New York Rangers OHL Prospects Review

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/08/30-teams-in-30-days-new-york-rangers.html

Each summer I review the progress, rank, and provide prognostication for each NHL team's OHL prospects. Today is the NY Rangers.

No real bluechip prospects, but some very interesting guys none the less. As always, would be willing to answer any questions you may have.

Great stuff, Brock.

Interesting how you said there are no bluechip guys, but it would seem that on the hoof that Halversson and Day are just that (I think the question with both is consistency but if they play to the level that they are capable of playing they will absolutely be considered bluechip) and Gettinger has the potential to be a bluechip guy (as you said in your article). If those guys can get their play together and play on a more consistent basis, they will be amazing hockey players.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I know it's tough to predict now, but what is Gettinger's ceiling? Is he expected to play in a top-6 role for the Greyhounds this season?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Brock, were you surprised the Rangers allowed Ryan Mantha to walk? What did you think of him last season?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
I know it's tough to predict now, but what is Gettinger's ceiling? Is he expected to play in a top-6 role for the Greyhounds this season?

I think he has top 6 upside. Size, speed/skating ability, and skill. Two things will determine whether he reaches that potential. 1) He learns to use his size more effectively in the offensive end and becomes more consistently engaged and 2) We get a better idea as to how good his hockey sense is.

He SHOULD play a top 6 role for the Greyhounds next year. But as I said in the article, they've got a very deep team at forward with a lot of very good young players. If he doesn't take steps forward to becoming a more consistent player and other young players do (Kopacka, Frost, Hawel, Verbeek), he's going to find himself back on the 3rd line.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Brock, were you surprised the Rangers allowed Ryan Mantha to walk? What did you think of him last season?

No, not really. Granted, Mantha was way better than he was in his first OHL season (two years ago), I don't think he was good enough to warrant a contract. Still has that size and he played with a little more jam in his own end, but because of average mobility and awareness, I'm not sure he projects as a good shut down defender at the next level. And his offensive game just never really improved all that much. Still can have a tough time with decision making with the puck, although he does a decent job walking the point in the offensive end. Again though, a guy who doesn't profile as a big time offensive contributor. Which means, despite possessing great size, what would he be at the next level?

I will say that Mantha was quite strong in the playoffs for Niagara IMO. Thought he upped his game. If he can play at that level all year next year (as an overager), he could be worth an NHL contract to someone (if he's say...a 40 point player and improves his defensive play even more so).

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2016/08/30-teams-in-30-days-new-york-rangers.html

Each summer I review the progress, rank, and provide prognostication for each NHL team's OHL prospects. Today is the NY Rangers.

No real bluechip prospects, but some very interesting guys none the less. As always, would be willing to answer any questions you may have.

Brock, thanks for the informative read. Look forward to more good stuff comin.
1 ?, I understand he is not OHL, but can you render opinion on ceiling for Gropp?
Thanks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad