes a hockey player...shes WAY better than me.

Reactions: Ori

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Beauts goaltending made me sad last night. :(

I was there last night, in a gray Rangers hoody. I’m in that video stream somewhere.

Elia in Buffalo is a monster. Probably the most physically geared player they have.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Beauts goaltending made me sad last night. :(

I was there last night, in a gray Rangers hoody. I’m in that video stream somewhere.

Elia in Buffalo is a monster. Probably the most physically geared player they have.
I don't know if it was so much the Beauts goaltending as it was the Rivs skill. They are terrorizing the league right now.

League's top-5 scorers are all Riveters. Gruschow, D'Oench, Burke, Russo, Ryan.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Yeah but the goalie had some bad breaks too. She was pretty awesome outside of about half the goals IMO. I got to meet some after the game too. Really awesome players and people. Gruschow looks awesome out there though. She was a menace.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Olympic team just cut Bozek and Carpenter lmao. That's.... well, something. If they don't win gold, people are going to look at this.

My guess is Bozek comes back to the NWHL for the Beauts. Carpenter's "rights" belong to the new CWHL team in China where her dad is a coach. She'll probably go there.

These are massive surprising cuts for this team. I'm shook.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Uh, isn’t Bozek their best defender?
I'm a huge Emily Pfalzer fan, but Bozek is definitely up there. Has maybe the hardest shot in the women's game.

These cuts are mind-blowing. Carpenter is easily one of the US's best forwards. Makes no sense. Like the issue with the men's team has been recently. It's like they're trying to build the 'right' team rather than the 'best' team. Hanging on to MIRACLE a bit too much. Give me the 20 best players every time, and if I can't make it work, then I'm not a good coach.

Reactions: Machinehead

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm a huge Emily Pfalzer fan, but Bozek is definitely up there. Has maybe the hardest shot in the women's game.

These cuts are mind-blowing. Carpenter is easily one of the US's best forwards. Makes no sense. Like the issue with the men's team has been recently. It's like they're trying to build the 'right' team rather than the 'best' team. Hanging on to MIRACLE a bit too much. Give me the 20 best players every time, and if I can't make it work, then I'm not a good coach.
I think there’s a slight balance to be had, but your best players are your best players. For example, you never choose an Abdelkader at the expense of a Phil Kessel.

But maybe a Jordan Greenway over a Debrincat :naughty:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They even wear black and red jerseys now? I just can't.

I used to be really into it but I just can't.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Don't blame the Rivs for the sins of the Rangers.

It has everything to do with the Devils. If they were an Islanders affiliate and wearing orange it would be totally cool.

It comes down to respect. I have zero respect for the New Jersey Devils.

I've had my share of questionable partnerships. I'm a Liverpool fan and a Yankees fan even though Liverpool is owned by the Red Sox. But if I was a Major League Baseball player, I would be honored and humbled to play for the Boston Red Sox. If I was an NHL player, and only choice was to play for the Devils, then I announce my retirement.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Team NWHL played team USA today in an exhibition and held them scoreless through two periods, and ultimately lost 3-0. There are two sides of the coin to this:

1) Incredible for women's hockey the parity that exists considering there is superstar talent in the CWHL and playing for the Minnesota Whitecaps
2) Gotta be slightly worried for team USA. I'd imagine they were thinking how much they could use Carpenter during that second intermission.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
North and South Korea fielding a joint women's ice hockey team. Once again, women's hockey ahead of the curve in almost every imaginable way.

I really need to get a second monitor and start tracking this league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mac n Gs

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
It's too bad, I read literally NOTHING about this league. If not for this thread I wouldn't know it existed. I mean there may have been a story on Deadspin a while back that mentioned it, but that's been it.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It's too bad, I read literally NOTHING about this league. If not for this thread I wouldn't know it existed. I mean there may have been a story on Deadspin a while back that mentioned it, but that's been it.
There's good coverage out there, it's just very niche. None of the "big time" media players in hockey talk about it, though, and it's a shame.

Mike Murphy who does some Rangers blogging recently put out a couple of good tweets on Twitter people to follow for league coverage...

and

And there are games today and tomorrow!

Today: CT @ BUF 1pm | NY @ BOS 730p
Tomorrow: BOS @ NY 3p

Today's games are streaming on the NWHL website. I believe tomorrow's game will be streaming on Twitter live.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad