New York Lacrosse TV Ratings Higher Than NHL

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
(Kind of old, but I just found it)

http://www.laxpower.com/laxnews/news.php?story=4711

New York Titans Lacrosse TV Ratings Beat the NHL

Saturday night's New York Titans vs. Rochester Knighthawks National Lacrosse League game on Sportsnet New York (SNY) registered a higher Nielsen television rating than its head-to-head competition, the New York Islanders hockey on Fox Sport New York (FSNY) and the New Jersey Devils hockey on MSG.

The Titans-Knighthawks game – won by 22-18 by Rochester – earned a .14 rating on SNY for its 8:00 pm to 10:15 pm Saturday telecast. The NHL Islanders vs. Buffalo Sabres game on FSNY from 7:00 pm to 9:45 pm on Saturday earned a .11 rating. The New Jersey Devils game against Florida on MSG from 7:30 pm to 10:00 pm earned a .01 rating, according to Nielsen.

In the game against the Knighthawks, Rochester's John Grant set an NLL record with 15 points, registering nine goals and six assists. See the game story on the News Page.

A crowd of 13,127 attended the Titans home opener, an 11-9 win over the Chicago Shamrox on Jan. 20, the first-ever lacrosse game at Madison Square Garden. The Titans next home game will be February 17, 8:00 p.m. at Madison Square Garden against the Minnesota Swarm.

For more information on the New York Titans, go to www.nytitans.com

Well, atleast the Rangers get better attendance. :dunno:

dok101

Jan 2, 2006
New York
Yeah, but it is very popular on Long Island.

Yes, it certainly is. Lacrosse is very big here. You can bet that the 12-22 male demographic was well represented in that lacrosse tv rating. Unfortunately, that is probably the NHL's prime target as well.

Pens75

Pens Fan Since 1975
Jul 30, 2005
Duquesne Gardens
Knighthawks game - earned a .14 rating
NHL Islanders - earned a .11 rating
New Jersey Devils - earned a .01 rating

Here are some average numbers to compare to the numbers above...

- Islanders average 7,336 viewers a game
- Devils average 13,206 viewers a game (based on a .18 rating)
- Rangers average 36,834 viewers a game

#3 in U.S. = Pittsburgh average viewer rating is 4.0
#2 in U.S. = Detroit
#1 in U.S. = Buffalo average viewer rating is 7.0

(NOTE: these are local ratings, how many people watch their hometown team.)

So the "New York Titans Lacrosse TV Ratings Beat the NHL" is misleading.

How convenient for them to pick a night when Buffalo NY isn't playing. Rochester Knighthawks? Please.

Buffalo 7.0 rating >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Rochester .14 rating :biglaugh:

Last edited:

jerseydevil

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
The Devils had a game that only saw 700 some odd people watch it the other day.

I have alot of trouble buying that one..I saw the report too..but the Devils average 13-14,000 households watching every game on tv..How does that go to 700?? It's just a very strange figure..doens't make sense at all..

ScottyBowman

Mar 10, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
I have alot of trouble buying that one..I saw the report too..but the Devils average 13-14,000 households watching every game on tv..How does that go to 700?? It's just a very strange figure..doens't make sense at all..

Yeah, something is fishy there. I think they may have made a mistake that night.

Muttley*

This topic has been brought up several times in various Forums. Television ratings in the New York metropolitan area are difficult to discern due to various geographical divisions
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=341760

Reposts from that thread:

"The New Jersey Devils are not a New York team. Why would you look at New York's television ratings for a New Jersey Devils game? The Devils are not the home team in New York City, half of New Jersey, Long Island and Southern Connecticut. The ratings for the Devils are taken from ALL these areas and compressed into one number. It's being watered down. That's like looking at Montreal for Ottawa Senator television ratings.

Those ratings of 750 are an average. Ratings are mesaured in shares which is a percentage of total viewers. There is no way to just measure viewership just in New Jersey, without including New York City, a portion of New Jersey close to Philadelphia, Long Island and Connecticut. We don't know what the actual number is just for NJ.
"

"Skewed statistics. The Neilson ratings are for the entire New York metropolitan area as a whole. This includes many sub-areas that cannot be measured seperately. New Yorkers don't consider the Devils or even the Islandes as their home team.

These sub areas-include:

much of New Jersey (already split among Devils, NYR & Flyers fans)

the entire City of New York, (NYR fans)

Long Island/Nassau & Suffolk County, NY (New York Islanders fans)

Fairfield County, CT. (NYR fans)

So to measure the ratings of a particular Devils game, it would include people living in areas where they are not considered the 'home' team, thus watering down the percentage of total viewership.
"

nyrmessier011

Feb 9, 2005
Charlotte/NYC
just idiotic to even be mentioned

nonsense thread and article. a saturday night NLL game in New York's first season barely beat an ISLANDERS GAME and beat a DEVILS game. not to be a dick, but look at what your comparing here. bottom line is .11 is ****, just like a .14 is ****. it's like comparing two pieces of **** and seeing which smells worse. if the NLL game had a 1.8 and the isles still a .11 i'd worry about the NLL having some type of revolution, but give me a break. 25 other NHL markets would make a laugher at the biggest market in the countries lacrosse game. even a broken clock is right twice a day.

krudmonk

Jan 12, 2006
Sannozay
So if we can't look at NYC metro for Devils television numbers, can we call the Devils a small market team? I doubt most people would. It can't work both ways, though.

Muttley*

So if we can't look at NYC metro for Devils television numbers, can we call the Devils a small market team? I doubt most people would. It can't work both ways, though.

who said they're a small market team?

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Thank god for Gary Bettman and his incredible marketing skills. :rolleyes:

I don't know... as much as I love lacrosse, I think the NLL is a terrible product. The in-game music and other gimmicks have really turned me off. Sure, the NHL markets themselves poorly. However, I don't want to see them resorting to bigger nets (which the NLL did) and turn the games into crappy rock anthem concerts. Hockey plays enough terrible music after the whistle... what ever happened to the classic organ music? Beats the heck out of hearing some BS like Cotton eyed Joe for the 32295478213427 time.

It's a tough balance to reach out to broader audiences without alienating your current fan base. So far, I think the NHL has done well to move in that direction, in terms of the on-ice product.

Bonehead moves like paying for NHL TV ads to remind the viewer that the NHL is back DURING NHL GAMES (uhhh... thanks? I'm watching the game. I know it's back.) are possibly the biggest parts of the problem.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
I second the Organ music. I hate hearing songs like Crazy Train... makes me feel like a hick.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
nonsense thread and article. a saturday night NLL game in New York's first season barely beat an ISLANDERS GAME and beat a DEVILS game. not to be a dick, but look at what your comparing here. bottom line is .11 is ****, just like a .14 is ****. it's like comparing two pieces of **** and seeing which smells worse. if the NLL game had a 1.8 and the isles still a .11 i'd worry about the NLL having some type of revolution, but give me a break. 25 other NHL markets would make a laugher at the biggest market in the countries lacrosse game. even a broken clock is right twice a day.

I just thought it was sad that they would even be CLOSE. I wasn't trying to ensue that the NLL is more popular or anything like that. I was just stunned that Islanders ratings would be so low. (Devils ratings were alittle more believable. Especially considering they're not a New York team).

Like you said, it's like comparing **** to ****. But the fact that the NHL has **** to compare to other **** is what's bothersome.

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Thank god for Gary Bettman and his incredible marketing skills. :rolleyes:

I was not aware that Gary Bettman was the head of and every member of the marketing department for the NHL. Does he even have a background in marketing?

The "blame Bettman for everything" posts are getting old. They don't even make sense.

"my house burned down - damn you Bettman!"

OpAck

Feb 19, 2004
Wilmington, NC
I was just stunned that Islanders ratings would be so low. (Devils ratings were alittle more believable. Especially considering they're not a New York team).

They may be getting really low ratings...but they certainly have one of the most lopsided cable TV deals in sports. Cablevision, which extended the agreement with the Isles through 2030, pays the Isles $12-$17 million a year. The amount does not change based on ratings or performance...in fact, it supposed to increase during the span of the deal.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
SNY is available in both markets.. rochester and new york would be on seperate networks if it were an NHL situation since blackout restrictions would apply.. so it is true.. but also misleading to think a regional network that has access to both teams markets would beat out a team with only one teams market in an area where 3 teams compete for fan viewership.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad