New McKeen's top 100 is out: Kessel still on top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic Rattlehead*

J17ster said:
Who does Toews compare to? Stefan lol!

Its been a crazy draft year so far, Frolik, Johnson and Toews have all been ranked above or right behind Kessel this tear. Backstrom seems to be the riser right now, alot of players stock keeps changing.

Have you even watched Toews? I've seen him play in tournaments for Canada and have seen him play a couple of College games this year (thanks to the NHL Network ;) ) and I would say that he has more offensive upside than Stefan.

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
Oh ya gopher I forgot to metion. That Kessel kid has 1 ya thats right 1 more goal the Toews, so seems like a wash to me when u bring up finishing.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
USA! said:
Kessel has scored 3 goals even strength all season the rest are on minnys glorified powerplay to me 3 goals even stength is not that good. Bury the biscuit funny :biglaugh: Last night Towes made the tender look like a fool in the 2nd peroid. Although your right in the first half of the season he hit about a dozen pipes. Kessel might not win WCHA ROTY this year.

I can tell how much you watch the WCHA and watch Gopher games. Kessel has one even strength goal, one shorty and one penalty shot. He is a lock for freshman of the year. In conference no one is close to him in scoring. He is 6th overall right now. He is only six off of the leaders and two out of 4th. The only freshman over a point a game is Raymond and he is an 85 born.

And the PP. You know why it is high powered. And right around 25%. I let you figure that one out.

Chrisd

Dec 20, 2005
kessel and toews arent even that close imo...

kessel is far superior...

just like when they used to compare vanek and parise....

kessel like vanek was a much more dyamic player, game breaker, guy who will get that GWG.

Toews is about his teams 4th or 5th best player.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Sammy said:
Well , actually he has supposedly played quite well.
And he has only one less goal than the golden child, despite not getting near the quality ice time.
Thats not bad.

Considering I have seen him play quite a bit I can tell you that he hasn't played "quite well". He's been OK, but nothing that special. I don't see why he's considered a top 5 pick at this point. I mean, he's pretty much a lock to be a solid NHLer, but I don't think he has that high end upside so many people want to think he has. He's going to be a good but not amazing NHLer.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
19bruins19 said:
Have you even watched Toews? I've seen him play in tournaments for Canada and have seen him play a couple of College games this year (thanks to the NHL Network ;) ) and I would say that he has more offensive upside than Stefan.

He definately does. He'll be around a 60-75 point scorer I think in the NHL with a bunch of leadership qualities and other intangibles. He's got a GREAT head on his shoulder and can probably be a captain in the future for an NHL team.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Steve466 said:
Toews strikes me as an incredibly solid hockey player. Not an outstanding offensive talent, but extremely solid. Of course, people said that about Eric Staal when he was drafted as well.

Eric Staal is a lot better than Toews was at the same age. He has a wicked shot -- something that Toews doesn't have at the same speed or release as Eric. Eric is definately a better player at the same age and will be a better NHLer. Something in that water or whatever the Staal boys all drank...

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I bet you are right Balej

Johnson is can't miss #1 d-man

The Staals just get better and better . Look down the road and he passes early developers like Kessel. Has more upside than Toews or Mueller.

Backstorm is simply most talented skill-wise

Kessel is next.

Mueller is good at 5

Toews is clever and smooth but just not as dynamic as the top 5 IMO

USA!

Dec 26, 2004
MN_Gopher said:
I can tell how much you watch the WCHA and watch Gopher games. Kessel has one even strength goal, one shorty and one penalty shot. He is a lock for freshman of the year. In conference no one is close to him in scoring. He is 6th overall right now. He is only six off of the leaders and two out of 4th. The only freshman over a point a game is Raymond and he is an 85 born.

And the PP. You know why it is high powered. And right around 25%. I let you figure that one out.

Your Kessel a blow hard look back at everything you have ever posted on this site goof
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:
Scoring Leaders
Name, Yr GP G A Pts. Pt/GP PIM GW PP SH

T.J. Oshie, F, Fr 26 14 12 26 1.00 0 5 7 0

Phil Kessel, F, Fr 24 10 21 31 1.29 0 3 7 1

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
orcatown said:
I bet you are right Balej

Johnson is can't miss #1 d-man

The Staals just get better and better . Look down the road and he passes early developers like Kessel. Has more upside than Toews or Mueller.

Backstorm is simply most talented skill-wise

Kessel is next.

Mueller is good at 5

Toews is clever and smooth but just not as dynamic as the top 5 IMO

Frolik is offensively better potential wise than nearly everyone, its unreal how he is falling.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
USA! said:
Your Kessel a blow hard look back at everything you have ever posted on this site goof
Scoring Leaders

What was inaccurate with what he said?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
J17ster said:
Frolik is offensively better potential wise than nearly everyone, its unreal how he is falling.

Is he really falling at that much? The top six or seven in this draft seems pretty set. There will be some jockeying right up to the end but I don't anticipate a fall below five or six for Frolik.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Rabid Ranger said:
Is he really falling at that much? The top six or seven in this draft seems pretty set. There will be some jockeying right up to the end but I don't anticipate a fall below five or six for Frolik.

Im no GM, but alot of people on HF seem to have Frolik outside their top 5, which to me is a bad mistake. Id love for him to fall around the 8 or 9 pick mark, but i dont see it happening. To0 much talent.
EJ, Kessel, Staal, Mueller, Backstrom and toews (how he is ahead of Frolik i dont know) all seem to be rated above him and with other potential risers its pretty confusing to rate where Frolik will fall.
Wasnt he supposed to be a potential #1 pick at the start of the year? Average WJ, but that big an impact on his stock?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
J17ster said:
Im no GM, but alot of people on HF seem to have Frolik outside their top 5, which to me is a bad mistake. Id love for him to fall around the 8 or 9 pick mark, but i dont see it happening. To0 much talent.
EJ, Kessel, Staal, Mueller, Backstrom and toews (how he is ahead of Frolik i dont know) all seem to be rated above him and with other potential risers its pretty confusing to rate where Frolik will fall.
Wasnt he supposed to be a potential #1 pick at the start of the year? Average WJ, but that big an impact on his stock?

Frolik has been pretty "average" for the past two years. That tends to be excused because he plays against men in the Czech league, but he hasn't done all that much internationally against his peers either. At some point production has to match potential, and that hasn't happened for Frolik yet.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Rabid Ranger said:
Frolik has been pretty "average" for the past two years. That tends to be excused because he plays against men in the Czech league, but he hasn't done all that much internationally against his peers either. At some point production has to match potential, and that hasn't happened for Frolik yet.

Similar to Olesz then, played against men at a young age and didnt put up huge stats. I think it will happen for Frolik, he might not be the safest pick but its a worth a gamble IMO. I like Kessel alot, but with all his supposed "areas of problems" he still hasnt fell much at all (which i agree with), so its strange Frolik has fallen so much.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
J17ster said:
Similar to Olesz then, played against men at a young age and didnt put up huge stats. I think it will happen for Frolik, he might not be the safest pick but its a worth a gamble IMO. I like Kessel alot, but with all his supposed "areas of problems" he still hasnt fell much at all (which i agree with), so its strange Frolik has fallen so much.

Kessel does have his fair share of issues, but he also produces. People said he's been underwhelming in the NCAA, and yet he's the 2nd leading scorer on the team as a freshman and is the top freshman scorer in the country. People say he was average at best at the WJC's, yet he lead the tourney in scoring. Really, that's the bottomline with a player of his ilk. Frolik hasn't done much of anything, and scouts are starting to get nervous.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Rabid Ranger said:
Kessel does have his fair share of issues, but he also produces. People said he's been underwhelming in the NCAA, and yet he's the 2nd leading scorer on the team as a freshman and is the top freshman scorer in the country. People say he was average at best at the WJC's, yet he lead the tourney in scoring. Really, that's the bottomline with a player of his ilk. Frolik hasn't done much of anything, and scouts are starting to get nervous.

I agree, Kessel has done nothing wrong at all, and still has a very good chance at going #1 overall. I kinda understand why Frolik is falling, but i just think whoever picks him up will be one lucky team. Im not bashing Toews, and i know he is a very safe pick, good alround but he wont be a superstar but I just think Frolik has so much more upsides. Id take Frolik over Toews anyday.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Rabid Ranger said:

Exactly right. I had Frolik at 6, Toews at 7, Sheppard at 8, Brassard at 9, and Okposo at 10. Frolik certainly has the goods but hasn't shown that in either CZE men's(where he's undoubtably not expected to) and WJC(where there was talk of him being improperly used by the coach). To me Frolik is one of those that will make GM's curse themselves for not picking, but his draft position will be warranted. For those same reasons I can see someone like Backstrom really catch some teams eye at 1, 2, or 3. His production on the SEL level at this young age makes you wonder how unreal his upcurve is. If he could step in the NHL next year and settle in just fine, what's stopping someone like St.Louis from picking him? IMO he's so refined compared to his peers that I'm just expecting top 3. Okposo could be another flavor of the day in late June. Similar to a Ladd, a team lacking skilled toughness (actually, Every team could use that) could gamble top 5 with Kyle.

I think Little will fall like Schremp, not as great say around 10-20, and Joensuu will fall like Latendresse. Does John de Gray remind anyone of a Marc Staal-lite? Tall, lanky, shutdowner. He seems like he has some Staal smarts and could definately take to an offensive increase next year with some experience under his belt.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
USA! said:
Scoring Leaders

I said in conference. Like the WCHA is a conference. Where Kessel has 8g and 14a for 22 points. Where Oshie has 7g and 7a for 14 points. And in conference he is a lock for WCHA ROTY which you said he might not even win. So if you are going to say i am off. Next time be sure to read the post and not just jump to comclusions. Makes you look bad.

I am big on Kessel. But have you not seen me defend Towes on many occasions. I like the NCAA and even though he is a NoDak'e-in. I give him credit. If you are getting at me being biased and least make for the whole NCAA and just one gopher player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad