NEW: Cam Robinson Talks Sharks Prospects: Who Might Be Better Than Smith? His 2024 Draft Favorites?

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007

This is what I got for now, but likely to change a lot over the next few months:

mnP-C7F-EoAGt7goDUOV4czEQ9ZhqqyZ6Wz8zQAwQ0DFAqj7rtWip8qUSEGl28wyezKmqz8LIvkeBlhhE99BAd-inV4w2iLA4IejzjqK2klz1-H9sOdKhIS6qB1CRLxbdL6DVjdUJYS1JKD_ClCPh1I

I was surprised you put the three forwards above all the D -- and that Konsta was so high. How did you parse all this out? (I did listen to the podcast, just curious if there's any more thinking behind it!) Gut sense? Is this your list AND what you think the Sharks should do?

Reactions: Sandisfan

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I was surprised you put the three forwards above all the D -- and that Konsta was so high. How did you parse all this out? (I did listen to the podcast, just curious if there's any more thinking behind it!) Gut sense? Is this your list AND what you think the Sharks should do?
I really like Helenius. I think there's a very solid chance he's an impact NHLer. Detail oriented, reads the play exceptionally well, very quick thinker, great skater. People sleep on him because he doesn't dazzle and bully junior competition. He plays an NHL ready game rather than just dominating with his skill. That being said he doesn't have the skill level of those other forwards like Catton, Celebrini, Demidov, or the physical profile and compete level of Lindstrom so he goes a bit below.

The defensive ranking is kind of a work in progress. I like Levshunov in the same tier as the top end forwards, and he might end up higher than a few of them in the end. I am struggling with putting Silayev/Parekh/Buium/Dickinson/Yakemchuk in that same tier as those four. It's possible that Buium/Parekh sneak into the second tier but I doubt Dickinson/Silayev/Yak move into it. I think there are just too many question marks with developing them into top pairing guys. Doesn't mean it can't happen though. The defensive group is super good this year and some are bound to exceed expectations. Even guys like Jiricek and Kiviharju have super good pedigree and just got dragged down rankings this year because of injury concerns at key development times.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I really like Helenius. I think there's a very solid chance he's an impact NHLer. Detail oriented, reads the play exceptionally well, very quick thinker, great skater. People sleep on him because he doesn't dazzle and bully junior competition. He plays an NHL ready game rather than just dominating with his skill. That being said he doesn't have the skill level of those other forwards like Catton, Celebrini, Demidov, or the physical profile and compete level of Lindstrom so he goes a bit below.

The defensive ranking is kind of a work in progress. I like Levshunov in the same tier as the top end forwards, and he might end up higher than a few of them in the end. I am struggling with putting Silayev/Parekh/Buium/Dickinson/Yakemchuk in that same tier as those four. It's possible that Buium/Parekh sneak into the second tier but I doubt Dickinson/Silayev/Yak move into it. I think there are just too many question marks with developing them into top pairing guys. Doesn't mean it can't happen though. The defensive group is super good this year and some are bound to exceed expectations. Even guys like Jiricek and Kiviharju have super good pedigree and just got dragged down rankings this year because of injury concerns at key development times.
Was curious about Catton. I haven't looked into him that much but I saw some comments on him being a bit of a one man army as both a pro and a con. Like in reference to how he carries his WHL team but he wasn't very effective at the U18 WJC with similar level talent around him. Some were chalking it down to an IQ issue. So was wondering what you thought about that.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Pierre basically tried to walk back his bullshit and then they both shrugged on what they would do differently other than "signing better vets" which is basically dumb as f***.

The only thing that made any sense was surrounding identity building. But thats exsactly what Grier is trying to do......

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Guys, were you aware that goal differential is important?! Shock! Amaze!
My favorite part was “director is just a title! You can have player development guys even if you don’t have a director” okay maybe but like we have over doubled that department.

Kcoyote3

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I think in the beginning they were thinking we were a bunch of rubes and we came to an understanding that we may know a thing or two about the Sharks lol. Overall Pierre and Jimmy were a different perspective than we normally get on the podcast but it was a bit strange. They didn’t really have an argument or an overarching plan just that the Sharks are bad and out veteran presence is nonexistent and needs to be fixed. Which is in fact both true.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I think in the beginning they were thinking we were a bunch of rubes and we came to an understanding that we may know a thing or two about the Sharks lol. Overall Pierre and Jimmy were a different perspective than we normally get on the podcast but it was a bit strange. They didn’t really have an argument or an overarching plan just that the Sharks are bad and out veteran presence is nonexistent and needs to be fixed. Which is in fact both true.
That pod irritated the f*** out of me, like it made me hostile in unreasonable ways lol

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
That pod irritated the f*** out of me, like it made me hostile in unreasonable ways lol
Same. I believe that one shouldn’t have inflammatory opinions on things you don’t know anything about. If they came in and made real points, I wouldn’t be upset. But they really didn’t have anything concrete except that the Sharks are bad. Which we are. No shit.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I generally don't have a strong opinion of Pierre on TV, he's just a goofy dude who loves hockey and I think people are pretty shitty toward him because of that which is unfair but man he was insufferable on this podcast.

If you feel like you're too good for the podcast why join? And everything out of his mouth was "look, I know a LOT of people in this league ok?"

Strong "listen here, son" vibes every time he opened his mouth which is such an incredibly disrespectful way to talk to people.

What the hell do you want them to do? The team sucks. No one will want to sign with them but also you need to sign some leaders to build a culture and also get high end players by not being bottom 5? Ok dude

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Pierre basically tried to walk back his bullshit and then they both shrugged on what they would do differently other than "signing better vets" which is basically dumb as f***.

The only thing that made any sense was surrounding identity building. But thats exsactly what Grier is trying to do......
Sign better vets...but then laugh at the suggestion of adding someone like Hanifin (they aren't wrong but still).

Alright guys, fold the franchise, it's over.

• Haha

fasterthanlight

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 30, 2009
Seattle, WA
Thanks for doing the interview @Kcoyote3 and sheng :) !

While I like Pierre's "I know everything about everyone in hockey" vibe, he does often appeal to authority --- e.g., Sheng brought up a point about Mike Grier having a greater focus than DW on player development and Pierre's response was "I know Mike Ricci!". I think he was defending Ricci's tenure with DW but he didn't use concrete examples, he was like "I know mike!!" which makes him a good storyteller but is a bit of a non-sequitur.

(he seems to do this a lot, like: he establishes his authority by citing random facts about players' hometowns or their draft number or "I know his parents" or whatever, and then uses that authority to hand-wave at unrelated things like goal differential)

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Thanks for doing the interview @Kcoyote3 and sheng :) !

While I like Pierre's "I know everything about everyone in hockey" vibe, he does often appeal to authority --- e.g., Sheng brought up a point about Mike Grier having a greater focus than DW on player development and Pierre's response was "I know Mike Ricci!". I think he was defending Ricci's tenure with DW but he didn't use concrete examples, he was like "I know mike!!" which makes him a good storyteller but is a bit of a non-sequitur.

(he seems to do this a lot, like: he establishes his authority by citing random facts about players' hometowns or their draft number or "I know his parents" or whatever, and then uses that authority to hand-wave at unrelated things like goal differential)

Maybe he knows goal differential’s dad?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Look at this, Pierre makes some dumb points, is irrationally inflammatory...and he gets clicks and media attention because of it. Had he said, like 95% of the hockey world, that Grier is doing a good job, would he have been invited to the podcast?

He has to be mocked and scorned.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
My instinct when I saw that Pierre was on as a guest from this thread title change was "this is not going to go well after his douchey pot shots at the org because somehow the rebuild is bad" and I didn't listen to it.

Based on the comments it seems like I made a reasonable choice.

That said, it would also seem that KCoyote and Sheng have the patience of saints, because if I was sitting there listening to Pierre "look here, kid" and appeal-to-authority his way through not actually answering questions or entertaining challenges to his view I probably would've snapped and said "so if you have all the answers why did the Senators fire you after less than a year as a VP of Player Development?"

Also, inquiring minds need to know: Did Pierre get paid in Baconators?

Maybe he knows goal differential’s dad?

He's been watching goal differential since it was playing in Skelleftea.

Kcoyote3

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
My instinct when I saw that Pierre was on as a guest from this thread title change was "this is not going to go well after his douchey pot shots at the org because somehow the rebuild is bad" and I didn't listen to it.

Based on the comments it seems like I made a reasonable choice.

That said, it would also seem that KCoyote and Sheng have the patience of saints, because if I was sitting there listening to Pierre "look here, kid" and appeal-to-authority his way through not actually answering questions or entertaining challenges to his view I probably would've snapped and said "so if you have all the answers why did the Senators fire you after less than a year as a VP of Player Development?"

Also, inquiring minds need to know: Did Pierre get paid in Baconators?
I think it's worth the listen just to see that patience in action.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad