New Jersey to overhaul uniforms for 2017-2018 season, Part 4: and Gnashing of Teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
honestly don't notice them whatsoever throughout the course of the game
During play I don't really - I occasionally get distracted by the absence of a hem stripe, because it's something my brain uses to key in on a team being the Devils, and every once in a while I have to give my head a shake because I look up and instinctively think I'm watching Ottawa or Carolina. But it really bothers me when they zoom in.

Its a Trap

Yes I’m still here to piss you off
The whites definitely look better than the reds but I have always thought that even with the bottom stripes anyway. I'm not gonna go out of my way to purchase a jersey cause I never wear them anyway. Our old jerseys were definitely better but I think the longer this season goes on people will forget about it, especially if our success continues. I'm much happier being 4-1 wearing these jerseys than being 1-4 wearing the old ones.
I'd rather be 4-1 with the old jersey.

Reactions: NJDevils7

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I'm disappointed that no part of the jersey honors the RockinRollers. Heritage!

iu

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I'm disappointed that no part of the jersey honors the RockinRollers. Heritage!

Please dont give Adidas any ideas.

Once the sales volume dipps from the suckers rushing to get the "new thing" and they go for "redesign 2.0", I will hunt you down if the next Devils jersey has a music staff on the bottom.

gomek

Jul 10, 2007
funny, after some people expressed the view that the jerseys don't (or shouldn't) really matter, I did immediately think of the Rock and Rollers jersey. I can't help but thinking that having a nice (or even passable) jersey would have helped their promotion exponentially (back in the day). I own a ton of jerseys and love NJ but can't imagine ever wearing one of those monstrosities.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I am not a sucker for liking the look of the road jersey and buying it. The white one is less busy without the hem stripe and makes it look sharp IMO. The red one though is obviously bad.

Last edited:

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
They’ve grown on me a lot more than I thought they would. I prefer the old design for sure, but I think they managed to avoid some of the oddities with the adidas template (collars, drooping hem stripes). Now I don’t view the jersey as negativity as I did when it was first released.

Still think that if the jersey always looked like this, people wouldn’t be shitting on it so much. Its really not that bad. It’s not even close to some of the crap other teams have worn through the years.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Random but can anyone with an Adidas jersey measure the arm bands and do the same for a Reebok? I'm interested in the difference.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
They’ve grown on me a lot more than I thought they would. I prefer the old design for sure, but I think they managed to avoid some of the oddities with the adidas template (collars, drooping hem stripes). Now I don’t view the jersey as negativity as I did when it was first released.

Still think that if the jersey always looked like this, people wouldn’t be ****ting on it so much. Its really not that bad. It’s not even close to some of the crap other teams have worn through the years.

That's true. If they started out this way people wouldn't care. But I doubt they would make it 35 years without adding hem stripes or reducing the floaties. When Lou took over eventually I'm sure he would've fixed them to put his own stamp on it.

The collars I'd expect to be fixed next year. Not aesthetically pleasing. You're hearing a lot of grumbling from Rag, Hab, Hawks fan regarding that

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
That's true. If they started out this way people wouldn't care. But I doubt they would make it 35 years without adding hem stripes or reducing the floaties. When Lou took over eventually I'm sure he would've fixed them to put his own stamp on it.

The collars I'd expect to be fixed next year. Not aesthetically pleasing. You're hearing a lot of grumbling from Rag, Hab, Hawks fan regarding that
And ours are actually one of the better looking collars in the league. The ones you mentioned are atrocious

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
And ours are actually one of the better looking collars in the league. The ones you mentioned are atrocious

It is surprising that original 6's would let that happen. NHL jerseys as fat collared crew necks just doesn't seem to work. The NFL tried this a few years ago and it was universally panned. The fat toilet seat collars.

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ

I'd go with, "ugly", not aesthetically pleasing is kind.

Huh? How are they any different. All the collars on these jerseys are awful.

Yeah, that's just want I want, a giant NHL logo right under my pie hole.

NjDevsRR

Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
I'd go with, "ugly", not aesthetically pleasing is kind.

Huh? How are they any different. All the collars on these jerseys are awful.

Yeah, that's just want I want, a giant NHL logo right under my pie hole.
No no no. Looks at the white collars the Habs and Hawks have..they are BRUTAL. Makes ours look good. That is how bad they are. They look like chokers.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
No no no. Looks at the white collars the Habs and Hawks have..they are BRUTAL. Makes ours look good. That is how bad they are. They look like chokers.

OMG that is horrible. I think they're all terrible with the giant NHL logo on your neck, but this Chicago jersey just looks silly.

Adidas-jerseys.jpg

gomek

Jul 10, 2007
That's pretty funny. The toilet seat comment is spot on.

But back to a previous comment that people wouldn't mind so much if the jerseys were always like that. To be honest along with the fact that I find honoring the Newark Bulldogs (or whatever) to be terribly disrespectful to the 3 Stanley Cup winning teams... Is that fact that a large degree of my hatred of the new uniforms is because they look so similar to the knock off jerseys [sorry... correction 'apparel' ] that they sold in the 90s. (it was either K-mart or Models or both). I always hated the look of those things and wondered at games why people can afford $200 tickets to sit in the lower levels but can't afford $50 for a licensed replica jersey (like one that don't look like crap).

And not to mention the various pajamas that they used to sell in the old River City catalogs. So yeah, the fact that they're ugly is only part of it.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Well, not because I like it, but because I have to acknowledge that it is part of the teams history, I went against my better judgement and walked away from the last game with this:

20171021_145529 (2).jpg
20171021_145618 (2).jpg

I was looking at it wondering why it looked so damn big but actually fit well. I finally figured out the reason is twofold: 1. It's a sea of red that makes the jersey look way longer than it actually is and 2. the logo is smaller, adding to the sea of red. I still don't like it. In fact, it looks even worse when you see it up close. But it is a part of Devils history. I'm not delusional enough to believe me buying or not buying one will have any impact whatsoever on the future usage of the jersey by the team on the ice.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
They look like cheap replica jerseys, both the reds & the whites.

And the whites look worse, not better, because you can see right through the cheap things. But that's not to save money, it's for " breatheability". Riggghhhhhttttt......

Reactions: Bosskarelli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad