New League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sensored

May 20, 2004
Ottawa
you want to fix the league heres what i purpose you do:

first make a new league called the NAHL (North American Hockey League) with three conferences six divisions and 24 teams

Canadian Division

East

Montreal Canadiens
Ottawa Senators
Toronto Maple Leafs
Quebec Nordiques

West

Vancouver Canucks
Edmonton Oilers
Calgary Flames
Winnipeg Jets

Western Conference

North Division

Minnesota Wild
Colombus Blue Jackets
St.Louis Blues
Colorado Avalanche

South Division

San Jose Sharks
Los Angeles Kings
Phoenix Coyotes
Dallas Stars

Eastern Conference

North Division

Detroit Red Wings
Buffalo Sabres
Boston Bruins
New Jersey Devils

South Division

New York Islanders
New York Rangers
Philadelphia Flyers
Tampa Bay Lightning

For the playoffs have the top team in each division making 1-6 and the teams with the most points 7-12. Have a 72 game season with each team playing each other 3 times.

Secondly have a clause in the new contract that has a salary cap and a one-time reduction in salaries.

Third have the same rosters for the teams remaining with quebec getting carolina's players and winnipeg getting florida's and the players that had their teams fold become free agents.

This way we'd have a super league with teams in cities that care and profits so that the teams can remain where they're.

:) let the flames begin

Last edited:

Drrocket9

Sep 29, 2004
i like the concept, but.....

how would you set up playoffs with 12 teams? 1st round byes?

would you go 4 top division winners get byes, while 5-12 play each other down to 4 teams, and then go against the 4 bye teams?

Feb 12, 2003
I love how 8 teams just disappear and Winnipeg & Quebec reappear in the process.

Playoffs don't work well in terms of seeding in anything less the exponents of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32 teams, etc.) You can't split 3 into any of those numbers evenly, so it becomes a more complicated process than necessary. You could just take the top 16 teams from all 3 conferences, but again the 3's don't work as nicely.

I'd rather see either 4 total division of 7-8 teams each, and go back to that similar format of the past.

mzon

Feb 13, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
SENS4EVER said:
Third have the same rosters for the teams remaining with quebec getting phoenix's players and winnipeg getting florida's and the players that had their teams fold become free agents.

This way we'd have a super league with teams in cities that care and profits so that the teams can remain where they're.

:) let the flames begin

If Quebec gets Phoenix's players who would play for Phoenix?

BTW
This is a terrible idea.

Feb 12, 2003
MR. X said:
If Quebec gets Phoenix's players who would play for Phoenix?

BTW
This is a terrible idea.
Forgot to mention Phoenix is on his 24 team list.

Shouldn't something like this maybe be designated for the fantasy forum? Some proposals are realistic while some are quite the fantasy.

Sensored

May 20, 2004
Ottawa
StanJohns said:
how would you set up playoffs with 12 teams? 1st round byes?

would you go 4 top division winners get byes, while 5-12 play each other down to 4 teams, and then go against the 4 bye teams?

your absouletly right, i guess i didnt put much thought into the playoff configuration. Actually now that i think about it it would be better if it remained the same and we had 16 teams in the playoffs more money for the teams that way.

And my mistake with the Phoenix thing i meant to write Carolina.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Its not a bad idea. The only thing I would add is that each team should get $200 for passing go. It does hit on the problem though. Half the teams dont make the playoffs. The best solution would be a 16 team league where everyone makes the playoffs. Otherwise there is too big a revenue disparity. There still will be as some teams will make 4 rounds of revenue and others only one, but still it will be better than now.

Brent Burns Beard