OT: New York Riveters/NY area women's hockey discussion

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Pretty cool that this is a thing now. We have the first female Japanese professional hockey player in net for New York.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Chad Wiseman is the team's coach, apparently.

There's also a team called the Connecticut Whale.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Chad Wiseman is the team's coach, apparently.

There's also a team called the Connecticut Whale.

they play in Stamford.

i'll totally be attending some of these games and will definitely be at the first home game. we got Alex Carpenter! :handclap:

and in regards to streaming, it seems they have something in the works. if you look in the season ticket package, there's something called a Cross Ice Pass:

10% off NWHL Live: Cross Ice Pass [details to come]

Last edited:

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I have to say I like the idea of the WNHL but it's hard for me to watch on a screen. The emphasis is more on skill and tactics---the speed isn't there and the aggression of the game is just lacking. And that last component is a glaring one for me. Watching it live at the rink I expect it's a lot better. I've seen the women's USA and Canada in the Olympics and the intensity is usually there to some degree but the thing for these teams is to get it up to that level and I'm not sure they're going to be able to do enough of that for me to want to watch them on television or off my iMac.

FWIW even though down 3-0 after the first period the Riveters were getting some good chances against the FDNY but the FDNY team looked like a more cohesive unit both on offense and defense. The guys are use to hitting and even though there was little of that they took more direct routes to the puck. Sometimes it's the difference between half a step but half a step can mean a lot. Talent wise the teams seemed at least equal.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I have to say I like the idea of the WNHL but it's hard for me to watch on a screen. The emphasis is more on skill and tactics---the speed isn't there and the aggression of the game is just lacking. And that last component is a glaring one for me. Watching it live at the rink I expect it's a lot better. I've seen the women's USA and Canada in the Olympics and the intensity is usually there to some degree but the thing for these teams is to get it up to that level and I'm not sure they're going to be able to do enough of that for me to want to watch them on television or off my iMac.

FWIW even though down 3-0 after the first period the Riveters were getting some good chances against the FDNY but the FDNY team looked like a more cohesive unit both on offense and defense. The guys are use to hitting and even though there was little of that they took more direct routes to the puck. Sometimes it's the difference between half a step but half a step can mean a lot. Talent wise the teams seemed at least equal.

i think the girls are still getting used to playing with each other. some of them haven't played together at all, so this is still new. speed wise, i'm sure it's slower, but you can't discount some of the younger American and Canadian girls. Hilary Knight zooms around on the ice like a total boss. physical aspect, i really hope they grandfather in SOME sort of physical play. i know the USA/Canada games get kind of rough (not necessarily full out body checking) and i would really like to see that employed in the women's game. just SOME rough stuff. enough of this getting penalized for a body check nonsense. it made me not wanna play hockey (or lacrosse), to be honest. i like the physical aspect of sports.

Mickaleen

May 8, 2012
Upstate NY
Is this legal? Delete if necessary.

So, we didn't end up with Hilary Knight, but that's okay. Riveters team looks good, especially in goal.

Roster - Can anyone find a better roster page than Wikipedia?
Schedule
NWHL Site

4S_wVjks.jpg

I for one, am pretty damn pumped for Women's hockey - and plan on marrying one of the players ;) ... I just wish they picked a more accessible arena. I was hoping they'd end up at Eisenhower Park, but alas, that dream has sailed. Will try to get to at least a game or two this season. Probably when HKnight21 comes to town ;)

Go Riveters!

I played against Shaela Lundberg (sp) in a pickup game. She is the real deal in goal.

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
Big props to Jenny Scrivens who is playing for $10k a year. In what I'm (optimistically) assuming is a play by her to allow her team to be better and teammates to make more money.

http://nwhl.co/players/cappro/

I mean, not to be a downer here but just being logical, there's not a big difference between $10k and a max contract of $25k when your husband is making a few mil :laugh:

I would love to go to some of these games if they were closer to the city. The stadium is literally inaccessible for people without a car. Oh well.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I mean, not to be a downer here but just being logical, there's not a big difference between $10k and a max contract of $25k when your husband is making a few mil :laugh:

I would love to go to some of these games if they were closer to the city. The stadium is literally inaccessible for people without a car. Oh well.

Yes, understood, that was the point I was trying to make but didn't express it that well.

Point being... Jenny doesn't need the money, so she can play for cheaper than her teammates can, and good for her for doing so.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY

B3 to the Q35, in south BK. yeah, it's a pain in the ass, but it's doable. if you're coming from Manhattan, take the 2 or 5 to Flatbush and grab the Q35 from there. definitely accessible, just annoying to get to and placed pretty much in the middle of nowhere. damn aircraft hangers and their need for desolate areas

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
attending the home opener next weekend. really looking forward to it. i'm admittedly jealous of the girls who get to grow up with female hockey heroes, but eh. looking up to Teemu Selanne and Brian Leetch wasn't too bad ;)

hooray women's hockey! :handclap: watching the Beuts-Pride game, now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad