Post-Game Talk: New York Rangers at Anaheim Ducks - January 23/24

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
G1F1ECN.jpg
I know you're trying to fight the good fight, but sometimes it ain't worth it.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
lots of good discussion about the pros and cons of who should/should not get benched. Very frustrating to see our team play this way.

When you are down by a goal or two, shouldn't the decision be made to play your most offensively gifted players? Shouldn't there be a push to overwhelm in the offensive zone? You have your leading goal scorer...the guy that cut to the deficit to 3-4.....getting less icetime than Peter freaking Holland. Less icetime than Fast, Carey (by almost 2 minutes), and Desharnais! If you are gonna bench Just Turnovers & Vesey, you would think that at least some of that icetime would be given to your leading goal scorer.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
And there is the key to the whole defensive problem.....we have a coach who will not let players play their game or even adjust HIS system to their strengths.

I don't know about that. I'll try to explain. Skjei is a great skater. He is ALLOWED to lug the puck into the offensive zone by himself. He has done this on many occasions. So AV and the staff are, indeed, playing to one of Skjei's strengths.

The problem is, many times, once Skjei has gained the offensive zone -- even behind the net! -- the logical thing is for the forwards to give him support so that he can peel back to the point. This is not the case in the man-to-man system. Skjei is ALLOWED to become the forward and one of the forwards covers his defense spot.

When the play in the offensive zone disintegrates because of whatever reason, the forward has the defenseman's responsibility. Skjei hustles on the backcheck, but there always seem to be confusion about who he is supposed to pick up because of the propensity to play man on man. Once the other team's players make a fast switch on a cycle play or something, our coverage is shat up the creek.

Another oftentimes scenario is when a dman like Skjei is deep in the offensive zone, the puck cannot be shot wide for a carom to be picked up by the other team for an odd-man rush the way. Yet our shooters are terrible at hitting the net when we actually have a good offensive opportunity. Instead we get burned the other way.

The system is also predicated on keeping an offensive zone play/pressure alive, and the defensemen over-aggressively pinch, many times skating as far down as into the corners to keep the puck alive. The same scenarios then happen: we lose the puck and we're caught the other way. Defensemen are constantly scrambling back in our system.

The system is wrong, that's fact.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
AV refusing to bench a player.

OMG how much of a leash can one player get? Fire AV.

AV benches a player for playing like crap.

OMG what is wrong with AV. Fire AV.

Never change HF.

Maybe others are whining, but I wholeheartedly agree with AV's decision to bench Miller and Vesey last night. I don't agree with what he does often either.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
lots of good discussion about the pros and cons of who should/should not get benched. Very frustrating to see our team play this way.

When you are down by a goal or two, shouldn't the decision be made to play your most offensively gifted players? Shouldn't there be a push to overwhelm in the offensive zone? You have your leading goal scorer...the guy that cut to the deficit to 3-4.....getting less icetime than Peter freaking Holland. Less icetime than Fast, Carey (by almost 2 minutes), and Desharnais! If you are gonna bench Just Turnovers & Vesey, you would think that at least some of that icetime would be given to your leading goal scorer.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Off Sides

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Maybe others are whining, but I wholeheartedly agree with AV's decision to bench Miller and Vesey last night. I don't agree with what he does often either.
I agree with benching them but not for the whole game when we're already down two top 6 players.

Bench them for period 2. But then it's a 1 goal game going into the 3rd, you need to play them.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
this road trip is the swan song for this group. missing the playoffs is now a reality.

AV MUST GO. FIRE AV. THATS THE FIRST STEP. enough of the AV thing.

sell off the assets and recoup players and picks.

the window has closed.

long live the king.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Too many people think benchings are about the game being played at that moment. Miller’s benching was caused by what he did last night, but it’s about the next game.

So the in-game situation of last night really has no bearing on the decision of whether to put him back in the game.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
It's amazing watching ADA's puck handling and skating ability. Something this team has sorely lacked is a defenseman who can escape forecheck pressure, make tape to tape passes coming out of his end, and in the offensive zone, keep plays alive with his feet instead of feeling some pressure and either throwing the puck away. Nice to watch him get better and better.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
ADA has always been a talented player.

AV banished him to hartford as he does with many young players.

ask Nucks fan about that.

no room here for a kid like ADA. must play holden and staal at all cost.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I will take the posts telling me it's a bad hot take, just as I did the last time I wrote it, ADA is a more involved defensive player than Shattenkirk.

That is not to say ADA is a good defensive player, or will not make just as many errors, but he actively tries to play defense with a purpose although his reads, both the play in question and game situation, are often very questionable.

Reactions: TheTakedown

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
ADA has always been a talented player.

AV banished him to hartford as he does with many young players.

ask Nucks fan about that.

no room here for a kid like ADA. must play holden and staal at all cost.

Why do you think ADA was sent away from his previous team? When a young puck-moving dman is jettisoned, it makes me wonder about him. It's not like the Rangers gave up gold for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->