New League Format

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
I KNOW this is a far fetched idea but stay with me here.

What if the NHL split into two leagues. A canadian League and an American league. (much like soccer leagues) Completely sperate of each other. This way Canada could probably have 10 teams and could the traditions in hockey. And down south they could keep at the major teams and create/sell a more american style of hockey that would be more appealing to an american veiwer. A by product of this is International Tournements would mean ALOT more.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA

What if the NHL split into two leagues. A canadian League and an American league. (much like soccer leagues) Completely sperate of each other. This way Canada could probably have 10 teams and could the traditions in hockey. And down south they could keep at the major teams and create/sell a more american style of hockey that would be more appealing to an american veiwer. A by product of this is International Tournements would mean ALOT more.
Probably because Canada could not support 10 teams. Don't you think if they could support 10 teams in Canada they would?

What is "american style of hockey?"

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
No offense but that would be the death of the Canadian teams. The American teams would be able to outspend them for the top talent. Unless of course it's more of a baseball setup but that would just be realigning the league into a northern conference and a southern conference.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
I've got to say, this is one of the poorer ways of pandering to an American market that will NEVER catch onto the game on a national basis I have heard in a while.

YogiCanucks

Jan 1, 2007
Vancouver BC
haha I said it was far fetched.

But Canada COULD support 10 teams because they'd no longer be running up against an American market. The way you said it was kind of contradicts how Junior hockey works. I mean WHL supports about 26 teams. How is that possible since Canada supposidly can't support even 10? Because they are smaller markets and arn't running up against big american coperations, I'm not saying we should have 10 Junior sized team markets but just a bit smaller than NHL but much bigger than CHL.

I'm not totally for this idea either I just was wonder what you guys thought.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA

But Canada COULD support 10 teams because they'd no longer be running up against an American market. The way you said it was kind of contradicts how Junior hockey works. I mean WHL supports about 26 teams. How is that possible since Canada supposidly can't support even 10? Because they are smaller markets and arn't running up against big american coperations, I'm not saying we should have 10 Junior sized team markets but just a bit smaller than NHL but much bigger than CHL.

What might happen is that all the top players would go to the US league. In the long run, it may hurt Canada internationally as the US maybe able to produce more players.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Somewhere here (I'm not digging it out, someone else can) there was a discussion of whether a "Canada only" league could survive. The answer was a resounding "NO".

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

Wow what a bad idea. Divide the NHL up into 2 leagues. 2 leagues that play hockey by different rules and that have a drastically different number of teams in each league. Seriously the worst idea ever posted on HFBoards.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005

So you want an NHL where the USA has the top talent and the Canadian teams have the scraps like the CFL/NFL?

I don't understand this logic at all. The NHL has 6 teams in Canada - All are very strong teams in strong markets able to compete against teams in LA or New York or Philly or Toronto for that matter. So you add Winnipeg, Quebec City and a second team in Southern Ontario. That is 9 teams. These are the only teams that could be compete with the existing 6 Canadian Teams. But you want 10 teams. Why not 20 teams? If you essentially want Canada to have minor league hockey, why not a Victoria, Saskatoon, Regina, Windsor, Sudbury, Trois Rivieres, Moncton, Halifax, St. John's teams?

You want to make Canada to be minor league but you only want franchises in Canadian Cities capable of actually competing within the NHL?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->