Three stars at Edmonton

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
For those who want to get rid of tanking, you can't do the "most points after elimination" because teams that are actually that bad get robbed with middling 1st round picks... Look at the Avs last year. They would have ended up getting a 10th-15th overall because they were that bad. On top of that you have the issue of some teams being eliminated days before the season end vs teams that are eliminated several weeks before the trade deadline (buffalo and Arizona this year)...

The only solution I've come up with would be to lottery each and every draft position for every non-playoff team.... picks 1st thru 15th are completely randomized... It'd be basically a massive lottery, but it eliminates the dreaded middle.... it could also screw you if you come in a bad place and get leapfrogged 7 times... Imagine coming in dead last and getting leapfrogged by 11 teams to end up with the 12th overall? That'd blow chunks...

Perhaps a middle ground--what about doing a lottery for the top 5 picks? That'd be more fair.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
How can you say tank chasing is not a viable strategy when all the recent stanley cup champs ALL TANKED. Pitt, Chicago, Los Angeles ALL TANKED. Every single one of them has multiple elite scorers. That is not a coincidence. That is what you need to win. We are living proof of that. If we had had just one guy like that. JUST ONE. During our recent run we would have at least 2 cups. But we never picked high enough. We never had a chance at that level of player. If someone like even Barkov was our first line center we would have one. Hell imagine Tavares as our top player. We would have won twice. We haven't had a guy since Jagr break 70 pts. That's in 10 years. That's ****ing pathetic. And people here still want to win meaningless games that only prevent us from getting the players that will help us win the games that count that we proved we could not win without guys like that.

So tell this to the players? Why shit on fans?

I'm so sick of this narrative.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
For those who want to get rid of tanking, you can't do the "most points after elimination" because teams that are actually that bad get robbed with middling 1st round picks... Look at the Avs last year. They would have ended up getting a 10th-15th overall because they were that bad. On top of that you have the issue of some teams being eliminated days before the season end vs teams that are eliminated several weeks before the trade deadline (buffalo and Arizona this year)...

The only solution I've come up with would be to lottery each and every draft position for every non-playoff team.... picks 1st thru 15th are completely randomized... It'd be basically a massive lottery, but it eliminates the dreaded middle.... it could also screw you if you come in a bad place and get leapfrogged 7 times... Imagine coming in dead last and getting leapfrogged by 11 teams to end up with the 12th overall? That'd blow chunks...

Perhaps a middle ground--what about doing a lottery for the top 5 picks? That'd be more fair.

I hate that tanking exists, and I really like the idea of doing a full lottery.

The team that finishes dead last gets 15 balls, second last 14 balls, etc.., up until the team that had the most points getting a single ball.

Balls are drawn from the machine one at a time. The first team to have all its balls drawn gets the 15th pick and so on up the line.

Even that roughed up idea would be much more exciting to watch as well. I really don't understand why they can't make it a better television spectacle. Even if they just showed the tape of them doing the draw live instead of just opening envelopes, that would be an improvement.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC

The other thing, while wildly unpopular, even if does make mathematical sense, is to expand the playoffs.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

I don't like the randomized lottery for the non-playoff teams at all. The 2010 Rangers should not have had the same odds as the Oilers that year. Then you take into consideration the Habs that year got 1 more point or so and would have been guaranteed a middle of the road pick. I get that they were rewarded with the playoffs and even won 2 rounds but generally speaking it just shows you how relatively good the Rangers were for a non -playoff team.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I don't like the randomized lottery for the non-playoff teams at all. The 2010 Rangers should not have had the same odds as the Oilers that year. Then you take into consideration the Habs that year got 1 more point or so and would have been guaranteed a middle of the road pick. I get that they were rewarded with the playoffs and even won 2 rounds but generally speaking it just shows you how relatively good the Rangers were for a non -playoff team.

Perhaps a completely randomized lottery is too much, but it does in fact remove any premise for tanking.

I think the easily solution is to simply expand the draft lottery to the top 5-10... I think that's pretty fair. Again, it would suck if you came in dead last then got leapfrogged 10 times, but at the same time, law of averages should dictate you'll probably leapfrog some other teams the following year...

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
How can you say tank chasing is not a viable strategy when all the recent stanley cup champs ALL TANKED. Pitt, Chicago, Los Angeles ALL TANKED. Every single one of them has multiple elite scorers. That is not a coincidence. That is what you need to win. We are living proof of that. If we had had just one guy like that. JUST ONE. During our recent run we would have at least 2 cups. But we never picked high enough. We never had a chance at that level of player. If someone like even Barkov was our first line center we would have one. Hell imagine Tavares as our top player. We would have won twice. We haven't had a guy since Jagr break 70 pts. That's in 10 years. That's ****ing pathetic. And people here still want to win meaningless games that only prevent us from getting the players that will help us win the games that count that we proved we could not win without guys like that.

This isn't an acurate reflection of things though. We had Cherry and Tarasenko. One died and the other we mind bogglingly went and botched the pick on probably the second biggest draft mistake in the franchise's history.

We also missed Giroux although every1 knows, in fairness that Sanguinetti was a perfectly valid pick at the time.

We had Gaborik, we had Nash, we had Jagr.

Sure seems like an awful lot of chances at guys for something that's supposedly only found at the top of the 1st round.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->