New York Rangers - 90s dream team

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Thought it would be fun to combine the best player's from 1990 to 1999 who played for this team.

What i got:

Richter
Vanbiesbrouck

Leetch - Patrick
Karpovtsev - Zubov
Samuelsson - Beukeboom

Graves - Messier - Gartner
Robitaille - Gretzky - Kovalev
Mullen - Turcotte - Amonte
Tikkanen - Sundström - Verbeek

Discuss and make your own rosters.

Reactions: egelband

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Amonte-Messier-Kovalev
Graves-Gretzky-Gartner
Nemchinov-Larmer-Mullen
Tikkanen-Sundstrom-Matteau

Leetch-Beukeboom
Karpovtsev-Zubov
Driver-Patrick

Richter
JVB

No problem with Robitaille, Turcotte or Verbeek, but I wanted to throw Nemchinov and Larmer a bone because they were underrated Rangers. Matteau is just for the feels. I wanted Graves with Gretzky because they were absolute magic together after Messier left.

Bonus - Post lockout to today:

Straka-Nylander-Jagr
Kreider-Brassard-Zuccarello
Nash-Gomez-Stepan
Hagelin-Dubinsky-Avery

McDonagh-Stralman
Yandle-Rozsival
Staal-Shattenkirk

Reactions: egelband

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Graves-Messier-Amonte
Kovalev-Gretzky-Gartner
Tikanen-Weight-Verbeek
Erixon-Nemchinov-Sundstrom

Leetch-Beukeboom
Samuelsson-Zubov
Nordstrom-Patrick

Richter
Vanbiesbrouck

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
Graves-Messier-Amonte
Kovalev-Gretzky-Gartner
Tikanen-Weight-Verbeek
Erixon-Nemchinov-Sundstrom

Leetch-Beukeboom
Samuelsson-Zubov
Nordstrom-Patrick

Richter
Vanbiesbrouck

Love to get Larmer and Lowe in there somewhere, but this is pretty spot on to me.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Love to get Larmer and Lowe in there somewhere, but this is pretty spot on to me.

I didn't realize until I really thought about it, how much more I liked the RWs than the LWs on most of those 90s times (with the exception of Graves).

I guess it would be a lot different if they managed to acquire Shanahan one of the two times they could've/should've.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Can't really argue with that either. Points that I would make:

1. Of course Gretzky is there. How can he not be However, as his tenure was so short (and I realize I maybe making a mistake by the wing side), for a 90's built playoff team, if no Gretzky, Weight slides to #2, I would have Lapperieire as the 3rd line center and Marchant as the 4th line center. And Domi as opposed to Sunny.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Could've been an interesting pairing if they weren't involved in the same trade.

Also have Tik and Weight playing together in a weird sense of irony.

Nedved should've gotten at least an HM. The Czechmates was one of a few bright spots in the post-97 darkness.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Nedved should've gotten at least an HM. The Czechmates was one of a few bright spots in the post-97 darkness.

Gave him some thought, but went with Kovy and Weight.

There were a few other guys who I liked, but ultimately didn't make the final cut: Larmer, Mullen, Nicholls, Turcotte, Lowe, Marchant, MacTavish, Karpovtsev, LaFontaine.

It broke my heart to cut Peter Fiorentino.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Personally I'd take Larmer over Amonte, Gartner and Verbeek. Steve had a better all around game than any of those three and provided a lot of offense besides. Sundstrom wouldn't even be in the conversation. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Larmer in the HOF one day. That guy was a hell of a hockey player. I like Edge's D though and I like the Jan Erixon pick too.

Graves-Messier-Kovalev
Robitaille-Gretzky-Gartner
Tikkanen-Lafontaine-Larmer
Erixon-Weight-Amonte

Leetch-Beukeboom
Samuelsson-Zubov
Norstrom-Patrick

Richter
Van Biesbrouck

....and he only played 14 games for us but what about Jari Kurri and technically you could fit Theo Fleury in too.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I tended to approach this question by trying to build a team with guys who might be able to fill certain roles and compete, as opposed to more of an all-star team approach.

I also tried to walk a fine line of balancing the player they were with the Rangers and the player they were for the decade.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I wonder why Italy has not tried to build a National team with Americans and Canadians of Italian heritage from NHL. Some of their players are exactly that but these are more AHL/ECHL level players.

Blais to Win

Dec 16, 2009
Gretzky/Gartner? Oh I would have liked that quite a bit.

Where’s Pat LaFontaine? He deserves to center a line after Mess and Gretz.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Did we forget about Bernie Nicholls. 475 Goals and 1200 points. He had a 70 goal season!

I played in a charity game with him yesterday. Also with Duguay, Matteau, Orr, Janssens and Kostopolous. John Amirante sang the national anthem and Rod Gilbert coached! It was awesome!

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Did we forget about Bernie Nicholls. 475 Goals and 1200 points. He had a 70 goal season!

I played in a charity game with him yesterday. Also with Duguay, Matteau, Orr, Janssens and Kostopolous. John Amirante sang the national anthem and Rod Gilbert coached! It was awesome!

Yes I did forget about Bernie Nicholls---good catch. Petr Nedved's out there too but I don't think he makes it anyway.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I like Edge's D though and I like the Jan Erixon pick too.
Forgetting which side he played on, much as I like Patrick, I would have taken Tinordi instead (especially when based on the 90's game). Erixon deserves to be on any team. Great, great, great defensive forward. Just ask Maryo.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Didn't include Nedved because his best years as a Ranger, including the Czechmates, came in the 2000's.

He had a cup of coffee with the team in '95 and rejoined the team in '99 missing half the season due to injury.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Messier wasn't a fan of Nedved's. Messier thought he got pushed around too much.....and I can remember Lindros flattening Nedved right off a face-off. FWIW I always kind of admired Nedved--what he did walking away from his Czech team as a 16-17 year old asking for asylum in Canada that took a lot of guts. When you think he's cut himself off from home and family maybe forever. But truth is he wasn't a player who was all that hard to play against and in the 90's the game was a whole lot gnarlier than it is today. Petr was ahead of his time......if he were playing today he'd be Ryan Johansen and everyone would be fine with him.

Tinordi's a good choice too. He had some really good years. A guy like Norstrom was a great stay at home guy back then but I think he'd have problems today. I once owned one of his game jerseys and that guy was about my heighth but had a lot shorter arms. Back then you could crosscheck and interfere and grab hold a lot more than you can now. Wing span and stick length for a defenseman is a much bigger deal today.

Tikkanen and Samuelsson on the same team would drive other team's wild.

AKA Chief

Sep 29, 2017
Thought it would be fun to combine the best player's from 1990 to 1999 who played for this team.

What i got:

Richter
Vanbiesbrouck

Leetch - Patrick
Karpovtsev - Zubov
Samuelsson - Beukeboom

Graves - Messier - Gartner
Robitaille - Gretzky - Kovalev
Mullen - Turcotte - Amonte
Tikkanen - Sundström - Verbeek

Discuss and make your own rosters.

Question: Are we talking about players who played their best during that period of time for the Rangers or are you just talking about players who went on to become great players once they left NY?

If it's the former, then John Ogrodnick should probably be there over Amonte.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Matthew Barnaby deserves an honorable mention. Can't really get him into the line up, but liked him a lot. The story of him and Odelien is worth it by itself to mention him.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
if nedved played one more year with us in the 90s id have him in there. was a big nedved fan when he was here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad