New Uniforms?

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
Av-merican said:
Certainly beats the current black ones they sport...those are God-awful.

I wish the Kings would ditch their current look as well...either a change back to the gaudy Dionne/Taylor years with the purple-and-gold or the cool silver-and-black simplicity of the Gretzky era. The current look tries to straddle both eras and just ends up looking silly.
I kind of like the current LA Kings color scheme. The original colors were stolen from the LA Lakers, and the silver and black was taken from the then-LA Raiders.

LadyStanley said:
League prohibited any team from making a change the first season after the lock out, as a nod to the fan (to not "gouge" them in "forcing" fans to purchase new jerseys).

Sounds like until November 2005, the league was pushing, through the requirement of going with RBK as the jersey maker, for all teams to tweak their presentation with "form fitting" jerseys, etc.

I've heard the Sharks were very upset with what was presented for them as it introduced red into the color scheme.
That is interesting information. The thought crossed my mind about the cost to the fans. I understand the league's fear that it might backfire on a team.

I don't like the looks of the form-fitting jerseys. They are too unhockey like for my tastes. I can't see Lou Lamoriell, who won't use an alternate sweater because he doesn't like the break from tradition, going along with the idea unless the league forces it on everyone.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'd hate for the NHL to become as hidebound to tradition as baseball, but I really hate the idea of the form fitting jerseys (and alot of our fans don't have form to fit). There is so much broke with the game why fix what ain't.

katodelder

Apr 22, 2004
Interesting thread.

Some thoughts:

I'd hate to see Detroit adopt a third jersey unless it was strictly vintage like Montreal's or Toronto's.

Agreed the Caps should go back to red, white & blue but with a better logo (eagle rather than the spelled out word 'Capitals' perhaps?) and a better design than the old one had.

Hope silver doesn't go along for the ride when Buffalo switches back to blue and gold, and hope the blue isn't too dark: would look too much like Nashville.

Hope Anaheim doesn't go orange and black or make their logo look like Atlanta's. Since they're only tweaking their name rather than completely changing it, they should just tweak their jesreys rather than overhaul them. I think the logo's gotta go, but the eggplant and jade colours were unique. Agreed their third jerseys (which pretty much became their home jerseys during the playoffs) do look pretty snazzy.

After Atlanta makes its third jersey its home jersey, I could see more teams going with two-toned blue soon. A Pittsburgh old-school third jersey could be next in line in that vein.

One third jersey I'm not a fan of which I don't think has been mentioned yet is Minnesota's. Reminds one of X-mas.

Cool to hear Vancouver will make their vintage jersey their third. One thing I did like about their now discontinued third jersey was the gradual fade it had from navy to maroon. I could see this concept of gradual fade taking hold in the near future with many more jerseys. A design concept with great potential, IMO.

AEKaki

Stevedude530 said:
I think all 3rd jerseys should be banned.

If the 'Canes do a 3rd jersey, it better just be (a la the Blackhawks) a black version of their regular jerseys.

I dont understand...
Why banned?

A 3rd jersey is good. More money to the NHL.
Also, it's nice to see new things.
Obviously keeping whats original is good too, but whats wrong with 3 jerseys? Every sport does it...

Evil Genius

Mar 24, 2006
ATL
David Puddy said:
I made this concept using Andrew M. Greenstein's nhluniforms.com renderings. I swapped the black for blue and the red for gold while maintaining the aggressive, modern design.

I was surprised that some teams didn't make a change after the lockout. It would have been a natural time for change.

Those are pretty sharp. good work.

In The Flesh

Apr 26, 2006
I have seen them, but I don't know if they were ever worn, how about a red rangers jersey, and maybe go back to the diagonal New York, sometimes, I think they did that in the 70's

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
Buffalo: The blue and gold were perfect, and the updated design on the old logo floating around the internet will make it pretty good. Even if the team would just use the crossed swords logo from the current 3rds it would work.

DC: An eagle would work, but even the Capitol Dome in RWB would work.

Atlanta: God no. Those light blue monstrosities should be burned

Anaheim: If the new logo is what's floating around the internet, it looks too much like the old Nintendo 'Duckhunt' game. Orange makes sense though, due to the whole OC thing...

Pittsburgh: Wheeling (Pens ECHL) has a 'Vegas Gold' third, and the Pens have sold vegas gold versions of the current jersey. I'd like to see the Powder Blue vintage as the third.

Carolina: Always thought swapping the logos on a black jersey, with the hurricane flag trim would be one heck of a jersey.

Phoenix: Not sure who said about the 'desert sand' but how about a Phoenix third jersey that would use 'sand' as the primary color - like the San Diego Padres use on the road? Basically switch the white jersey to sand, and keep the brick red.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :sarcasm:

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
David Puddy said:
I kind of like the current LA Kings color scheme. The original colors were stolen from the LA Lakers, and the silver and black was taken from the then-LA Raiders.

wrong and wrong.

When the Kings came into the NHL, Jack Kent Cooke owned both the Lakers and Kings, so they had the same color jerseys. (I must add the Lakers Sunday white jerseys are U-G-L-Y!!) The Kings did not steal the Lakers colors.

When the Kings went to silver/black, no other team in the NHL was silver/black. They also had a new owner, Bruce McNall, who wanted to show they were different than the Lakers. Do the Raiders own everything silver/black?

David Puddy

Nov 15, 2003
New Jersey, USA
Visit site
Butch 19 said:
wrong and wrong.

When the Kings came into the NHL, Jack Kent Cooke owned both the Lakers and Kings, so they had the same color jerseys. (I must add the Lakers Sunday white jerseys are U-G-L-Y!!) The Kings did not steal the Lakers colors.

When the Kings went to silver/black, no other team in the NHL was silver/black. They also had a new owner, Bruce McNall, who wanted to show they were different than the Lakers. Do the Raiders own everything silver/black?
I apologize for using the word "steal." It wasn't meant with malice. I had forgotten that Jack Kent Cooke also owned the Lakers. I do recall the story of him having had placed on the seats at the Great Western Forum something congratulating the Lakers on becomeing NBA Champions only to have the Boston Celtics win the title.

Also, do you know if the Lakers wore gold prior to the Kansas City Athletics adopting gold and and kelly green in 1963?

The silver and black may very well have been "inspired" by the Los Angeles Raiders, so I only deserved one "wrong." They had been playing in the City of Angles for almost five years when the Kings went to black and silver. I do like those uniforms, but the current color scheme has grown on me. Purple is a color that has long been associated with royalty, so it is a fitting color.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Butch 19 said:
wrong and wrong.

No but ironicaly most of their fans are thieves.

blamebettman*

Which Bruins vintage jersey will be there alternate? The Orr era jersey or the Neely/Bourque era? Both look very nice.

blamebettman*

Dr. kØUkLØs said:
I dont understand...
Why banned?

A 3rd jersey is good. More money to the NHL.
Also, it's nice to see new things.
Obviously keeping whats original is good too, but whats wrong with 3 jerseys? Every sport does it...

the NHL is a sport first and foremost that needs to maintain its integrity. It needs to be less money grubbing, willing to tear down tradition and dignity for a few extra bucks. The NHL has turned into a bush league because of this. 3rd jerseys are ugly, useless, ruin the identity of the team. perhaps a 5 year old or feeble minded adult would like them...but I prefer my team not to dress like idiots for the extra buck. we don't need the NHL to start looking like Nascar.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Stars are getting rid of their Mooterus jersey.

Not only are the flames getting rid of theirhHorse head jersey, but they are getting a new 3rd jersey.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
blamebettman said:
the NHL is a sport first and foremost that needs to maintain its integrity. It needs to be less money grubbing, willing to tear down tradition and dignity for a few extra bucks. The NHL has turned into a bush league because of this. 3rd jerseys are ugly, useless, ruin the identity of the team. perhaps a 5 year old or feeble minded adult would like them...but I prefer my team not to dress like idiots for the extra buck. we don't need the NHL to start looking like Nascar.

Baseball and basketball have third jerseys and they wear pyjamas in Nascar.

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
David Puddy said:
Or would it be more awsome to see Ovechkin in this, my Washinton Capitals concept jersey?

Not bad, but you need a few tweeks.

On the blue (home) and red (alternate) you need to have the numbers, name and shoulders be white, not blue or red.

On the white (away) jersey the name and numbers should be blue, not red.

I think this would closer resemble the vintage Caps jerseys.

Transported Upstater

David Puddy said:
I made this concept using Andrew M. Greenstein's nhluniforms.com renderings. I swapped the black for blue and the red for gold while maintaining the aggressive, modern design.

I was surprised that some teams didn't make a change after the lockout. It would have been a natural time for change.

I like it.

Spungo*

Hasbro said:
I'd hate for the NHL to become as hidebound to tradition as baseball, but I really hate the idea of the form fitting jerseys (and alot of our fans don't have form to fit). There is so much broke with the game why fix what ain't.

This has been said a million times, but here goes. Unless you are wearing hockey equipement, the jerseys are not form fitting.

If you plan to wear hockey jerseys without equipement, you should be all for the new jerseys as they look MUCH better on fans than todays jerseys do.

Stevedude530

Dec 21, 2005
That's what the practice threads are for. They're form fitting, and they sell well.

The NHL doesn't need it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->