New to Baseball (Questions, etc)

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I've been a baseball fan for forever, but just had something occur to me I am not sure about.

Situation: Pitcher makes his first appearance of the season, gives up a couple runs, but doesn't get anyone out, then gets pulled. How would you calculate his ERA? Cause he's allowed runs, but technically hasn't logged any innings?

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I haven't followed this thread so this question might already be asked. Why do pitchers warm up in the bullpen, but then warm up on the mound after. Aren't all mounds supposed to be standard and you should be used to throwing to your catcher. That would trim a minute at least if a pitcher just comes in and is ready to go.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I haven't followed this thread so this question might already be asked. Why do pitchers warm up in the bullpen, but then warm up on the mound after. Aren't all mounds supposed to be standard and you should be used to throwing to your catcher. That would trim a minute at least if a pitcher just comes in and is ready to go.

Different catchers bro. Gotta get that mind meld going

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Call this the Joey Votto question:

Why do some batters hit in one hand (no switch hitters) and throw with the other?

really just depends what they started doing as kids. most kids are righty batters, so its more likely that's what you'll do too.

I do everything left handed except hitting and putting (yes, left handed clubs, but righty putter)

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Im a relatively new baseball fan and this will be the first full season I will follow via sub to mlb.tv. The teams I follow because of reasons are the Braves and the Tigers. What Im wondering is what other games should I be on the lookout for? Big rival games, just pure quality games, you name it. In a nutshell, which games shouldnt I miss this season?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Im a relatively new baseball fan and this will be the first full season I will follow via sub to mlb.tv. The teams I follow because of reasons are the Braves and the Tigers. What Im wondering is what other games should I be on the lookout for? Big rival games, just pure quality games, you name it. In a nutshell, which games shouldnt I miss this season?

Well... probably best to re-evaluate that whole Tigers thing right now. They are legit awful. It is cliche but Yankees - Red Sox is always good to watch. This year they are both powerhouses so tune in when they're playing each other or separately. Astros, Angels have great teams. The NL is wide open this year. D-Backs are looking great though.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY

I would just say to look at the pitching matchups and go from there. If you are in a local market, the game will be blacked out.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Well... probably best to re-evaluate that whole Tigers thing right now. They are legit awful. It is cliche but Yankees - Red Sox is always good to watch. This year they are both powerhouses so tune in when they're playing each other or separately. Astros, Angels have great teams. The NL is wide open this year. D-Backs are looking great though.

WEll, I know Tigers are in rebuilding mode but they had a few nice games this season. Thanks for the pointers on the other teams.

I would just say to look at the pitching matchups and go from there. If you are in a local market, the game will be blacked out.

Im in Sweden so no blackouts. How do I know a good pitching match up from a bad one?

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
How much does wind, elevation & climate effect whether a ballpark is a hitter's park, pitcher's park or neutral (if the third option even exists)?

The wind blowing out (usually at Wrigley) obviously makes a difference. The ball carries more in hot and humid weather. And yes, there is such thing as a neutral park.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Stupid question:

There is a runner on first with one out, and a ground ball is hit to the shortstop. He takes it to the bag himself and then throws to first for the double play. It's scored as 6-6-3, right? I've heard both 6-6-3 and 6-3 from different announcers. I was under the impression that a 6-3 double play is (usually) a line out to short, and the first baseman catches the force out when the runner doesn't get back.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Stupid question:

There is a runner on first with one out, and a ground ball is hit to the shortstop. He takes it to the bag himself and then throws to first for the double play. It's scored as 6-6-3, right? I've heard both 6-6-3 and 6-3 from different announcers. I was under the impression that a 6-3 double play is (usually) a line out to short, and the first baseman catches the force out when the runner doesn't get back.

6-3. I've never heard or seen it notated any other way. The natural implication is that since the ball got from short to 1st that the shortstop records both an out and an assist and doesn't need to be notated twice.

Similarly let's say there's a play where there's a runner on first. The batter hits a line drive to the 1st baseman and the 1st baseman steps on the bag before the runner can return to 1st. I'd just record it as "3" rather than "3-3".

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Yeah it's a 6-3. Unless he throws it to himself :laugh:

The same number wouldn't be there twice in a row since they aren't throwing it to themselves.

Also, don't look it at as a "stupid question". The number stuff can get confusing.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Yeah it's a 6-3. Unless he throws it to himself :laugh:

The same number wouldn't be there twice in a row since they aren't throwing it to themselves.

Also, don't look it at as a "stupid question". The number stuff can get confusing.

Yup - now if it was an instance where the ball came back to him you'd add it. When you have rundowns between the bases you can oftentimes see it. I think the most complicated one I've scored in person was something like 5-6-5-6-5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad