New Red Line Report article...

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Marek Schwarz is the best goaltender in the draft.

Alvaro Montoya and Devan Dubnyk can battle for the #2 spot.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
These CSB rankings are being considered the most whacky of all-time.

There are NUMEROUS question marks throughout the rankings.

Two glaring mistakes I see... Travis Zajac at 20? That is almost laughable! All of my BCHL sources say without a doubt, Kris Chucko is a better prospect and Chucko is ranked very low.

Adam Pineault 21st? The much heralded Pineault has regularly been BENCHED over at Boston College. He only got into a game recently because BC was down bodies. He has seriously regressed in his development and would be wise not to opt-in to this year's draft, he SHOULD slide significantly if he does.

The question raised about Pineault has been this: Is he just coasting by this year so he can turn pro next year? His dad FORCED him to go to BC... Adam wanted to go to Moncton (QMJHL) because he felt that was his fastest track to the NHL.

So if Adam is just coasting to get to the draft... how much will this "coasting" hurt his career.

Once considered a sure-fire 1st rounder, talk is Adam could slip to the 3rd round.

A. He will lose a significant amount of $$$ that would be due to him as a 1st rounder.

B. He will be viewed upon as having an "attitude"/work ethic problem.

C. He'll have to re-dedicate himself because even if he is coasting, some of those skills have now re-gressed and the level that he is at now, is not pro-hockey worthy.

If I was Adam, A. I wouldn't be coasting this year and B. I wouldn't opt-in this year, I'd wait, get drafted next year then have 2 years of NCAA eligiblity left and play them out while developing in a great program at BC.

czechhockeyfan

Mar 8, 2003
Czech republic
Visit site
HabLover said:
How does Schwarz stay in the Top 5, never mind the Top 10??

The guy couldn't do it against Canada at the U18 tourney in April where Canada won gold and he was lit up in successive games at the World Juniors vs Canada, but still hangs in at #5.

I don't understand it??.....he's small and has too many holes!!

yes, and in addition probably the MVP of World U-18 Cup in August next to Malkin.
He stole both game against Canada with Crosby, Wolski, Dubnyk and others...
He has flaws but has also great upside.

X-SHARKIE

Blue Bullet said:
I can't believe this board. You watch a guy in two games and you think you know more than professional scouts. Both McKeens and Redline think he deserved to go top 5. He's been playing great all season and played well in the other games in the U20 tournament. He has 2 work on technique but he was a better goalie than Fleury in the tournament.

:bow: :bow: I'm glad you said what you did. Schwarz is still a bonafied top goaltending prospect. I thought he played very well at the WJC in fact. Canada was much better then the Czech squad. Also Schwarz is a young kid, not to mention Schwarz amazed me vs Finland in the tournament.
Scwarz over Dubnyk and Montoya. Done deal.
Schremp falling is a bit, well puzling. I still see him getting picked by some team, whose scout thinks like me, in the top 10 for sure. No way he'll fall out of there. He's actually a good kid. Sammi Lepsito is a bit overhyped. Saying he's as good as Pitkanen is a bit off beat, but I love the player, He well make some team (cough Detriot) cough look like a genius late in the 1st round.

Last edited:

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Schwarz will be the first goalie picked in the draft, anyone trying to claim otherwise is just deluding themselves. Of course, with the WJCs = GOD crowd around here that's not much of a surprise. Scouts look at more than just numbers from exhibition tournaments, and when they start comparing a guy to Dominik Hasek you are going to need to be pretty spectacular to beat him out (i.e. Fleury/Lehtonen level). No one else in this draft qualifies.

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
That's one perspective........
I reeealllly like Alvaro Montoya, but Marek Schwarz is just something else.

I saw him play three twice, twice romped by team Canada... but the guy's an extremely similar player to Dominic Hasek. Possibly the most flexible goaltender I've ever seen... he's also super quick.

Alvaro looks like he'll go at #2... possibly #3... and he's got that Ed Belfour type game. Positionally sound, and all that good stuff.

FiveforFighting

Jan 31, 2003
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:

Two glaring mistakes I see... Travis Zajac at 20? That is almost laughable! All of my BCHL sources say without a doubt, Kris Chucko is a better prospect and Chucko is ranked very low.

Adam Pineault 21st? The much heralded Pineault has regularly been BENCHED over at Boston College. He only got into a game recently because BC was down bodies. He has seriously regressed in his development and would be wise not to opt-in to this year's draft, he SHOULD slide significantly if he does.

The question raised about Pineault has been this: Is he just coasting by this year so he can turn pro next year? His dad FORCED him to go to BC... Adam wanted to go to Moncton (QMJHL) because he felt that was his fastest track to the NHL.

So if Adam is just coasting to get to the draft... how much will this "coasting" hurt his career.

Once considered a sure-fire 1st rounder, talk is Adam could slip to the 3rd round.

A. He will lose a significant amount of $$$ that would be due to him as a 1st rounder.

C. He'll have to re-dedicate himself because even if he is coasting, some of those skills have now re-gressed and the level that he is at now, is not pro-hockey worthy.

If I was Adam, A. I wouldn't be coasting this year and B. I wouldn't opt-in this year, I'd wait, get drafted next year then have 2 years of NCAA eligiblity left and play them out while developing in a great program at BC.

A.If Adam was to opt in this year he would lose his college eligibility and be unable to play for BC in the future.

B. Give the kid a break! He's a freshman on a stacked team and probably the youngest player in Hockey East this year. Limited playing time in his situation is almost automatic.

C.

AE12

Dec 6, 2003
MI
Visit site
Schlep Rock said:

I just watched the BC/BU game (which is one of the biggest rivalries in college hockey), and Pineault scored 2 goals. The second goal was absolutely magnificent. Pineault was also named the 1st star of the game, not to shabby for the youngest player in Div. 1 hockey in the country. You have to remember that BC has a very deep roster, one that must sit freshmen and others from time to time. All 3 freshmen forwards have sat out games so far. York relies heavily on his upperclassmen. This is a known fact. York develops his freshmen over the year. As far as coasting at BC, NO ONE can coast at this top school.
You need to get the facts before you post. Adam Pineault did not opt into the "Q" draft when he was drafted by Moncton. If he was dead set on major junior he would have done so. Also, Pineault is playing on the #2 team in the country (which I am sure we will see at least in the frozen four)with great players and one of the best college coaches in the history of the game. BC's program is exceptional. Pineault made the right decision to go to BC, and from what I have heard it was Adam's dream to play for BC. I didn't hear he was dreaming of Moncton.

SpezNc2

Mar 3, 2002
Rabid Ranger said:
Right about what? I'm more inclined to trust a professional scout's opinion (who is Canadian by the way) over that of some xenophobic Canadians that frequent this board. Face it guys, hockey isn't just *your* game anymore. Get used to it.

Euh, it still OUR sport....

Hockey IS Canada / Canada IS Hockey :yo:

Remember this... :D :D

AE12

Dec 6, 2003
MI
Visit site
Pineault

Schlep Rock said:

I just watched the BC/BU game (which is one of the biggest rivalries in college hockey), and Pineault scored 2 goals. The second goal was absolutely magnificent. Pineault was also named the 1st star of the game, not to shabby for the youngest player in Div. 1 hockey in the country. You have to remember that BC has a very deep roster, one that must sit freshmen and others from time to time. All 3 freshmen forwards have sat out games so far. York relies heavily on his upperclassmen. This is a known fact. York develops his freshmen over the year. As far as coasting at BC, NO ONE can coast at this top school.
You need to get the facts before you post. Adam Pineault did not opt into the "Q" draft when he was drafted by Moncton. If he was dead set on major junior he would have done so. Also, Pineault is playing on the #2 team in the country (which I am sure we will see at least in the frozen four)with great players and one of the best college coaches in the history of the game. BC's program is exceptional. Pineault made the right decision to go to BC, and from what I have heard it was Adam's dream to play for BC. I didn't hear he was dreaming of Moncton.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
AE12 said:

Thing about the QMJHL draft was the Pineault wanted to play for the Halifax Mooseheads since he and Jim Sharrow are good friends. Moncton got wind that Pineault was going to get drafted by the Moose in the 2nd round and play for them. Moncton then picked him hopping that he would play for them. So he did have intentions to come to the Q, but just he only wanted to play for one team.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Mooseheads may be in a playoff position if they did draft Pineault and they may have been unstopable next year with Bernier, picard, Gunner going back.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
JasonMacIsaac said:
Mooseheads may be in a playoff position if they did draft Pineault and they may have been unstopable next year with Bernier, picard, Gunner going back.

I would have loved to see a Vrana, Pineault, Sparre line here in Halifax that would have been awsome IMO.

AE12

Dec 6, 2003
MI
Visit site
moosefan said:
Thing about the QMJHL draft was the Pineault wanted to play for the Halifax Mooseheads since he and Jim Sharrow are good friends. Moncton got wind that Pineault was going to get drafted by the Moose in the 2nd round and play for them. Moncton then picked him hopping that he would play for them. So he did have intentions to come to the Q, but just he only wanted to play for one team.

If Pineault was serious about the Q, he would have opted into the draft.

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
A question regarding opting in - with the impending CBA meltdown, I would think that most college players would choose to go to the draft knowing that they would then have the opportunity to sign with an NHL club (some financial certainty) before and if season starts. Any thoughts?

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
AE12 said:
If Pineault was serious about the Q, he would have opted into the draft.

you don't opt into the CHL drafts, if you are elegiable to go to that league you are on the draft list, there is no opting in.

Your statment makes no sense since he was drafted to the QMJHL 4th or 5th overall in the 1st round.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Schwarz will be the first goaltender selected in the draft because he is the most talented goaltender in the draft with the best positioning. Montoya seemd to flop around the net too much and make easy saves look hard, much like Joeseph. Schwarz is amazingly quick, much like Fleury. I don't know if he is faster at getting into the butterfly then Fleury but he is faster from post to post. You look for goaltenders with these qualities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->