New type of penalty - penalized player must start the play at the opposite end of the ice goal line

Status
Not open for further replies.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
What type of minor infractions might this be an acceptable "penalty" ?

Note: the penalized player cannot touch the puck until they skate to the face off end blue line. (to prevent an easy breakaway).

If you don't like this penalty ... what "new" penalty could be useful for what situation ?

The NHL is getting rid of players with their legs over the boards waiting to change:

One immediate change will see players get a warning and then a penalty for hanging their legs over the bench during play. This is a tactic widely employed when players change on the fly, but a recent injury to an official prompted this adjustment, according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.

maybe this could be a more effective "warning" ?

Last edited:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think they should just ban players from putting their legs over the boards and not do the rest.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
Why would you take away that breakaway potential? That part is really exciting.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
It was 29 degrees F when I got up this morning. It's hard to believe that it's already summer. This climate change thing really is messing up my internal clock...

Reactions: banks

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I think this is stupid, that breakaway potential is your reward for killing off a penalty and building momentum, and it only happens like 2% of the time

Reactions: banks

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I think this is stupid, that breakaway potential is your reward for killing off a penalty
the player MUST skate from the goal line to the far blue line - regardless - and not touch the puck until he does. So not much breakaway potential.

You are allowed 2 face off infractions per period. After that all face off infractions result in the opposite end of the ice penalty. (Goal: less face off nonsense).

AUAIOMRN

Aug 22, 2005
Edmonton
then the penalty feels like an advantage !

you aren't wrong.

Name a better "penalty lite" ?

The non-penalized team gets to start in the offensive zone with possession (skipping the faceoff). There would be some rules about where players from both teams could be when play starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad