New World Cup Trophy unveiled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
IslandTrash said:
Remember back in the day when trophies could be recognized as trophies? I'd get confused and start looking for a place to plug that thing in.

What he said.

It's intresting, but I like the old one.

I wish they would still call it the Canada Cup.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
I definitely liked it when it was the Canada Cup...and I am not Canadian. I guess they wanted it to be universal and not tied to one place, because apparently in today's world, it can't really be a championship if it is not called World Champ or something. Since they changed it to World Cup, they need to change the name of the World Championships to "Best players not in the NHL at the time of the playoffs trophy." At least the World Cup will allow for the best players from each country to play.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Toonces said:
I wish they would still call it the Canada Cup.

Amen. I loved that sort of half Maple Leaf trophy they had, it was cool and unique. Just like the tournament itself used to be unique to Canada. Oh well.

~Canucklehead~

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
First of all, it should still be called the Canada Cup. We invented the tourney, created the sport and all other countries seem to think we are the team to beat going into this tourney every year so it is fitting they must take our Cup away from us.

Second, that is one damn ugly trophy.

Zhackpot

Feb 20, 2003
Texas
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
I say USA has the best shot at winning Master Gardeners of the Year, they get alot of practice with the nice weather down south.

:lol:

That's what you get when you let an artist transfer his/her interpretation of the game into something.

When you have to explain the components and what it all means and represents you're in trouble ("the clear stuff is like skate marks in the ice.").

That said, it's still a hell of a lot more creative than the Lombardi trophy (Big Silver Football) or the Larry O'Brien trophy (Big gold basketball on the rim of a KFC bucket). Plus it looks easier to drink out of (maybe his knowledge of hockey players and the game really did help?)

Last edited:

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Pantokrator said:
I definitely liked it when it was the Canada Cup...and I am not Canadian. I guess they wanted it to be universal and not tied to one place, because apparently in today's world, it can't really be a championship if it is not called World Champ or something. Since they changed it to World Cup, they need to change the name of the World Championships to "Best players not in the NHL at the time of the playoffs trophy." At least the World Cup will allow for the best players from each country to play.
Hmmm, there is just one tiny little problem. The World Championships is staged by IIHF and has nothing to do with the NHL and their World Cup. It will never be a true World Cup as long as the playoffs always is staged in North America. What if the winner of each World Cup get´s to stage the playoffs in the next tournament?

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
Alberta Hab Fan said:
Here's the 1996 one. They shoulda kept this one if you ask me.

http://www.canoe.ca/HockeyWorldCupImages/worldcuptrophy.jpg

The new one looks like cheap plastic. :shakehead

I dunno, with the red and blue plastic-looking players on the top, the old one looks really cheap to me. Personally I like the old style (at least it's recognizable as a trophy) but perhaps they could have made the two hockey figures in metalicized red and blue so it didn't look so cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad